Ability Results Table

Aprewett

1 hour ago, Aprewett said:

Sorry, very noob question.

Why does the listed ranges for results not take into account the surrounding result range.

Ability 50, Critical on a 1-3, Special 4-10.... Why does it show 1-10 for special?

Are there times when a critical is not possible.

In a word - no.

A Crit is supposed to be superior to a Special. How that's played out at the table is up to the GM and players. E.g., what's a Crit Ride? Or Peaceful Cut?? 

24 minutes ago, Aprewett said:

Maybe not clear enough.

I understand the difference in system description.

But why does the table not list these numbers as per my example. On the chart.

Why show the overlap in numbers between the different results.

Does it make any difference? It's still clear that if you have a 50% skill the you get a special on a 10 or less and a critical on a 3 or less. They could list the exact ranges, sure, but I don't see how it would improve things. You just get the lowest level of success you rolled regardless of whether the numbers on the table overlap or not.

55 minutes ago, Aprewett said:

But why does the table not list these numbers as per my example. On the chart.

I am going to take a guess... You seem to not be as green as all that so,  I will assume that you have not made a mistake and that the data you quote is correct. If so, there are a lot of little details that have been missed, typos that have not been caught and a hell of an errata sheet/booklet to be written, i have to assume that is the case here. If the table does not work the rule of 1/5 of a skill being a special and 1/20 being a critical remains true. 

All that being said does not change the fact that the game is great and just needs a clean up in aisle three :) as it were.Good luck and enjoy. Oh and keep paying attention to your intuition. It seems to work fine.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

It only made a difference if there was some reason for doing it like that - the display on the chart. It was a simple and innocent beginner question, but your tone has made me feel suitably chastised, so well done.

I was only looking to see if there was a reason for it.

I was only reading the QuickStart rules, and was thinking, maybe the full rules had some ruling like; you can’t critical if you have a certain injury level or some other relevant impediment to a ability roll.

Moving around and stepping over the mess.