Call of Cthulhu 40th Anniversary Edition

ColoradoCthulhu

• 11 months later...

How about: A reprint of the first edition box set? Or use the first edition box art but update the rulebook and 1920's sourcebook, include maps featuring Mythos spots worldwide, cardboard figures (a la Pathfinder's tokens), play aids, and a book of new adventures from the game's early contributors.

6 hours ago, Dr_Zarnak said:

How about: A reprint of the first edition box set? Or use the first edition box art but update the rulebook and 1920's sourcebook, include maps featuring Mythos spots worldwide, cardboard figures (a la Pathfinder's tokens), play aids, and a book of new adventures from the game's early contributors.

Original (box) cover art is still my favorite! (Actually the image of Cthulhu on the original rules is pretty great too.)

A reprint of the map that came with the boxed edition would be fantastic. So would a nice set of cardboard miniatures (or a new edition of the two boxed sets of miniatures!)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DreadDomain said:

I'd like to point out that no one here was asking "when it would come out" and even less so "can we have it faster" or "are there yet". The question was "if it was planned". Hopefully, gamers taking interest in what is in store for their favorite game is not seen negatively. 

It's hard not to take it as that when Mike M said they were considering it in February 2020, in this very thread. You either trust his response or you don't. "Ehem" is impatience. Chaosium will announce officially on their schedule. Or is this a case of people not taking the effort to read back through the thread?

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, klecser said:

It's hard not to take it as that when Mike M said they were considering it in February 2020, in this very thread. You either trust his response or you don't. "Ehem" is impatience. Chaosium will announce officially on their schedule. Or is this a case of people not taking the effort to read back through the thread?

Sure. Last year they told us they were considering it (aka thinking about before making a decision). I fully trust that they were. Almost a year later the question is a "are you still thinking about it or have you decided for or against it". The answer this time is that they have made a decision "for it". I still fully trust the answer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Pom-Pom said:

You don't need to act as their (angry) spokesperson.

Hardly angry. I'm asking you to consider the (perhaps unintended) secondary messages you communicate with your tack. Where I'm from "ehem" is a deliberately passive-aggressive way of coyly and impatiently avoiding asking a direct question. The search function is a thing. This isn't the first time Mike has commented on "something special in October" being planned for the anniversary. I'm not Chaosium's spokesperson. But I also see them as people. And asking eight months in advance of what we've heard before isn't going to alter their news schedule. And whether you intend it or not, it makes you look like you can't take "we have plans for October" as an answer. And if you didn't know that there were prior updates, fine, but you have the means to find out.

Edited by klecser

44 minutes ago, MOB said:

FYI everyone:

150078853_10159427796532743_4641441121800786525_o.jpg

Thanks for posting this and clarifying the numbers of each type. I've got one of the named Contributors' Editions, and was wondering how rare it was and what it might be worth if somebody wanted to buy mine ("Quachil Uttaus", by the way).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sdaniolowski said:

I can assure fans that there are things afoot for the 40th anniversary. Can say no more, lest an angry shoggoth rip out my tongue and devour my typing flingers...!

C'mon, how many fingers do you need to type, anyway? SPILL IT! 😀

• 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, klecser said:

And if you look at the file name at the very top of the image it says 1e!

So as far as I can remember the main difference between 1e and 2e was that 1e had the BRP basic booklet, the specific CoC rules and a 1920s book then 2e removed the BRP basic booklet and put the relevant rules in the relevant booklet?

https://www.chaosium.com/blogout-of-the-suitcase-10-can-some-investigators-help-solve-this-mystery-with-library-use/

This is an blog post from back in February and should give us some hints of what could be included. From the picture it looks like

• BRP Basic book 
  • 1920s sourcebook
  • CoC rules
  • Shadows of Yog-Sothoth 
  • Cthulhu Companion
  • Trail of Tsathogghua
  • Fragments of Fear
  • The Asylum and other tales
  • Keepers Screen
  • A nifty looking map
  • some paper in the box I can't identify

Also on the last picture showing everything in the box it shows what looks like the screen at the top but it has the resistance table which doesn't appear on the screen in the image above. Was this on the other side of the screen for player reference or could it be something else?

Going to be a long two weeks...

• Like 2

Well in the thread you posted about 40th anniversary predictions someone said that Rick mentioned a Kickstarter for the early edition stuff. They could be running it like they did RuneQuest classic and are trying to get as much as possible back into availability. As far as I can tell the only early Call of Cthulhu products that have been updated and are in print are Masks, Paper Chase from the Starter set, The Haunting from the quickstart, Terror Australis and some of the Alone against books. I am a new player though so could be missing stuff. (I excluded the other 2 starter set scenarios as I think they are from the 5th and 6th rulebooks which were 90s or later same with Horror or Mansions of Madness, I set an arbitrary 80s cutoff for this post.

I don't think this is especially likely but it's fun to speculate!

• Like 2

The short answer is that all of the items you see in this picture will be part of a Call of Cthulhu Classic Kickstarter shortly. It will be a simple Kickstarter, with few stretch goals, and no bling items. The only thing not pictured is the dice.

Cthulhu-Classic.thumb.JPG.d0c57ce64863c34061096fb8fb64d8d3.JPG

• Like 14

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.