Greater Race reaction question

klecser

Do you think that a Greater Independent Race would ever be subject to the same SAN checks as a human would? Would they be completely immune to SAN losses from other Greater Races/Lesser Races? Would they still roll SAN checks on Outer God sightings and Avatar of Outer God sightings?

Edited by klecser

I believe it would depend on the race, if it was a Yithian, I would say they would take Sanity damage from seeing Cthulhu or other Outer gods, based off the fact that in the Shadow Out of Time they are fleeing from the Outer gods. Other races, i'm not sure, but I would mostly rule that sanity is a human conception and most other creatures are not constrained by it. They might have other weaknesses however...

-Voice of the Legion

I wouldn't subject any such Mythos race to SAN checks no, because these are creatures that understand the true nature of the universe: they commonly use Mythos magic, communicate with other races and gods, etc. It might still be scary for them -- the same way tigers and bears are scary for humans -- but not sanity-blasting-inconceivable.

• Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Perhaps the larger question is: Are the Sanity rules in CoC written specifically to reflect human conditions of mental health?

The long-standing position on human cultists of the various Mythos gods is that they have Sanity = 0, and while functional as NPCs, are effectively unplayable as characters.  Sanity rolls are unnecessary or redundant for them.  I'd assume that any servitor race is going to operate under similar assumptions.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia
Human cultists, to be specific
  • Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green