Any news or rumors regarding more material for 13th Age Glorantha?

spequlator

13 minutes ago, John Biles said:

I now have this mental image of the Trolls discovering the Aldryami have taken over Wonderhome and flipping out. :)

Cannot see regular elves willingly settling so far from the sun... but I do enjoy the image of flipped-out Uz!

But I'm pretty sure the Voralans have that niche downbelow sewn up ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

57 minutes ago, g33k said:

Uhhh ...

drow?

Scary, matriarchal Dark folk?

I ... think you may find a fit in Glorantha ...

And you could have the final module (where you face Lloth) as a Hero Quest too, if you were so inclined.

A lot of older D&D adventures can be adapted, and can often be had fairly cheaply. Against the Giants (which if I recall correctly is part of the same series as the Drow modules) could be run with trolls instead of giants too (Argan Argar types, say, with the Zorak Zorani in the Drow series).

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Uhhh ...

drow?

Scary, matriarchal Dark folk?

I ... think you may find a fit in Glorantha ...

Yeah, I hear you. Really.

These are just a bunch of crazy ideas. Vault of the Drow turned out to be an amazing city adventure setting for me back in the teenage years and so I was thinking of revisiting that. Probably out of badly thought-out nostalgia. But it would have to be done right. As a hallucinatory dream or something. Otherwise it would wreck Gloranthan verisimilitude. 

I don't like the whole concept of the Drow very much as presented in D&D (at once special and "better" and evil and dark-skinned), but I could have them be purple fungi-folk developed by an offshoot Aldryami Godlearner cult, meant to exterminate the Uz. 

But so far, what has worked best for me and my group is a little bit gonzo. What works in play can be very different from what works on paper. I love the Farmers Collective (or whatever it was called) and their work, but actually playing like that doesn't work for me. I need gaming to be stress relief, and scenes of a decadent Red Emperor bathing in Moon Tangerine Champagne while sending the Crimson Bat to "talk" to Delecti do the trick. 

2 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Yeah, I hear you. Really.

These are just a bunch of crazy ideas. Vault of the Drow turned out to be an amazing city adventure setting for me back in the teenage years and so I was thinking of revisiting that. Probably out of badly thought-out nostalgia. But it would have to be done right. As a hallucinatory dream or something. Otherwise it would wreck Gloranthan verisimilitude. 

I don't like the whole concept of the Drow very much as presented in D&D (at once special and "better" and evil and dark-skinned), but I could have them be purple fungi-folk developed by an offshoot Aldryami Godlearner cult, meant to exterminate the Uz. 

But so far, what has worked best for me and my group is a little bit gonzo. What works in play can be very different from what works on paper. I love the Farmers Collective (or whatever it was called) and their work, but actually playing like that doesn't work for me. I need gaming to be stress relief, and scenes of a decadent Red Emperor bathing in Moon Tangerine Champagne while sending the Crimson Bat to "talk" to Delecti do the trick. 

I think you mistake my meaning...  I think a 1:1 Drow:Uz replacement absolutely works.

You could use Cragspider, and Aranea cultists, if you wanted to lean in on the spider-y vibe in your Vault of the Uz campaign.

The only real work would be to go through and replace all the descriptive fluff:  Drow don't look like Uz, nor do their buildings, artifacts, etc.  For example, substitute the "brutalism" architectural aesthetic (maybe with some subtle curves, shaping sounds) for the original "alien beauty" vibe of Drow architecture.

For another example, I think it was in this series of modules that D&D's pistol-style "hand crossbow" arose?  For the Uz... maybe have a special sling, where one strap is a tube filled with spherical bolgs, that autofeeds as the slinger fires, allowing for a higher rate of fire than traditional slings. 

Etc etc etc...  OMG, so much etc!  All the etc!

But the core substitution works very well indeed, IMHO.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Oh, I get it. Great idea! 

Thing is, I really like Uz. I don't want them to be the major enemy. It could be an offshoot tribe of course: Cragspider's Chaos double, an unintended consequence of trying to cure the troll kin curse or something. Nothing that can't be hand waved. 

6 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Thing is, I really like Uz. I don't want them to be the major enemy. It could be an offshoot tribe of course: Cragspider's Chaos double, an unintended consequence of trying to cure the troll kin curse or something. Nothing that can't be hand waved. 

Invent some new cult... One of the OOO's disciples -- led astray by Eurmal? -- who went in an ascetic direction, or something... preached fasting and intellectualism and esoteric discipline ... 

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

Eh. I would say, "things don't really work like that" in Glorantha. Trolls are not a unified species - some trolls are good blokes, some trolls would eat you as soon as look at you, and some trolls are nicking your children for light snacks. One evil band of Uz doesn't make all Uz evil, any more than the Lunars mean that all humans are chaos worshipping cultists. About the only elder race that might be considered somewhat unified as "bad guys" would be the Mostali, and even then it's more a case of "they don't get on with anybody" rather than "they are actively trying to kill everybody". Plus, the heresies of the Mostali mean that even the dwarves are not a unified species.

So go nuts, make the Drow into Uz for the purposes of Glorantha, perhaps with some of the fungus Aldryami as well. If you want to really hammer the point home that not all Uz are like that, then use Uz for the Kua-Toa and so on as well (I believe the D series has some sort of underdark war between the Kua Toa and the Drow, though it's been a while since I read it).

• Like 2

This poster by "Mockman" Jason Thompson rekindled my interest in the early DnD modules:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/vault-drow-walkthrough-poster

And yes Gazza there was rivalry between the Kua Toa and Drow. Very funny how one of the PCs in the linked poster is a Kua Toan "Monk" character class (they had martial-artist "Monitors") and one is a cleric of Blibdoolpoolp - both out for revenge against the Drow. 

12 hours ago, Quackerjack said:

This poster by "Mockman" Jason Thompson rekindled my interest in the early DnD modules:

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/vault-drow-walkthrough-poster

And yes Gazza there was rivalry between the Kua Toa and Drow. Very funny how one of the PCs in the linked poster is a Kua Toan "Monk" character class (they had martial-artist "Monitors") and one is a cleric of Blibdoolpoolp - both out for revenge against the Drow. 

Although I do recall an old White Dwarf review of it (I think - and yes, that dates me terribly, I bet a lot of gamers don't even realise that White Dwarf used to be, in essence, mainly a D&D zine) that said it didn't really matter that the Kua Toa and Drow were at odds when both groups were trying to kill you. :)

But those were the days, really - you came to the table with half a dozen characters and hoped it would be enough. I never really liked high lethality RPGs, probably my favourite genre is 4 colour super hero games for that reason (which makes my love of RuneQuest "what's your arm on now? - it's on the ground!" lethality strange, but I am a complex person. ;) ).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
11 hours ago, AndrewTBP said:

No, it's from the RQ:G Gamemasters Screen adventure book. I convert RQ:G adventures from the Jonstown Compendium too, e.g., the Vinga's Ford adventure.

That was clear 🙂. My idea was to motivate you to publish your conversions in the Jonstown Compendium (although I do not know, if there may be copyright issues). Just an idea ...

On 7/9/2021 at 4:40 AM, Oracle said:

That was clear 🙂. My idea was to motivate you to publish your conversions in the Jonstown Compendium (although I do not know, if there may be copyright issues). Just an idea ...

I'm quite sure there would be (c) issues!

IIRC the JC rules-of-engagement have proactively addressed this, and specifically prohibit doing such an adaptation (of one Chaosium product into another one, for sale on JC) ... but you're welcome to approach Chaosium with a pitch for such a product! 

In fact... what-say, @AndrewTBP???  <nudge,nudge>
Why not take these adaptations to Chaosium for their official blessing (and sale)?

C'es ne pas un .sig