Runequest PbP?

Grey Hat

Newbie to Runequest though I haven’t been able to play the game. I did buy the new Runequest Glorantha book and it started the itch again. Does anyone here know of any PbP games? Any help would be most appreciated!

Amended: I don’t do the online gaming sites like Roll20 as I’m deaf and my free time in RL is fluid.

Edited by Grey Hat
  • Like 1

I have been giving some thought of running a little RQ G PbF game using Classic RQ 2 modules so necessarily a lot less powerful than RAW, set in the year 1611 and a wee bit non canonical. Newcomers preferred because of the classic modules, (I know, anyone without scruples can find walkthrus, spoilers, and even illegal modules scattered all over the ‘net, so I will have to hope for the best). It is tempting, I will have to give it a bit of thought. The work load for a PbF GM might be incredible. Any thoughts on the matter @jajagappa?

Anyway the intention is to be something fun or I am not interested. For what it is worth, it is fun to play PbF. Just started and while a different mindset, then table top pen and paper, it has it’s own appeal.

So, PbP is this ol' skool envelopes, stamps and mailmen, Play by Post—or something new?

• Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

57 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I have been giving some thought of running a little RQ G PbF game using Classic RQ 2 modules so necessarily a lot less powerful than RAW, set in the year 1611 and a wee bit non canonical. Newcomers preferred because of the classic modules, (I know, anyone without scruples can find walkthrus, spoilers, and even illegal modules scattered all over the ‘net, so I will have to hope for the best). It is tempting, I will have to give it a bit of thought. The work load for a PbF GM might be incredible. Any thoughts on the matter @jajagappa?

Anyway the intention is to be something fun or I am not interested. For what it is worth, it is fun to play PbF. Just started and while a different mindset, then table top pen and paper, it has it’s own appeal.

So, PbP is this ol' skool envelopes, stamps and mailmen, Play by Post—or something new?

Ooh I'd be down for an RQC PbF game. I may not be a complete newcomer but I haven't given any of the modules a terribly thorough read. Oh, and PbP means pretty much the same thing as PbF nowadays.

Responding to the OP, I don't know of any ongoing ones, but it could be fun to start one yourself. The biggest problem I could see with using RQG is combat; with as involved of a system as it is, fights could last for days! Especially if your players aren't consistently online. I'd suggest cutting out some parts of combat, maybe even subbing in something simpler like Pendragon's system. I know there's several successful PbPs using HQG, but one with RQG would be awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Ooh I'd be down for an RQC PbF game. I may not be a complete newcomer but I haven't given any of the modules a terribly thorough read. Oh, and PbP means pretty much the same thing as PbF nowadays.

Responding to the OP, I don't know of any ongoing ones, but it could be fun to start one yourself. The biggest problem I could see with using RQG is combat; with as involved of a system as it is, fights could last for days! Especially if your players aren't consistently online. I'd suggest cutting out some parts of combat, maybe even subbing in something simpler like Pendragon's system. I know there's several successful PbPs using HQG, but one with RQG would be awesome.

If Bill the Barbarian passes on his, I'd be up to running a RCQ game. I'd need some leeway and some player help but yeah, I can run something not published. Maybe start out with a tribal rite of manhood and then go from there. I could use some suggestions where to start as Glotantha is pretty damn big.  That is, if I'm going to run something.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The work load for a PbF GM might be incredible. Any thoughts on the matter @jajagappa?

Character creation and getting it off the ground are the most intensive phases.  Once underway, the games develop a particular pace for the group. The "workload" varies somewhat proportionally to the number of characters (and I do mean characters as you may have multiple per player and you should account for 'significant' NPCs who might accompany the PCs). Anything over 8 becomes very challenging.

I tend to be more narrative "heavy" or descriptive, and that takes more time too. Combat (in RQG) or other extended contests (more an HQG concept, but can be applied in RQG) require more interaction.  (RQ2/3 are worse in that regard than RQG as magic and augments help shorten the combat.) Combat for RQ often needs layouts for positioning, and diagramming those and updating round-by-round. (One plus with HQG is you don't generally need to worry about positioning.)

As with tabletop, creating your own scenarios takes more time and consideration than those you can buy. The latter often have text or dialogue you can weave directly in (particularly if you have pdf to cut-and-paste from). 

I've got both RQG and HQG games active right now. Some nights, it may take me 15 minutes to respond to updates for both, 30 minutes is probably typical, but can be longer depending on factors noted above. My RQG game tends to have updates almost daily, the HQG one varies more and may stretch to every other day or so.  Sessions or scenarios can take awhile to get through.

But overall I've found manageable. The HQG one has been going over 5.5 years now (though the cast of players has completely turned over), the RQG one over 2.5 years.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, keep an opening for me for the RQ G one, still interested. And thanks for the answer. If I might ask one more? What about having combat conducted in real time? Would a wiki-like editing PbF system with built in rolls work with every one agreeing to be there live for the big combats. or a modded for RQ, roll20 forum (I know nothing about such things)? Maybe a chat channel or a  (odd thought), a google doc with all players rolling their own hits, damages etc on an honour system. 

Thanks

32 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Well, keep an opening for me for the RQ G one, still interested. And thanks for the answer. If I might ask one more? What about having combat conducted in real time? Would a wiki-like editing PbF system with built in rolls work with every one agreeing to be there live for the big combats. or a modded for RQ, roll20 forum (I know nothing about such things)? Maybe a chat channel or a  (odd thought), a google doc with all players rolling their own hits, damages etc on an honour system. 

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there are chat (text) channels with dice-rollers (either built-in, or having an API where others have already built the dice apps).

Add a shared Google doc map, and/or other image-share(s) as needed.

That should suffice to run a combat scene... always presuming you can schedule a time that works for everyone!!!

===

The other thing, of course, is a rigorously-enforced SoI -- everyone SoI's each day, GM resolves the round, and narrates the results back.  Players reply with new SoI's.  Repeat as needed.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Just now, g33k said:

That should suffice to run a combat scene... always presuming you can schedule a time that works for everyone!!!

The main body rpggeek is runnable, (not easily, one will have to learn tag formatting from the 70s/80’s to use it) but it is good for communication and narrating a shared story back and forth. with a good from end for combat, a chat channel and google docs I could do it. But the scheduling... Bill the Cat Herder... here bootz, c’,ere whiskers, hey, smokie... Form a line... No, no, a line! Yes, indeed. So, assuming it could work, then hmm. where might I find said chat channels, rpggeek.. p’raps? 

4 hours ago, Grey Hat said:

If Bill the Barbarian passes on his, I'd be up to running a RCQ game

What if I didn’t pass?

5 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Stand by and hold that though for a moment or two.

I would not want to try this brave new world of the 70s text editing grafted onto 21 century chat and and collaborative publishing all while running one of the more complicated incomplete FRPs on the market so if we did this I would not want more that 3 players...

24 minutes ago, g33k said:

The other thing, of course, is a rigorously-enforced SoI -- everyone SoI's each day, GM resolves the round, and narrates the results back.  Players reply with new SoI's.  Repeat as needed.

Not being that good myself (ask jajagappa), I don’t think, well... Pot/kettle/black if you see what I mean,

Edited by Bill the barbarian

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

What if I didn’t pass?

Then I would like to join. But I would only do so under certain conditions as I stated in my OP.

If it came down to starting my own game, I would probably use a PbP platform like Myth Weaver's. It has a built in dice roller. Using PbP allows me time to look up the rules without holding up the game vs in real time. My RL schedule does not allow me much flexibility to schedule all the ducks in a row for one day/night.

But honestly, being this new to RQ, I'd rather let someone else take the reins. So I'll wait to see what Bill the Barbarian can offer before I do anything.

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

If I might ask one more? What about having combat conducted in real time? Would a wiki-like editing PbF system with built in rolls work with every one agreeing to be there live for the big combats. or a modded for RQ, roll20 forum (I know nothing about such things)? Maybe a chat channel or a  (odd thought), a google doc with all players rolling their own hits, damages etc on an honour system. 

Really depends on where your players reside. For my games with players ranging from central Europe to Texas and Canada, and typical real-life jobs, almost impossible to reasonably coordinate anything live. And if we can't add anything for a few days or a week for whatever reason, no big deal. Trying to fit in live content would turn something manageable (at least for me) into something much more onerous. The downside is you have to wait for conclusions, but you've go lots and lots of time to contemplate what the scorpionman is going to do next!

3 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

And if we can't add anything for a few days or a week for whatever reason, no big deal. Trying to fit in live content would turn something manageable (at least for me) into something much more onerous. The downside is you have to wait for conclusions, but you've go lots and lots of time to contemplate what the scorpionman is going to do next!

With opposed rolls that should be fine (possible even relaxing) but without real time meetups, straight up RQ combat would be an ugly slog.

3 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

but without real time meetups, straight up RQ combat would be an ugly slog.

Ah, but nowhere near as much of a slog as my old face-to-face RQ3 battle in the Elder Wilds to save the trolls from the giant two-headed Dragonsnail. That was a 12+ hour marathon (with dinner break of course - we were civilized after all!).

Actually, I've not found RQG combat to be problematic in PbP to date. Available Rune magic and augments really, really help keep combat moving.

Edited by jajagappa

12 hours ago, jajagappa said:

my old face-to-face RQ3 battle in the Elder Wilds

Snip

we were civilized after all!).

That just seems wrong, I understand Imther as a home base changes the equation from the norm it's just—those terms, civilized and Elder Wilds...  seems wrong together.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

I'd  like to toss my hat in the ring to play in one of these.  I'm currently running a game on Roll20, and would REALLY like to play in a game, somehow.  Face to Face is not an option for me and I haven't found any other RQ games on Roll20. Well, was in one, but the GM decided it required more of his time than he could afford.

Marc

37 minutes ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Is there still space?

I think Google docs/Discord could do all of this honestly.

Discord definitely would work (I may already be building a server for a potential PbP of mine), but I wouldn't like to try it on Google docs - there's too much of a risk of players editing things they shouldn't.

I have been running and playing RPGs (mostly Pathfinder, lately) in a play-by-post style on Roll20 for several years now.  A virtual table top has the advantage of having your dice and layout right to hand (as opposed to a forum play by post.)  None of my friends ever have the luck to be free to sit down and play live over VTT together, but it works fine for play-by-post.   Something like a Roll20 also lets you keep and update character sheets online with the game, as well.

Oh, also - I'd definitely be up to play in a RQG game...

6 minutes ago, mellowgoth said:

Oh, also - I'd definitely be up to play in a RQG game...

And here we are with the standard situation, way to many players and no one stepping up to run a game. One person who might run if he had the right conditions and players but no one is being picky. Everyone is just saying, I will play, oh what to do?

26 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And here we are with the standard situation, way to many players and no one stepping up to run a game. One person who might run if he had the right conditions and players but no one is being picky. Everyone is just saying, I will play, oh what to do?

I mean i could try. I have never run a game. And it'd probably a mix using RQG, with more of a Red Cow flavor... But i have never done this before...

21 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

That just seems wrong, I understand Imther as a home base changes the equation from the norm it's just—those terms, civilized and Elder Wilds...  seems wrong together.

There were many fine and civilized folk in Imther! Upstanding Yelmalions, initiates of the Conquering Daughter, sages of Irrippi Ontor, even Carmanian sorcerers had settled among them. But they were caught up in a great task to recover the famed weapons of the legendary Earthwielder.  And one of those weapons was rumored to be held far to the east in the castle of a giant high in the Rockwood Mountains.  So, of course that meant a great trek/quest across the Elder Wilds encountering and rescuing trolls, fighting off vile chaos, etc.

• Like 1

I have no doubts about the Imtherians and them being civilized.No  as I said, this creates a different paradigm. I f one is not using Imther there are fewer folk who might claim to be paragons of civilization that one might likely find in the Elder Wilds

9 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I have no doubts about the Imtherians and them being civilized.No  as I said, this creates a different paradigm. I f one is not using Imther there are fewer folk who might claim to be paragons of civilization that one might likely find in the Elder Wilds

All depends on who is questing there!