Do Deep Ones at a Fancy Dress Party Cause Sanity Loss?

EricW

7 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Try The Night Land as one possible setting, or innumerable post-alien invasion survivors-huddled-&-hidden amongst the ruins novels. 👽🤖👿👾

I read The Night Land a while ago and was Immediately hooked on it. On the spot I began to plan a campaign using the Big Golden Book as a base. The vibro axe in the book is practically a discos already. There was a website some where that had monster stats in D&D5thE and CoC terms somewhere, just look up gaming in The Night Land.

As for Cthulhu never invading, both the book and the campaign I am working on run on a premise like that. The game being more of a post apocalypse world where the mythos rules and the players have to use their mech suits  to help the resistance fight back, while the book is about near future superheros fighting against the return of the mythos.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, seneschal said:

No, no.  DuckDuckGo!  You don't want those bat cultists tracking your investigations.

Don't worry,  I am way ahead of you. I have seen through the lies of Google and embraced the Duckside of the net. Combined with free add blockers and vpns from Opera and the anonymous Swiss Email accounts of Protonmail, the Duck side of the net is a pathway to many searches that some consider to be untraceable. :D

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2020 at 11:38 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

The only frustrating part here.. is that they will never come.. otherwise the game will end...

Unless they do and the game becomes about surviving it.

It depends on just how crazy the stars becoming right is.

I kind of imagine that in CoC, the stars being right is behind the Late Bronze Age collapse in the Mediterranean. All those stories of sea monsters in the odyssey, the supposed demigods, the rampaging barbarian invasions of the sea peoples, cities being abandoned and people living in small villages.
It's just that mythology managed to cloak that in a more pleasant guise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:06 PM, Old Man Henerson said:

First off, Who or what is Camazotz? I have only ever heard that name come from A Winkle in Time, and that was a planet's name.

Don't let 'em put you down.  Like you, I've only ever heard the name in connection with "Wrinkle."  Why wouldn't we assume it was made up?  Especially since there were no bat or Maya associations or themes in the novel.  Are "Mongo," "Barsoom" and " Alderan" stealthily snatched from some obscure Sumerian pantheon?  Race for your preferred internet browser ... now!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tindalos said:

I kind of imagine that in CoC, the stars being right is behind the Late Bronze Age collapse in the Mediterranean. All those stories of sea monsters in the odyssey, the supposed demigods, the rampaging barbarian invasions of the sea peoples, cities being abandoned and people living in small villages.

Yep, just like the Gods War.  Almost as if....... 

Give Elmal back his Cthughan powers!!! 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Tindalos said:

That is a cool way of looking at mythology. It would also suggest that humanity is a bit stronger than H.P.L give sus credit for as some of these heroes even manage to best the gods themselves.

I actually think that plots where "the stars are right" are way more cool than the standard setting of fighting cultists and monsters in the 1920s. Once the mythos has descended upon the world, you can make up any cool apocalyptic setting you desire. Whether it be tribes of humans scrounging to survive in the shadow of the gods, rebuilding the human race with magic and ancient super science while Connan the Barbarian defends civilization, or in my case, human warriors with mech suits from Mars fighting to liberate the Eath from Evil.

24 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

That is a cool way of looking at mythology. It would also suggest that humanity is a bit stronger than H.P.L give sus credit for as some of these heroes even manage to best the gods themselves.

I think most of us would believe that. It's just not what HPL intended though or how CoC is set up to work.

24 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

I actually think that plots where "the stars are right" are way more cool than the standard setting of fighting cultists and monsters in the 1920s. Once the mythos has descended upon the world, you can make up any cool apocalyptic setting you desire. Whether it be tribes of humans scrounging to survive in the shadow of the gods, rebuilding the human race with magic and ancient super science while Connan the Barbarian defends civilization, or in my case, human warriors with mech suits from Mars fighting to liberate the Eath from Evil.

I think that's a good idea for a campaign, but one that probably would work better in a game system other than standard CoC. At least Pulp Cthulhu where the PCs are a bit stronger, or maybe even a full fledged super hero RPG. A campaign where the PCs are all superheroes trying to handle the events of the night where "the stars are right", could probably make for a great campaign (not to mention a graphic novel). The "stars are right"  could be the the Norse Ragnarok  and the Mythos nasties could be the Jontuns. Maybe Cthulhu could be the Midgard Serpent? 

• Thanks 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

1 hour ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Most of those heroes were descended from the gods, with some tellings of the Trojan War having it as a plan by Zeus to get rid of his demigod offspring.

It's possible Heracles was more similar to the Whateley twins or Helen Vaughan than anything people might regard as nice, or on "our side."

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

I think most of us would believe that. It's just not what HPL intended though or how CoC is set up to work.

On the other hand, having the stars coming right and humanity destroyed isn't exactly in keeping with HPL either -- at least not for nearly 500 years, given Nevil Kingston-Brown.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

On the other hand, having the stars coming right and humanity destroyed isn't exactly in keeping with HPL either -- at least not for nearly 500 years, given Nevil Kingston-Brown.

True.  Pretty much everything conspires to keep that from happening. HPL's stuff is like a trip on the Titanic. The characters don't know they are in danger at first, don't see 90% of the threat, and the horror comes in the realization of what is actually happening and that the end is inevitable.

• Like 2

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.