Gloranthan Names

Jon Hunter

OK we have a few examples in the book, is this all of the work that's been done?

or are the complex naming conventions behind them, than can be broken out and extrapolated?

I'm thinking of picking the name generator project up again and trying to refine the orlnathi names, into sub groups

http://www.backtobalazar.com/glorantha-name-generator/

Here's something I cut for length from RQG but might have a vehicle for later:

Orlanthi Names
Many Orlanthi names combine prefixes and suffixes as per below; the prefixes and suffixes usually relate to the names of gods or ancestors. Use them to create  your name or pick a finished name from the lists.

Orlanthi identify themselves by the name of a well known parent (stated with a "Son of" or "Daughter of"). Names often alliterate (start with the same sound) or share a prefixes or suffix from parent to child (Eringulf son of Brolarulf, Harmast son of Hardrinor, Saronil son of Sartar) or from sibling to sibling (Orgar and Orstandel, Fingmanar and Finganvar).

Males
Prefixes: Andrin, Andror, Avent, Bar(n), Ber(es/en), Bro, Dar, Der, Des(tor), Din, Dor-, Enjos, Erin, Fin, Gar(in), Hantra, Harad, Har(an), Hed(kor), Hend, Ir, Jar(star), Kor(l), Korol, Kul, Lon(d), O(r), Orl, Orst, Orvan, Rasta, Ros, Sar(o), Sen(ren), (S)tark, V(a/e)n, Varan.

Suffixes: ‑alor. ‑(al)des, ‑and, ‑angian, ‑arl, ‑aventus, ‑brast, ‑dath, ‑daral, ‑dovar, ‑drinor, ‑dros, ‑durev, ‑en, ‑estan, ‑fin, ‑gandi, ‑ganvar, ‑gor, ‑gradus, ‑harl, -illo, -ister, -kar, ‑kos, ‑(l/v)anth, ‑lakar, ‑larant, ‑(l)or, ‑makt, ‑manar, -(m)al. ‑(m)arl, ‑mast, ‑niskis, ‑onil, ‑orth, -restos, ‑rik, ‑rolar, ‑serian, ‑staval, ‑tand, ‑tar, -taros, -tos, ‑(g/l)ulf, ‑veste, ‑venos, ‑vil, -yan.

It is common for men to take the name of gods or heroes (Barntar, Durev, Elmal, Harmast, Hendrik, Heort, Orlanth, etc), great kings (Hofstaring, Saronil, Tarkalor) or of ancestors (Garan, Korlmar, Ulanin, Straval, etc) as a prefix or suffix.

Sample Male Names: Andrin, Argrath, Aslandar, Ashart, Broyan, Dorasor, Farnan, Harmast, Gringle, Jarstakos, Kalf, Maniski, Ortossi, Robasart, Saronil, Sarotar, Tarkalor, Venharl.

Females
Prefixes: A(r), Dara, Davor, Der, Dor, Dush, Ent, Erin, Ernal(da), Esra, Esrol, Feren, Har, Hend, In, Ivarn, Jareen, Jarnarn, Jen, Kall, Ken, Leika, Lon(d), Mern, Mir, Morgan, Natal, Nerest, Ondur, Onel, Oran, Or(a/i), Samast, Sen(ren), Sora, Seren, Serze, Vasan, Yan, Yerest.

Suffixes: ‑a, ‑ala, ‑ale, ‑ali, -ana, -arios, -asa, -ava, ‑(d)essa, ‑(d)estra, ‑(d)inna, (d)ira, ‑(d)rella, ‑(d)urisa, -ela, ‑(er)landa, -est(ing), eth, -eva, -gala, -i, -ias, -illa, -ina, -ioth, -ira, -(is)en, ‑(i/y)r, -karne, -lartha, ‑ran(d)a, ‑renava, ‑sin, -sta, ‑sulva, ‑vale.

It is common for women to take the name of goddesses or heroes (Ernalda, Esrola, Ivarne, Kev, Maran, Mirngala, Voria, etc) or of ancestors (Lismelder, Orgorvale, Serias, Vestene, etc) as a prefix or suffix.

Sample Female Names: Beneva, Berra, Dorasa, Dushi, Erissa, Erynn, Insterid, Ivarne, Jareen, Kallyr, Leika, Morganeth, Onelisen, Sora, Vasana, Yanioth.

Nicknames
It is common for Orlanthi to have nicknames too. Some nicknames are poetic, others are prosaic. Some are badges of honor, others of mockery and ridicule. Owners of magical items often get a nickname associated with the item (e.g., Hardrinor Iron Band, Leika Black Spear, Rastalulf Vanak Spear, etc.).

Examples: Bald, Barefoot, Belly-Laugh, Clumsy, Dour, Generous, Glum, Greybeard, Handsome, Hairy, Long-nose, Lucky, Many-Kin, Red, Raven-Hair, Restless, Short, Strong, Stout, Sure-handed, Swift, Swimmer, Tall, Troublesome Poet, Unadvised, Ugly, Weak, Wideread.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Cheers Jeff really useful.

It feels like this exists for the other culture's as well?

I'm interested in how names traverse cultures as well so Gloranthan version of John, Jon, Jan, Yan, Juan, Jean   

I've no idea why this interests me but it does.

OK this is at least one project away, but will be worked into the name generator.

Edited by Jon Hunter