Maximum Rune Point Pool

Godweyn

12 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This only matters in seasons when you're not adventuring (which might be 0), or if you somehow manage not to get a POW gain roll during the adventure.

Hmmm. Even with 1 adventure per season (and remember spending more than that will have impacts) your really not guaranteed a POW Gain roll. And it's entirely likely you wont have that many. Depends on your campaign. And for non players it's a huge step up in power. A Godtalker who has been leading worship at their local shrine for a while is going to have a lot of spare POW on their hands. And there's things they can do with that like have a lot of enchanted gear.  

1 minute ago, Thaz said:

Hmmm. Even with 1 adventure per season (and remember spending more than that will have impacts) your really not guaranteed a POW Gain roll. And it's entirely likely you wont have that many.

In my experience, if there's even just one fight (including Spirit Combat) in a season, most PCs will manage to squeeze their POW gain roll from it.

Of course, there may not be a fight.

22 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

In my experience, if there's even just one fight (including Spirit Combat) in a season, most PCs will manage to squeeze their POW gain roll from it.

Of course, there may not be a fight.

And depending on how your GM wants to run it you may well only have one or two adventures per year. The Beer_with_Teeth campaigns started off fairly frenetic up until the battle of Queens and aftermath but have since slowed down in pace. (which is fair, one big military campaign followed by everyone heading home for the harvest, winter and sowing.) . Also most of BwT players are more Role-players than Roll-players. I'll admit the three regular GM's are probably the worst Munchkins (Peers at his Storm Bulls use of Fear)

On 2/25/2020 at 3:48 AM, Akhôrahil said:

God-Talker only really has one truly big thing - better POW gain. Although since you will have POW 18 anyway, it's not actually better POW gain, but rather getting to have 18 instead of, say, 14-15 in POW. Which isn't nothing, but it's nothing like the old difference between Initiate and Acolyte.

Since you (apparently???) need 18 POW to become a God Talker (I'd lower that... 15?), it changes the POW gain from 15% to 35%... 

So, I don't understand most of your post.

One other *possible* advantage might be that having a lower POW doesn't lose the GT status, as it does for Priests. (I'd suggest Priests drop to GT status... I'm not finding the "leave of absence" section :( ) 

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Since you (apparently???) need 18 POW to become a God Talker (I'd lower that... 15?), it changes the POW gain from 15% to 35%... 

I meant that since a God-Talker has to maintain a POW of 18, and other characters commonly settle for less in order to have a better POW gain roll (say 13-15), what it means in practice would often be that the God-Talker has about the same POW gain roll, but a higher POW.

Edited by Akhôrahil

4 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

YGMV but in my mind God Talker is pretty darn useful position and should be hard to maintain. 

14 minutes ago, Thaz said:

YGMV but in my mind God Talker is pretty darn useful position and should be hard to maintain. 

I see the cost as mainly economic - you need to spend half your time and income (probably maintaining a shrine or something), which can be kinda a lot if the community isn't supporting you.

2 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I see the cost as mainly economic - you need to spend half your time and income (probably maintaining a shrine or something), which can be kinda a lot if the community isn't supporting you.

Depends on location. If your knocking around Clearwine (which has priests coming out of it's ears) then notsomuch. Your the _only_ Orlanthi religious figure in Apple Lane maintaining not only a shrine to himself but also the temple to all gods.....

Not to mention I suspect God Talkers and junior Priests spend a lot of time on the road maintaining shrines. Doing the rounds making sure all the shrines are maintained on your route and people get a chance to worship. That accounts for the 50% time.

It's also been quite a plot hook for me. So why exactly are the entire party in Apple Lane (or whereever). Well AL has a priest of Uleria and a Orlanthi God-talker. It's coming up to Dark Season and someone needs to take care of the other shrines and nobody really wants to haul out from Rune gate or Redbird and definitely not over the mountains from Clearwine.... so do your Cult a favour and take one for the team spending winter there huh?

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

he is not alone 😛

Necessary requirements for God-talkers are usually identical to those for Rune Priests.

p278

now (RQG), initiates are so powerfull (pool + reuse rune spell) than I see god talker , rune lord and priest more as an occupation. This occupation give you more social power but need hard requirements : 18 POW, 90% skill, time dedicated to the community  IN the community (not in adventure with few exception). I don't see any reason for gameplay to give these positions easier to reach

9 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

now (RQG), initiates are so powerfull (pool + reuse rune spell) than I see god talker , rune lord and priest more as an occupation.

Partly. There used to be this giant gap between Initiates and Acolytes, and that's just not there any longer. But getting an Allied Spirit (now with its own re-usable Rune Magic) from Priest or Rune-Lord, that really is a game-changer.

Edited by Akhôrahil

18 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Partly. There used to be this giant gap between Initiates and Acolytes, and that's just not there any longer. But getting an Allied Spirit (now with its own re-usable Rune Magic) from Priest or Rune-Lord, that really is a game-changer.

good point

let's say my sentence make sense for god-talker then !

but the price must be high to obtain an allied spirit too

12 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

I meant that since a God-Talker has to maintain a POW of 18, and other characters commonly settle for less in order to have a better POW gain roll (say 13-15), what it means in practice would often be that the God-Talker has about the same POW gain roll, but a higher POW.

In our RQ2 Campaign, we could gain Hero points from HeroQuests, normally 1 per HeroQuest. We played that you could use 3 Hero Points to increase a Characteristic Species maximum by 1, but only ever once. Soltak Stormspear used 3 Hero Points to increase his species Maximum POW to 22, another 3 Hero Points to increase his Priest POW Gain roll Bonus by 5% and another 3 Hero Points to reduce his Priestly POW Minimum to 17, so he could be a Priest at 17 POW, had a Species Maximum POW of 22 and had a +30 bonus rather than +25, so effectively had a 55% chance of a POW Gain Roll. Wayhay!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here