Magic in Glorantha

Martin

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I think the more obvious question is: do you want more RuneQuest products or do you want a comic?

Yes, I think too, this is a matter of available resources (i.e. man-power and time), not a matter of money or payment. I'm pretty sure, Jeff as well as Kalin would be happy to continue Prince of Sartar - if there wouldn't be so many other tasks to be fullfilled and not enough time to do it ...

Edited by Oracle

13 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I think the more obvious question is: do you want more RuneQuest products or do you want a comic?

Well, I already know my products will be a ways off anyway... So I'd choose the comic, which would be available in the here and now.... Not the book which *might* be 6 months, or might be 2 years.

It really depends on the offset. How much in resources are taken away from one to do the other. What's the final impact? 

43 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Well, I already know my products will be a ways off anyway... So I'd choose the comic, which would be available in the here and now.... Not the book which *might* be 6 months, or might be 2 years.

It really depends on the offset. How much in resources are taken away from one to do the other. What's the final impact? 

Well writing Prince of Sartar would require Jeff to nearly completely stop work on the RQG books he's working on currently, delaying GaGoG and probably the Gamemaster Handbook indefinitely.

Edited by Richard S.

On 1/20/2020 at 7:09 PM, Shiningbrow said:

... So I'd choose the comic, which would be available in the here and now...

I think you underestimate how much effort they put in to that project!  Both of them have said that it takes a lot of time.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 1/21/2020 at 4:52 AM, Richard S. said:

Well writing Prince of Sartar would require Jeff to nearly completely stop work on the RQG books he's working on currently, delaying GaGoG and probably the Gamemaster Handbook indefinitely.

Writing one page per week can't possibly be a full-time job.

That said, it's probably correct to prioritize at least the Cults book and the GM book.

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Writing one page per week can't possibly be a full-time job.

Have you seen the crazy amount of detail Jeff puts in art direction? I wouldn't be surprised if one page of Prince of Sartar was half a page of dialogue and action description followed by 3  pages of references and details about every single object/statue/weapon/tunic/etc. featured in the panels.

To go back to the OP, one thing to describe about magic usage in Glorantha is how many focii people typically carry on them for Spirit Magic. They touch a tatoo or an object on their belt or bead on a braid on their head or a piece of jewelry or the hilt of their sword or some carving inside their shield or whatever. RQG p254 has a whole bunch of examples. I ask my players to come up with ideas of these focii as they use their spells the first time (after combat), with a guarantee that their choice won't be used against them (so that they don't need to worry about losing access to a spell because they lost the object on which the focus was.... MGF over simulationism and all that). It adds flavour as opposed to an actual visual/auditory cue, but it's another part of describing magic.

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

2 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Have you seen the crazy amount of detail Jeff puts in art direction? I wouldn't be surprised if one page of Prince of Sartar was half a page of dialogue and action description followed by 3  pages of references and details about every single object/statue/weapon/tunic/etc. featured in the panels.

Correct, based on everything I have read and seen. So for all that is holy (mind, you that seems to encompass an awful lot on the lozenge), please, leave the poor overworked underpaid and underfed slaves, unfree, err, writers, editors and artists be :)... It's like the engines on Star Trek the original generation;

They nae canna take any more, Cepten,  ya nae canna change tha laws of physics.

—Scotty, in every second episode!

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

12 hours ago, lordabdul said:

with a guarantee that their choice won't be used against them (so that they don't need to worry about losing access to a spell because they lost the object on which the focus was.... MGF over simulationism and all that).

I like that you do that, but losing a focus doesn't mean losing the spell. It just takes longer to cast. And foci can be re-inscribed...

• Like 1

One possibility is that the magical side effects vary by who is doing the perceiving, in addition to who is doing the casting. As outliers, a troll’s primary sense is ‘hearing’, a dwarf’s is touch, etc., so their experience of magic could be very extremely different. Within a species, perception may be culturally influenced. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1