"Pay us twice" say Chaosium

Most of those monographs that are pdfs only now have sold out their print run, which I think will lead to more being printed. Only problem with the small print runs are that they may not have it all in stock when you want to make a big order to save on shipping or make use of a sale.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those monographs that are pdfs only now have sold out their print run, which I think will lead to more being printed. Only problem with the small print runs are that they may not have it all in stock when you want to make a big order to save on shipping or make use of a sale.

SGL.

Indeed. At the last sale the monographs I most wanted were sold out, and Rome just became available for sale on the chaosium website - I couldn't make up enough product (even at non-sale prices) to get the free shipping because all the monographs I want are out of stock (both BRP and COC). It's very frustrating. When they do finally come back in stock, Rome will probably be sold out and I'll be kicking myself. Online shopping shouldn't be this difficult - I feel like I'm treading a maze.

Maybe they should accept pre-orders on certain things. It might allow them to wait until they get a critical minimum number of sales before making the print run.

Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I just calculated this and the "in my hand" price for Malleus Monstrorum would be £34.44. Because for me, there's a large shipping cost to consider - with POD, that would be dramatically reduced.

Really? Patriot Games to name but one game stores in Leeds / Manchetser / Huddersfield / York, or IGUK or one of the other UK based online retailers? IGUK will deliver MM to your door for £20.49...

As for the rest - we'll have to agree to differ.

Nick

Really? Patriot Games to name but one game stores in Leeds / Manchetser / Huddersfield / York, or IGUK or one of the other UK based online retailers? IGUK will deliver MM to your door for £20.49...

Yes, really - because MM was just an example of a similar-sized book from Chaosium (I don't actually want MM). So thanks for those links but, unless Patriot/IGUK will also sell stuff like BRP Adventures and the upcoming supplements, then it doesn't help - and, from a quick look, I could only find the BRP core book (£21.99!).

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Yes, really - because MM was just an example of a similar-sized book from Chaosium (I don't actually want MM).

*sigh* I quoted Malleus Monstrorum as an example of a normal print & distribution book from Chaosium precisely becuse it CAN be bought through normal retail channels; because that is what Dustin was clearly talking about. Rome is being printed via PoD, and I don't know how distribution is going to be handled exactly (I've yet to see it in print anywhere other than Lulu and Chaosium's site...); and the monographs are an entirely different product.

So thanks for those links but, unless Patriot/IGUK will also sell stuff like BRP Adventures and the upcoming supplements, then it doesn't help - and, from a quick look, I could only find the BRP core book (£21.99!).

BRP Adventures is a monograph - an entirely different business model specifically intended to encourage people to buy direct from Chaosioum's web site, and not intended for release through conventional distribution. What Dustin was talking about was conventional print and distribution - which will indeed put In Search of Troll Slayer in patriot Games and at IGUK and most other retail outlets.

Nick

What Dustin was talking about was conventional print and distribution - which will indeed put In Search of Troll Slayer in patriot Games and at IGUK and most other retail outlets.

That'll be great - if true.

But I suspect it's just wishful thinking on your part to believe In Search of the Trollslayer and the other upcoming supplements are in an entirely different business model from BRP Adventures etc. I believe otherwise - that monographs are Chaosium's 'normal print and distribution' method for all things BRP. (Because, amongst other reasons, it says "monograph" on the cover, see? BTW, is it my turn to sigh patronisingly now?)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

That'll be great - if true.

But I suspect it's just wishful thinking on your part to believe In Search of the Trollslayer and the other upcoming supplements are in an entirely different business model from BRP Adventures etc.

Why, because I'm actually bothering to read what Dustin wrote? Or because I'm prepared to trust him?

"Physical copies won't be available again until later this summer when the distribution version releases. Yes, that means you'll be able to find it on store shelves eventually." (my emphasis).

I believe otherwise - that monographs are Chaosium's 'normal print and distribution' method for all things BRP. (Because, amongst other reasons, it says "monograph" on the cover, see? BTW, is it my turn to sigh patronisingly now?)

Again, to quote Dustin's words from Chaosium's site (the page you linked to in fact): "P.S. In Search of the Trollslayer was given a monograph cover so our advanced physical copy (Tentacles Only!) would have a cover quickly enough."

Do you have grounds for believing Dustin is lying? All my dealings with him lead me to believe he's honest, so I believe iSoT will be released via distribution later this summer.

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton

(Because, amongst other reasons, it says "monograph" on the cover,

Quoth Dustin:

P.S. In Search of the Trollslayer was given a monograph cover so our advanced physical copy (Tentacles Only!) would have a cover quickly enough.

Edit: Beaten to the punch

I was mistaken. Thanks for pointing out that PS and putting me right. :o

If the Red Mist hadn't descended first at Dustin's pay twice 'joke'(?), and then Nick's sighing, maybe I would've spotted it for myself. ;)

Fingers crossed that does actually lead to wider availability...

As penance, perhaps you could stat the Red Mist. Sounds like a fun thing to throw at unsuspecting players. >:->

Ah, I'd only overlook some vital detail... :ohwell:

I'd say, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, the Red Mist should use mechanics like a Fanaticism-type spell and/or Barbarian Berserking. Which I hope to see soon in my hard copies of Tywyll's BRP Magic Monograph and Threedeesix's Sword & Spell, respectively... obtained for reasonable postage and without having to pay twice! ;)

I was mistaken. Thanks for pointing out that PS and putting me right. :o

If the Red Mist hadn't descended first at Dustin's pay twice 'joke'(?), and then Nick's sighing, maybe I would've spotted it for myself. ;)

Given how often I've read things on web pages and been convinced I know what it said, I really should have more patience and tact.

Sorry. :o

Fingers crossed that does actually lead to wider availability...

Very much - indeed lets hope many more books get done this way, and that a few other publishers join Alephtar in putting out quality third party material (by whatever means). The copy of BRP in TM York looks distinctly lonely on the shelf all on it's own...

Cheers,

Nick

Ditto all that. Soz.

The copy of BRP in TM York looks distinctly lonely on the shelf all on it's own...

Yes, I felt exactly the same about the copy in TM Leeds a while back...

Ah, I'd only overlook some vital detail... :ohwell:

:D

Which I hope to see soon in my hard copies of Tywyll's BRP Magic Monograph and Threedeesix's Sword & Spell, respectively... obtained for reasonable postage and without having to pay twice! ;)

Indeed, I'm also looking forward to those. (but Red Mist is surely a sorcery spell)