Wyrms Footnotes 1-14 available again

Rick Meints

Available now as PDFs and via Print on Demand. A couple of covers are not shown because they didn't fit in well and were, in a word, bland. Individual PDFs will be $2.49 each. The PDF bundle price for all 14 issues will be $24.99. We have not figured out the POD prices, but they would be a fair bit more.

WF-all14-700.jpg

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 11

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Wahay! 

May I say a very big "Thank You" to you excellent folks at Chaosium?

Thank You!

Now, for your next trick - The Gloranthan RQ3 Supplements! 😧

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

Coming soon as PDFs and via Print on Demand.

AWESOME!  I wasn't expecting an announcement so soon about this but that's very nice to hear. I love how you say in MIG2 that "magazines are where collectors meet their downfall" :D I've been avoiding trying to collect these things on purpose, since I knew this was coming.... great news. That's one downfall avoided!

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

Now, for your next trick

I believe the Tales Of The Reaching Moon catalog is next in the "reviving old stuff".

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

9 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Coming soon as PDFs and via Print on Demand. A couple of covers are not shown because they didn't fit in well and were, in a word, bland. Individual PDFs will be $2.49 each. The PDF bundle price for all 14 issues will be $24.99. We have not figured out the POD prices, but they would be a fair bit more.

WF-all14-700.jpg

Woo Hoo!

SDLeary

My main question is how much of this stuff is going to be new? I know Glorantha publications have a tendency to repeat themselves, so I wonder what all in the WF footprints is actually stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in some more recent publication.

Edit: I know that none of this stuff is really "new", I just meant that a lot of it has never been seen by people like me who weren't there in the early years.

Edited by Richard S.

55 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

My main question is how much of this stuff is going to be new? I know Glorantha publications have a tendency to repeat themselves, so I wonder what all in the WF footprints is actually stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in some more recent publication.

Number 14, the dragon issue, had quite a bit of content I haven't seen reused, except for the art, including a scenario with dragonnewts.

8 hours ago, Richard S. said:

My main question is how much of this stuff is going to be new?

Nothing, they are reprints of about 40 year old publications. Almost all information has been recycled into Glorantha products at some time.

8 hours ago, Richard S. said:

I know Glorantha publications have a tendency to repeat themselves, so I wonder what all in the WF footprints is actually stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in some more recent publication.

Mainly details, old concepts, or surprising ideas that weren't continued. The four earliest issues deal with the White Bear and Red Moon and Nomad Gods board games rather than roleplaying, and much of that went into the Corbett rules revision of the boardgames (with the Nomad God adaptation only published by Multisim as Les Dieux Nomades). The Sourcebook has inherited most of the setting info in the later issues. The notes from the Sartar Campaign have last been accumulated in Wyrm's Footprints. Most of the fiction snippets in the early issues already were reprinted in the RQ2 RuneQuest Companion.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

12 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Being reprints, none of this is "new". Some people have sought to get a hold of older out-of-print material. This project makes about 500 pages of such material available again for $25.

Bits and pieces, and sometimes large portions of the material were reprinted later, such as in Wyrm's Footprints, but that too is long out of print. Some of the material has never been reprinted until now. We're talking about over 100 "articles". That's a lot to slice and dice and figure out whether the info was used again, or is currently in print. As has been said, a few of the articles ended up in the RQ Companion, which was out of print for over 35 years, up until about a year or so ago.

Ultimately, nobody NEEDS this material to play a Gloranthan game, unless you happened to only have a copy of White Bear & Red Moon from 1976. Then you'd find the rules clarifications and errata for the game VERY useful. Other than that, this is just a wonderful set of material from the late 70s and early 80s, when The Chaosium was a new little upstart company launching its first war games and first roleplaying game. I love how they often devote several pages to current and forthcoming products and their status. If you have ever heard people joke about Chaosium and the phrase "next year", this is where the phrase originated and became infamous. It's where Greg himself famously joked "Never heard of it" after several years of providing updates on his forthcoming HeroQuest RPG.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hope that Helps,

12 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Being reprints, none of this is "new". Some people have sought to get a hold of older out-of-print material. This project makes about 500 pages of such material available again for $25.

Ooh, definately intesting. And I beleive $25 is less than they would have cost at cover price back in the day! How often does something like that happen!

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

13 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Ooh, definately intesting. And I beleive $25 is less than they would have cost at cover price back in the day! How often does something like that happen!

The first five Wyrms Footnotes were $1.50, 6-8 were $1.75, and from 9 onwards having the princely price of $2.25. Thus, you are paying less for the PDFs than you would for the magazine back in the late 70s and early 80s. As a side note, $2.25 in 1980 is the equivalent of about $7.00 now. 

Edited by Rick Meints
details, details...
  • Like 3

Hope that Helps,

6 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

The first few Wyrms Footnotes were $1.50, upping to $1.75, and from 9 onwards having the princely price of $2.25. Thus, you are paying less for the PDFs than you would for the magazine back in the late 70s and early 80s. As a side note, $2.25 in 1980 is the equivalent of about $7.00 now. 

Yeah. That's a great deal on so many levels. We get access to old out of print stuff, we get it for less than it went for originally, and adjusted for inflation we get if for something like 25% of what they cost to but when they came out. Even if someone printed out the PDfs they would come out way ahead compared to someone from the 80s.

Congrats! All credit to the gang a Chaosium for pulling this one off.

Edited by Atgxtg
  • Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

WYRMS FOOTNOTES IS BACK! We have lovingly recreated the classic Chaosium in-house magazine and brought it into the digital age! These are not simple scans, but OCRed reproductions created by our layout team to match the original. Published from 1976 to 1982 the 14 issues span most of the early history of the company, from the dawn of tabletop gaming. Want to relive the original experience? — look no further!

Available in a single bundle of all 14 individual PDFs, or separately:
https://www.chaosium.com/wyrms-footnotes

Wyrms_Footnotes_Bundle_-_Front_Cover_-_700x900_-_PDF__47102.1580062113_500_659.png.854df3d9cdbc95ff7bc2fc2fc68fa4b0.png

Edited by MOB
  • Like 4