armed to the teeth in everyday life

Lloyd Dupont

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

One could go the Serenity/Firefly root. Armed to the teeth, gotta problem with that?

Not to be a poop (well, okay, kinda), but for all his personal arsenal, Jayne seldom moves in public brandishing arms.  When he does, it's very specific to the circumstances and the expectations of company.  That said, it's a great show and a fine example of how even "lawless" society treats the imminently violent.

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

26 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Not to be a poop (well, okay, kinda), but for all his personal arsenal, Jayne seldom moves in public brandishing arms.  When he does, it's very specific to the circumstances and the expectations of company.  That said, it's a great show and a fine example of how even "lawless" society treats the imminently viol

Okay, old poop. (kinda)...I have neve known you to be contrarian, ever :)

It has been a while a long while and memories do fade but never mind Jayne and his crewmates it ssems everyone was armed to the teeth and many of 'em doing it openly. Hope i managed to give you something else to be contrarian about :)

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

24 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

It has been a while a long while and memories do fade but never mind Jayne and his crewmates it ssems everyone was armed to the teeth and many of 'em doing it openly. 

I'm really not trying to be contrary.  I was just watching the show again recently, and right now I'm watching The Mandalorian.  Another good show, and I couldn't help but compare it in structure and tone to Firefly.  Of course, unlike Jayne, who exhibits some degree of discretion appropriate to the time and place, the Mandalorian himself

And I'm not giving away any spoilers here

goes everywhere armed to the teeth and wearing combat armor, and it doesn't seem to limit his social interactions.  I mean, sure, the only places he seems to go are bounty hunter cantinas and war zones, but everyone seems all chill with his rifle, blasters, and combat armor that he's absolutely never without, because it's a well known and accepted part of his religion and...well...um, this is Star Wars.  One woman even falls in love with him through his helmet.  Again, the expectations of society at large, and the people of Star Wars are psychotic.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

...  One woman even falls in love with him through his helmet ...

waitWHAT??!?

<boggles>

15 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

...  and the people of Star Wars are psychotic.

... evidently.

C'es ne pas un .sig

21 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

One woman even falls in love with him through his helmet.

i literally just had this argument with my male roommate: he is a kind, gentle, caring, capable man who is risking his entire life for an alien child he doesn't even know, do you have any idea what that's worth on the market?

men have no idea. no. idea. that man is worth one thousand handsome dickbags. you should see the men my female friends date, they'd murder for a shot at the mandalorian.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

I'm really not trying to be contrary.  I was just watching the show again recently,

well we all know remembering incedents from long ago is less accurate than recently viewed incidents (or we should)  so how many of the other folk (other than the working girls) are, as I was saying, in either the series or movie armed to the teeth, Ian? Me, my memories of Jayne were of a psycotic in love with his weapons that he carried often. Thanks for the correction, you old... pedant! :)

47 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

men have no idea. no. idea. that man is worth one thousand handsome dickbags. you should see the men my female friends date, they'd murder for a shot at the mandalorian.

Please, don't play the You-Don't-Know card on me -- I've seen Shane.  I know how this story plays out.  You should see the men my divorced female friends marry.  Besides, she falls for him within, like, a day, maybe two.  Sure, it's not the face she's interested in -- it's the machismo and domestic security.

All that said, after however many weeks later at the end of the episode, I'm down with her feelings.  And yet they're all still psychotic.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
Dang! I forgot my smileys again. 👉🏾🐵👈🏾

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

... that man is worth one thousand handsome dickbags...

Please recalibrate.  Dickbags have a negative value (handsome or otherwise).

(1000) * (a negatve value)  =  a VERY negative value.

I do not think that Mandalorian has the value you say he does.

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

One could go the Serenity/Firefly root. Armed to the teeth, gotta problem with that?

They might.In the real world. Aa friend of mine brother once turned a lot of heads by walking around with an SMG. Apparently he was a Nacy SEAL and didn't see what the big problem was- but he did get everybody's attention.

Some of the issues with going around armed, are as follows:

• It makes everyone nervous as they wonder why you have those weapons and what/whom are you going to use them on.
  • It make Law Enforcement worried since they are the ones who will probably have to confront you should you start using said weapons. Doubly worried if you are better armed than they are.
  • It tends to increase the armament of any opponents. Basically no one wants to get catch bring a knife to a plasma SMG fight. So if the PC are walking around carrying portable chain guns, the opposition will do their best to do the same, or better.  This tends to up the body count on both sides.
  • It ups the ante for anyone who might, for some reason, decide to attack you. This also tends to up the body count on both sides. If a PC is walking around with a plasma machine gun, nuclear hand grenade, lightsaber, etc. then anyone who is going to attack him is probably going to try to make sure the PC doesn't get a chance to use it. So somebody who might have just bonked a PC over the head and move on now hits them with everything that have in order to prevent the PC from being able to use their weapon, once., because once is more than enough.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:
  • It make Law Enforcement worried since they are the ones who will probably have to confront you should you start using said weapons. Doubly worried if you are better armed than they are.
  •  

Hey, I live in Canada, remember the game assassin that was big in the late 80s and early 90s. Tag with missions and replica weapons (obviously fake ones, but in the heat of a moment, who takes the second look required to be sure) Cops almost shot a few kids here. 

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hey, I live in Canada, remember the game assassin that was big in the late 80s and early 90s. Tag with missions and replica weapons (obviously fake ones, but in the heat of a moment, who takes the second look required to be sure) Cops almost shot a few kids here. 

I still got a copy of Steve Jackson's Killer, which I believe was basically the same idea. Toy firearms in the US today all have red tips to prevent people from accidentally shooting kids who are too young or naive to realize that not everyone knows they are just kids playing with toys. 

In my gaming experience, PCs carrying around and showing more firepower/armor works against them. Since this is an RPG, some bad guys will end up fighting them, and if they have any knowledge of the PCs and their armaments, they will arm themselves suitable to deal with he PCs weapons, if they can. So if the PCs are wearing Level III armor that can stop handgun rounds, the bad guys will make sure they have rifles capable of penetrating Level III vests. So the PCs take more damage than if they didn't show off their armor. A PC walking around with a flamethrower or light machinegun ends up drawing more fire than everybody else, because no one wants to get set afire or mowed by by a stream of bullets. 

So showing off you armor and weapons, really just tells everyone else to go big or go home, and in an RPG, somebody will opt not to go home.

7 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I still got a copy of Steve Jackson's Killer, which I believe was basically the same idea.

Yes exactly, that was the commercial version. The smart kids went on their local BBSs that had OneNet or UseNet connections and D/L ed the PD rules (that preexisted Killer, commercializing the rules caused yet another stink*). Not speaking from experience ya understand...

* the 'net, proudly causing stink since 1969!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

16 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

I still got a copy of Steve Jackson's Killer, which I believe was basically the same idea. Toy firearms in the US today all have red tips to prevent people from accidentally shooting kids who are too young or naive to realize that not everyone knows they are just kids playing with toys. 

Out of morbid interest, what hinders the bad guys masking their real weapons with such red tips that can be removed at a moment's notice?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

Out of morbid interest, what hinders the bad guys masking their real weapons with such red tips that can be removed at a moment's notice?

Shame?  Seriously, though, in reality, nothing.  Also, the red tips are just a toy manufacturer's measure, and -- in a climate where mobile phones are mistaken for firearms -- not real insurance that someone else will still not mistake the toy gun for a real one.

!i!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

...  Also, the red tips are just a toy manufacturer's measure, and -- in a climate where mobile phones are mistaken for firearms -- not real insurance that someone else will still not mistake the toy gun for a real one.

Yeah.

In case folks aren't aware, dozens of kids are shot because they have toy guns.  The red tip doesn't seem to help much.

• Sad 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

In case folks aren't aware, dozens of kids are shot because they have toy guns.  The red tip doesn't seem to help much.

Because we really can't put too fine a point on it, this is in great part why toy manufacturers have gone to great lengths to make squirt guns and Nerf guns in such bright colors and outlandish shapes and sizes.  And yet people, mostly children, are still killed on occasion for pissing someone off with a squirt gun.

Getting back to the OP -- be sensitive to your environment and social climate, and understand the consequences when you're flouting convention.

!i!

11 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

Because we really can't put too fine a point on it, this is in great part why toy manufacturers have gone to great lengths to make squirt guns and Nerf guns in such bright colors and outlandish shapes and sizes.  And yet people, mostly children, are still killed on occasion for pissing someone off with a squirt gun.

Things are beyond reason.

A couple of kids were shot (not by police) earlier this month for throwing snowballs.  God I hope they catch that asshole...

• Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

23 hours ago, Joerg said:

Nothing.. Nor does anything prevent them from painting the tips of their weapons red so they can be used with a red tip. Ten seconds and a roll of red electrical tape. Still, I'm not sure if the bad guys have much to gain by groing around with a red tipped weapon in the first place. It might help a lone gunman with a non-concealable weapon, but a half dozen guys going into the bank, with red tipped shotguns,  wearing ski masks are probably going to get the same reaction.

The idea behind the law was that it would prevent accidental shootings of kids because everyone would recognize that they had a toy gun and not a real one. If it actually accomplished it's goal or not is debatable And then of course there are all the plastic "combat knives" and such going around that are all grey.. I look at it as another one of those "Do something/feel good" laws that are made with good intentions to try to solve a problem but probably don't really improve the situation. If a teenager on a dark night, is 30 feet away,, carry something shaped like a firearm, well, I doubt anyone will spot the red tip.

A friend bought a shotgun from a shop just around the corner from a police station, so he walked in to register it, but with it over his shoulder. He got a few funny looks, then a policeman came up and asked if there was something he could help with. When he explained, the policeman said to come to his desk, then nonchalantly added "Next time, could you break it and leave it open, so we can see there are no shells loaded?" He then realised that he could have been tasered by a dozen policemen, quite easily.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 minutes ago, soltakss said:

A friend bought a shotgun from a shop just around the corner from a police station, so he walked in to register it, but with it over his shoulder. He got a few funny looks, then a policeman came up and asked if there was something he could help with. When he explained, the policeman said to come to his desk, then nonchalantly added "Next time, could you break it and leave it open, so we can see there are no shells loaded?" He then realised that he could have been tasered by a dozen policemen, quite easily.

Great story! 

I wonder... and I guess it could be possible on some planet that if they see in big armor, they send heavily armored official to check you (heavily armored for safety) and then billed the person for the extra cost they inccured! :P 

In fact it might be a fun way to reduce player's money and incentivise more stealthy gear at the same time....

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1