How to deal with this much rune magic ?

Jon Hunter

30 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For the entire day?  Praying in Church?

Better still, having a day off. We like to think of the Middle Ages as unending drudgery, but they had more days off than a lot of people in the modern world.

Edited by Akhôrahil

28 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Better still, having a day off. We like to think of the Middle Ages as unending drudgery, but they had more days off than a lot of people in the modern world.

Yeah, you might not spend the whole day at the church, but you'd spend it feasting, watching performances, and enjoying the day. There's a lot more to religious activity than just going to the temple or church and engaging in sermons or prayer or the like, even today.

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

For the entire day?  Praying in Church?

Like on St. Crispins Day?  Oops, the common soldiers fought Agincourt instead.

Praying in church? Heck no. Dancing and feasting in the fields, to the annoyance of the feudal lords. An excuse not to do any work. Soldiers ignored saint's days as suicidal during an actual war, and if no enemy soldiers around, pillaging, looting and sacking cities was more fun, besides being the main way that large bodies of soldiers could be fed and paid, as taxation had largely not been invented yet.

On that note, Malkioni societies have saints, do they also have Saint's Days?  And would, say, an orthodox Rokarist army observe such Saint's Days in the field?  Their sorcerers might be able to make observing days of nonviolence in the midst of war both practical and effective.

1 hour ago, dumuzid said:

On that note, Malkioni societies have saints, do they also have Saint's Days?  And would, say, an orthodox Rokarist army observe such Saint's Days in the field?  Their sorcerers might be able to make observing days of nonviolence in the midst of war both practical and effective.

Mechanically, possibly not important. The only use I've seen of Saints in RQ was in Sandy's Sorcery system, where I don't recall it mattering at what point you sacrificed POW to get whatever the saint gift was, and where all you got from a worship ceremony was a warm and fuzzy feeling that the Invisible God got the magic points.

In Glorantha? It's an interesting question. Do Malkioni even use the same calendar?

Edited by GAZZA
Spelling correction.

44 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Saints and sorcerous Saint nodes were a big thing in HQ. I think RQG will (mostly) get rid of saints and replaced them with Ascended Masters, as in the Guide.

Ah fair enough. I actually own not only Hero Wars and Hero Quest but also, as far as I am aware, all of the adventures and supplements of both. I have yet to even attempt to run it though (and, clearly, haven't even read a lot of it). Thank you for the correction.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:25 AM, Glorion said:

Only among Mormons, and not all of them, does anyone tithe 10% of their income these days.

In french, 'tithe' is 'dîme', that is a contraction of 'dixième' (tenth). I know quite a number of current christians (catholics) that pay 1 tenth of their income to their church. In older days, this was the rule (and in France, before state and church were completely separated, the law).

7th Day Adventists as well.  

However I think it may be more about what Bronze Age people did.  

Farmers did not work the soil like in an industrial setting.  They don't "lose" crop time, or become less efficient if they have to participate in a duel, raid, or even a war.  Sowing and harvesting seasons excepted, of course.  And magic makes up the difference.  Honestly, given the magic, a barbarian farmer in Sartar should have much better yields than a bronze age Celt.  This can be negated by the dangerous problems that Glorantha poses to farm stead life, of course.

But all of those things -- the extra time, extra food, and extra dangers just make it more important for a self defending community.  The priests and lords lead the way of course, but there are only so many of them, so for the mundane problems, or the really big ones, the farmers will have to fight.

5 hours ago, Kloster said:

In french, 'tithe' is 'dîme', that is a contraction of 'dixième' (tenth). I know quite a number of current christians (catholics) that pay 1 tenth of their income to their church. In older days, this was the rule (and in France, before state and church were completely separated, the law).

Yup, sure was. Everyone did that in medieval Europe who actually had an income. There are something like a hundred million Catholics in the USA, hey, some of my best friends are Catholics.😉 I'm not surprised to hear there are a few actually ultra old fashioned enough to tithe the church, out of such huge numbers of people I'm sure you can find tiny minorities up for just about anything you can imagine. The percentage has got to be microscopic. And there are innumerable Protestant sects in America, probably the 7th Day Adventists aren't the only ones you have folk who tithe in them. But barring the Mormons, I'm sure there's an inverse relationship between size of sect and frequency of tithing.

2 hours ago, Dissolv said:

The priests and lords lead the way of course, but there are only so many of them, so for the mundane problems, or the really big ones, the farmers will have to fight.

They pull out their spears in emergencies, and when war impends, a lot of them do initiate to a wargod. But day to day, it isn't the priests or the lords or the farmers or the herders who do most of the fighting, it's the warriors. Something we should be aware of, as most PC's roll up as warriors. Roll up a character as a warrior and roll up another as a farmer. Even if the farmer initiates to Orlanth, the warrior Orlanth initiate will clean his clock easily, due to better armor if nothing else.

1 hour ago, Glorion said:

Yup, sure was. Everyone did that in medieval Europe who actually had an income. There are something like a hundred million Catholics in the USA, hey, some of my best friends are Catholics.😉 I'm not surprised to hear there are a few actually ultra old fashioned enough to tithe the church, out of such huge numbers of people I'm sure you can find tiny minorities up for just about anything you can imagine. The percentage has got to be microscopic. And there are innumerable Protestant sects in America, probably the 7th Day Adventists aren't the only ones you have folk who tithe in them. But barring the Mormons, I'm sure there's an inverse relationship between size of sect and frequency of tithing.

My brother-in-law would tithe his income if my sister would let him. As it is they give 5% of their income to his evangelical church and 5% to her choice of charity.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherVingan said:

My brother-in-law would tithe his income if my sister would let him. As it is they give 5% of their income to his evangelical church and 5% to her choice of charity.

Good for both of them, especially her. Don't think it's too usual, especially these days with so many people going broke.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 6:25 PM, Glorion said:

Only among Mormons, and not all of them, does anyone tithe 10% of their income these days.

Interestingly, I tithe 10% in a unique way. Back a few years ago when a 35 hour week for 48 weeks was the norm around my home, I decided to tithe 10% of my labour and skills to non-profit and charitable groups I liked and respected. To explain. my average work year had about 1700 hours of my skills and labour going to projects that I may not have liked or respected but that paid for my living so 170 hours would go to projects I loved for free. To this day I consider a year to be successful if I have kicked in 170 hours to a good cause.

• Like 2

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 3/2/2020 at 9:02 AM, dumuzid said:

We mostly call them Ascended Masters now - and it is more than just a terminology change. The Rokari do not believe that you offer them any form of reverence or prayer, so no orthodox Rokari is taking days off for them. 
The Hrestoli think they are important, but I think mostly for individual magical practice. Monastic Men-of-all in training meditating on the Ascended Mastersteach8ngs, or performing the spiritual exercises they recommend. 

But almost all Malkioni have social holidays as part of their religion, or days when there are traditional observances, or commemorations of specific events. Often these are, as suggested, pretty pleasant. There are chapters of the Abiding Book that are pretty much there to tell you to enjoy life. 

Of course there are some henotheists who treat them like gods.

And then there are the Atroxic church of Sir Ethilrist. They are miserable bastards.