RQG Early Family History Query

Mankcam

The Early Family History is a great little document that I picked up on DrivethruRPG via the Jonston Compedium !!!

It's perfect for what I'm looking for, as I want to run characters thru some of the intial RQ2 and RQ3 material, and I like that era with the Lunar Empire overseeing everything in Sartar. By the time a decade of game time passes I hope the surviving characters will be Runemasters so they can jump into some of the RQG material.

However I have run into a few errors, unless I am doing it wrong. I was wanting to contact the author(s), but the document suggests posting any queries here on BRP Central - if this is the wrong section, I'll be happy to repost in the correct part of the forum.

My issue is this section under the 'Your History' section:

Page 8:  'Your History' - 1614 - Grazelanders Raid Tarsh

This sounds cool, as my character is a Grazer.

However the Events Table seems very wonky to me, some of it is actually unworkable.

As a Grazer you add +5 to the D20 roll, so the main event available is that you survive (which is fine). If you roll a 20, you gain +10% to your ancestor's skill (why your ancestor's skill? This is the 'Your History' section, so the PC actually acomplished this, not an ancestor. Perhaps it should be a bonus to a combat skill).

Of particular note you also have a chance of gaining the passion Hate Tarsh (which initially sounds okay), and you have another chance of gaining the passion Hate Grazers (why? Especially if you are a Grazer!). However the rationale for gaining these passions is that you are killed in battle!

So yeah, things were going great, until the unworkable Grazelanders Raid Tarsh Events Table on p8.

Not sure how to contact the authors to give this another look, so I'm posting it here as suggested by the editor.

Yes I know that this is Glorantha, and resurrection is not entirely unknown, but it does seem like it would not be part of usual character generation. No player character dies during the Background/ Family History tables in the RQG corebook, so I'm assuming this is a mistake in this document.

Everything else seems great, exactly what I wanted!

Although I also wanted my character to survive long enough for me to roll his/her attributes up. This ain't the original Traveler rpg! 😁

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

46 minutes ago, Crel said:

I think @Puckohue was involved in this project? But I'm not sure.

Yes indeed.  He collated and edited the input from this thread:

https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/8203-crowdsourced-old-characters-and-1610s-family-history

He'd be the person to contact for corrections and/or improvements, I think!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

1614 - Grazelanders Raid Tarsh

Yes, those are indeed errors. Thanks for alerting me, I'll update the file asap.

Hate (Tarsh) and Hate (Grazelands) should change places in the table.

"ancestors" (sic!) should be deleted.

Edit: Oh, and "killed in battle" should be preceded by "almost".

Edited by Puckohue
  • Like 3

Thanks @Puckohue. actually that's pretty much what I did.

I just wanted to alert one of the contributors so it gets added to an amended version at a later date. It's a great product, possibly a bit Sartarite-centric , so a bit more meat in there for the other Homelands would not go astray. But otherwise I'm really happy with the product. And the production is also very well done, it looks very similar to a pages from the RQG, so that consistency is also appreciated.

Thanks for your prompt response! 😎

Edited by Mankcam
  • Thanks 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"