Working out the x2 and x3 damage thresholds in RQG. Is 0 (zero) a value?

Paid a bod yn dwp

If an adventure can be at 0 hit points in a hit location and can go to minus, should we not calculate 0 as a hitpoint value when working out the x2 and to x3 damage thresholds? Doing so would make a 5pt arm x2 threshold at -4 instead of -5.

Jason's example in the Q&A does not include zero in the calculations, and that's how I would normally do it too, but after writing the values down from 5 to -5 I'm not so sure?

-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

A hit location can be at 0 hit points. So it takes a further point of damage to get to -1.

Including 0 as a value would effect limbs which also have a maximum damage limit they can take from a single blow of x2. A healthy arm or leg would need to take two blows instead of one before reaching the x2 damage threshold.

Its quite possible I could just be having a brain fart, but what do people think? 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp

I suppose technically speaking the thresholds of x2 and x3 could remain the same. In which case a x2 threshold for a 5pt arm could remain at -5. But certainly calculating the damage to get there has to include 0 as a value. So its one point more of damage to get to those thresholds. Which I guess has more of an effect on limbs (which have a maximum amount of damage they can receive in a single blow).Meaning they always take a minimum of two blows before a healthy limb reaches the x2 threshold. 

2 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Its quite possible I could just be having a brain fart, but what do people think? 

Yes – not to be rude as you do ask ;) –it seems you are. 

Ask yourself what 5 - 5 is. Then 5 - 10. Now 5 - (2 x 5) and 5 - (3 x 5).  Hint, the last two answers aren’t -4 and -9. 

You are counting each number as a hit point.  It’s the gaps between the numbers you should be counting. I.e., HP 1 is the range from 0.01* to 1, 2 is 2.01 to 2. 

* let’s not be pedants here, this is an example value. 

• Like 2

Here's what I think is the only sensible interpretation:

1. The 0 is there (it would show impressive dedication to the bronze age setting to run the game without a 0!)
  2. 5/0/-5/-10 is the only reasonable system for the thresholds for a 5 HP limb.
  3. And this has a nice outcome - it takes 5 pts of damage to bring you down to 0, and another 5 to bring you down to -5, and so on. A 10-point hit to an arm with 5 HP brings it down to -5. Everything looks the way you would expect it to.
Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

* let’s not be pedants here, this is an example value. 

Then why are we here? :D

I've also always included 0 as a number when doing HP math. We used to play a house rule that if you were on 0 GHP or 0 in a leg/abdomen, on a roll of CON×1 the adventurer could heroically remain standing and fighting. So 0 matter(ed) a lot for us.

• Haha 3

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

5 hours ago, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

Thanks all for holding my hand through this brain fart moment...yes let’s pretend it never happened.

Oh c’mon now, we don’t get much in the way of chances ta mock ya, you are just too good. You can’t expect us to pass up this golden opportunity!

NA NA NA NA BOO BOO! hehehehe....

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!