Rodney Dangerduck

Too many Holy Days in RQG

One way we handle this in a party full of religious nutcases who spend a lot of RP was to take a hint from Humakt, whose sacrifices are performed at night.

The Humakti in the party often sanctifies an area for overnight worship, and when I'm GMing in that game, I let most people (probably not Fire or Darkness worshippers, but it's not come up) choose between an all-day or an all-night ritual if they like.

That said, I'm going to remember that magic point sacrifice and the full ceremony are different things from now on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For a culture following the maxim "nobody can make you do nothing", there's a lot of forcing you to go to worship.聽 Just saying... 馃檪

Who's forcing? Orlanth just makes you "an offer you can't refuse!" 馃槈

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For a culture following the maxim "nobody can make you do nothing", there's a lot of forcing you to go to worship.聽 Just saying... 馃檪

No-one can make you do anything. You can always just accept the negative consequences instead.

It's like how that while violence is always an option, it's often a聽bad聽option.

Edited by Akh么rahil

聽So, I've seen several references to weekly holy days in this thread, but have never found anything in the rules that documents when said weekly holy days are for each cult.聽 In fact, I was playing in a game for a while where, because of that, our only options to regain RP's were the seasonal holy days,聽 so tended to be less likely to use RP's the week after the seasonal holy day.聽聽

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

聽So, I've seen several references to weekly holy days in this thread, but have never found anything in the rules that documents when said weekly holy days are for each cult.聽聽

Presumably聽it's what you get when you take the seasonal HD but without the correct week. So Windday for Orlanth, Clayday for Ernalda, and so on.

Edited by Akh么rahil

1 hour ago, Marc said:

聽So, I've seen several references to weekly holy days in this thread, but have never found anything in the rules that documents when said weekly holy days are for each cult.聽 In fact, I was playing in a game for a while where, because of that, our only options to regain RP's were the seasonal holy days,聽 so tended to be less likely to use RP's the week after the seasonal holy day.聽聽

It's cult by cult. Orlanth, Ernalda and Issaries have weekly minor holy days, most other cults don't. It's in the RQG book, but you have to look carefully, as no big thing is made out of it.

11 hours ago, Marc said:

but have never found anything in the rules that documents when said weekly holy days are for each cult.

This is specified in the Rune Cults chapter, in each cult's entry. For example:

Holy Days

The High Holy Days of the cult are the Wildday of each week in Sacred Time. Seasonal holy days are the Wildday of Movement week each season. Each Wildday is a holy day and a market day

From p.298, Issaries.

On 2/13/2020 at 1:13 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Look at RW religious practices. Very few days are given over to all-day ceremonies... Even on HHD, it's normally just a few hours.

Yeah, but realistically, they knock out a whole day or more.聽 And if you cut out early to take care of some personal business, you often face the censure of the community.聽 It's surprising how far-reaching a few influential tut-tuts can be.

That said, bear in mind that player characters, by their very nature, are the oddballs of the community.聽 Presumably, their actions, while in contravention to conservative orthodoxy and tradition, remain faithful and will bring a greater good to the community as a whole.聽 Fortune favors the bold聽and the forbearing alike.

!i!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 4:13 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Look at RW religious practices. Very few days are given over to all-day ceremonies... Even on HHD, it's normally just a few hours.

I'm not even religious, and yet Christmas pretty much consumes two full days when you account for food preparation, ritual meals, etc. And Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, and Easter easily consume a half day. You have to bear in mind that these are community events, not just come in, say your prayers and sing your hymns, and go home.

I've got my HQG game going through Feast of Beasts now and they've just gotten through the nighttime vigil and rituals, with a full day of celebration still ahead!

• Like 1

Perhaps we should be discussing atonement?聽 I mean, the religious proscriptions are what they are, whether they mesh well with your characters' lifestyles or not.聽 But, as I suggested above, presumably your characters are worthy of some degree of forbearance -- they bring something to the community that's worth overlooking some of their transgressions.聽 I don't mean to suggest that they're getting off the hook, though.聽 Miss some key observances here and there, you'll need to make up for it somehow, to reaffirm your commitment to the faith.聽 And that's not just between you and your god -- it's reaffirming your place in the community, whatever that is.

Then again, maybe your character's place in the community is to be the iconoclast, the bad person who does what no one else is allowed.聽 But there are whole cults devoted to that trope, and they have rafts of holy days of their own to contend with.

!i!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I'm not even religious, and yet Christmas pretty much consumes two full days when you account for food preparation, ritual meals, etc. And Thanksgiving, New Years Eve, and Easter easily consume a half day. You have to bear in mind that these are community events, not just come in, say your prayers and sing your hymns, and go home.

I've got my HQG game going through Feast of Beasts now and they've just gotten through the nighttime vigil and rituals, with a full day of celebration still ahead!

I was commenting specifically on the religious aspects, not the communal.

But you're right - it depends on your devotion, religion, HHD, 聽etc. You're also right in that small, close knit communities are more likely to have more involved ceremonies.

Question: I could have sworn that it says somewhere in the RQG book that Orlanth has minor holy days every Windsday, and Ernalda every Clayday, but one of my players says otherwise. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Maybe I picked it up from a Heroquest book?

6 hours ago, Glorion said:

Question: I could have sworn that it says somewhere in the RQG book that Orlanth has minor holy days every Windsday, and Ernalda every Clayday, but one of my players says otherwise. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Maybe I picked it up from a Heroquest book?

I don't think that made it into RQG - but it is in the Cults Book.

6 hours ago, Glorion said:

Can anyone confirm or deny that? Maybe I picked it up from a Heroquest book?

It's true for Ernalda (RQG p.293), but not for Orlanth, which has only a seasonal holiday for Windsday of Movement Week (RQG p.300)

12 hours ago, Glorion said:

I could have sworn that it says somewhere in the RQG book that Orlanth has minor holy days every Windsday, and Ernalda every Clayday, but one of my players says otherwise. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Maybe I picked it up from a Heroquest book?

It's certainly in the original Orlanth writeup in Cults of Prax, and reprinted in the Cults Compendium p.169: "Each Windsday is a Holy Day for the cult, and each season the Windsday of Movement Week is a High Holy Day."

• Thanks 1

So if the premier storm and earth gods get weekly holy days then can we assume the other major elementals do too? So Yelm would get every Fireday, Magasta every Waterday, Kyger Litor(?) every Coldday.

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

So if the premier storm and earth gods get weekly holy days then can we assume the other major elementals do too? So Yelm would get every Fireday, Magasta every Waterday, Kyger Litor(?) every Coldday.

Neither Yelm or Kyger Litor were explicitly stated as having weekly holy days in older texts, but I'd certainly expect Yelm to do so as a god of a divine order. 聽

The Seven Mothers definitely did: "Other holy days are each Wildday of every week, when the Red Moon is full"

41 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Neither Yelm or Kyger Litor were explicitly stated as having weekly holy days in older texts, but I'd certainly expect Yelm to do so as a god of a divine order. 聽

The Seven Mothers definitely did: "Other holy days are each Wildday of every week, when the Red Moon is full"

Basically, for weekly holy days you need a really big cult. Kyger Litor doesn't have them because this is trolls we're talking about, c'mon. Likewise with Aldrya. Issaries has weekly holy days because for Issaries, it's a sale day. The weekly sales days are come ons for the chumps, I mean the customers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

Note that Yelmic weeks have ten or (rarely) eleven days.

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

While the cult certainly is at its strongest in the Orlanthi provinces in the south, what about its presence in the Redlands?

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

While the cult certainly is at its strongest in the Orlanthi provinces in the south, what about its presence in the Redlands?

I would assume it's the day of the full moon that is the weekly holy day, whatever that day happens to be.

3 hours ago, Akh么rahil said:

I would assume it's the day of the full moon that is the weekly holy day, whatever that day happens to be.

Which would mean everyday within the glowline! Hum!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jon Hunter said:

OK Initiates being able to replenish rune spells on minor holy days,聽 i missed that?聽 Did that change in play testing ?

Page 315. Minor holy days.