New Stuff!!!

Thaz

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/304768/Stone-and-Bone?affiliate_id=205935 hit silver yesterday and we have updated it with a picture of a scorpion, some fun scorpion facts, and (sigh) an update from a biologist who was looking at me very sternly.

Terran scorpions have a cephalothorax, apparently.  What this means is that the legs are all up at the front, just behind the head.

If you've picked up your copy already, there's now a small update with a labelled scorpion picture to admire.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I not sure where to ask but, is there a way to extract the map from the PDF for Stone and Bone? I am trying to put it up on Roll20 for play. 

If you have something like Acrobat Reader, I believe you can select the "arrow" tool, click on any image in a PDF, right-click, select "Copy Image", and paste it somewhere else. Most other PDF readers (Skim, Sumatra) also allow this.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

If you're using Windows 10, use the snipping tool( search for snipping to find it ).  That's how I have copied out maps from PDF's to Roll20.

Also, since the snipping tool is just grabbing what's on your screen, it works for any file that you can display, not just PDF's( Although, that's what  I use it for the most )

Edited by Marc
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I tried that, it copied only a completely black square. I figured it might be some sort of watermark or something? I dunno. I have used the trick to extract maps from lots of older pdfs and stuff. 

If you are on a Mac, open it in preview, enable Markup and then use the selection rectangle tool to surround what you want and then copy and paste it into your fave program . 726771233_ScreenShot2020-05-19at8_51_50PM.png.1b86e72e9ee5f9f3f415918dc230bbb2.png

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

The Stone and Bone PDF version I have has restrictions making it so you cannot extract from the document. Which makes it so you cannot copy the map at all. I am playing on Roll20, so I don't really have another way of sharing the map with the players without sending them the whole pdf and spoiling it or something.

1 hour ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

The Stone and Bone PDF version I have has restrictions making it so you cannot extract from the document.

Do you have version 1.0.2?  That's the version I have and I have no issues either highlighting/copying text, or clicking on/copying images including the maps.  If not, just go back to DTRPG and pick up the latest version from your account.

EDIT: scratch that.  Highlighting/copying/pasting the images produces black boxes as you noted.  I have the option to use Windows snipping tool, but if you don't have that, then definitely an issue.  

Note:  looking at the Document Properties vs. RQG, there's no fundamental difference in settings/security, so that does not appear to be the issue.  Suggests it's either something with the images themselves, or the Scribus software used to produce this pdf.

Edited by jajagappa

11 hours ago, HreshtIronBorne said:

I managed to screenshot the entire open document with the map up and cut out the rest of it to throw up on Roll20 for today. It works well enough.

It's good you found a solution.

I had a look at this, as Scribus is set up to allow images to be copied and pasted.  As far as I can tell, it's a setting on Drivethru RPG, and I haven't managed to isolate exactly where that is.  If I find out, I'll upload a map pack.

• Like 3

On 5/27/2020 at 5:14 AM, Diana Probst said:

I had a look at this, as Scribus is set up to allow images to be copied and pasted.  As far as I can tell, it's a setting on Drivethru RPG, and I haven't managed to isolate exactly where that is.  If I find out, I'll upload a map pack.

And if you do, those of us who will follow the path you blaze would love to know about. why this happens and how. I thought it had to be a Scribus problem seeing as it does have it’s quicks. (thanks for the recommendation, alas I think I will be going with the 800 lb gorilla. Been using it and its antecedents for the better part of three decade... I am in a rut).

Yay Adobe... sigh

Still it won;d be good to know how to bypass Drivethru if they are hamstringing legitimate. use.

Thanks in advance!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

So, I could not work this out.  HOWEVER, a map pack is easy to make and DTRPG does not limit the number of downloads.  I chose to add my map pack as a zipped folder of files, and it's just the same process as uploading your PDF.  That way you can sort out your legitimate use files for yourself.

It may not be perfect, but it's workable, so that's the solution I'll be using.

• Like 1

I don't understand the issue. I use a PC with Adobe Reader, and use the "Take Snapshot" tool (looks like a camera).

image.png.7a894d7e38d4d79a93d0c6a76acb9b57.png

Click that so it goes blue (as shown), then click and drag a box around the map, releasing the button to make a copy of whatever's in the box. Then swap over to MS Paint (or whatever the cool kids are using nowadays) and use Ctrl-V to paste the map into a basic graphic package. "Save As" to give it any format or filename tweaks you need. Job's a good 'un.

If you don't see "Take Snapshot" in your toolbar, right-click the toolbar and you'll find it under the "Show Edit Tools" menu. Click that menu item once and it'll always be in your Acrobat Reader toolkit.

Cheers, Nick 

Getting a larger size of map for zooming in while playing can be difficult.  A screenshot is much smaller than you might want a map, if you're playing with counters.

I freely admit that the best way for me to do small compressed cover images is by screenshot.  A little part of me was sad about that, but mostly I just marvel at the tech.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I don't understand the issue. I use a PC with Adobe Reader, and use the "Take Snapshot" tool (looks like a camera).

It's a weird issue.  With most pdf's (I use PC with Adobe Reader), you can click on an image and it brings up a small toolbar that allows you to Copy Image (or you can right-click after the picture is selected).  99% of pdf's when you paste the copied image you see the image (just tried on Rough Guide and works fine; Chaosium pdf's work fine).  Stone and Bones does not.  Rocks Fall does not.  You get a solid black box when you paste into wherever after you follow these steps.

Just tried your technique, and, yes, that does allow you to capture the image.

There is a difference though in that the Snapshot captures a region, so it captures text or other extraneous content if there is overlay.  What is nice about the Copy Image function is that it only grabs the image layer.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.  That does sound more like an interaction problem, but for the life of me, I can't find anything in the Scribus settings that would indicate this and I have the security measures turned off, as DTRPG asks.

HOWEVER...

When you say 'black square' do you mean a literal square filled with black?  Because that's what I was understanding, but if you're getting a black outline, that's different, and that I can work out how to deal with.  (That is what my test got, and I just realised that is what you might mean.)  If so, let me know about that.  It'll be a stacked image problem, where you're getting the item frame, not the image underneath, because the frame has transparent pictures in the middle.

Edited by Diana Probst

What's your OS?

I think to be honest I can't track this down, but I can provide map packs.  C&P works for me, but gives me to top image - which is usually an image frame.  It may be a combo of how transparency is treated, and the way Scribus works.

Even some images that are definitely not in a frame are coming out as a panel of the master page beneath.  Which is, for the sake of argument, an image... but still.  Yet there are images that are .pngs with transparency that let me choose the image.

I'd say it is mostly about the stacking and clipping process.  Rather than remake these files, I'll do a lot more of the future work outside scribus, and see if that changes things.  That way, when you click on an image, you're going to be clicking on the image you expect, rather than a composite.  With that said, it could well be that there's a composite image and this is borking things.

In the mean time, please make use of the map pack, and I'll include one in any future package until I've found out what the problem is.  And, just possibly, after that as well.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention, and in particular you, @jajagappa, for sticking with the bug report.

• Like 1