All the books printed in china, why so expensive?

sgtscott658

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Most people know I have dabbled in collecting Chaosium games...

Now that's just cheating!

Interesting (if I'm not mistaken) to spot the French version of RQ and Gloranthan board games... I hope you crack them open every now and then to practice!

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

On 3/5/2020 at 2:13 AM, Valyar said:

And let's admit it - hobbies are money sinks, no way to get those dollars back.  :D

Can’t say I have had many reasons to disagree with you and this is a minor quibble for a disagreement but still here goes. Sheer enjoyment, priceless. I have got every dollar back from investments in Chaosium products and then some :)

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Most people know I have dabbled in collecting Chaosium games..

Good gods Rick, that is not dabbling, my good man!

My gaming collection would take up five of those shelves and consists of most of the material released for RQ 2 and 3 and all the hardcovers released for RQ G. That is dabbling!

1 hour ago, sgtscott658 said:

Where is your Advanced Squad Leader games? lol

On my wargaming shelf with Cross of Iron and the original SL!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

13 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can’t say I have had many reasons to disagree with you and this is a minor quibble for a disagreement but still here goes. Sheer enjoyment, priceless. I have got every dollar back from investments in Chaosium products and then some :)

Good gods Rick, that is not dabbling, my good man!

My gaming collection would take up five of those shelves and consists of most of the material released for RQ 2 and 3 and all the hardcovers released for RQ G. That is dabbling!

On my wargaming shelf with Cross of Iron and the original SL!

Speaking of original Squad Leader...IMG_9737.thumb.JPG.34aef27f7d77815cd17277bf0deb138d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

28 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Now that's just cheating!

Interesting (if I'm not mistaken) to spot the French version of RQ and Gloranthan board games... I hope you crack them open every now and then to practice!

I have a lot of the Oriflam licensed product, including both Wargames and their RQ3 line. Some are in the shrink still. I can't read French so I can't say I've done more than look at all of the cool art they did for the books, which is mostly different from the art used in the US, UK, etc.

Hope that Helps,

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

I have a lot of the Oriflam licensed product, including both Wargames and their RQ3 line. Some are in the shrink still. I can't read French so I can't say I've done more than look at all of the cool art they did for the books, which is mostly different from the art used in the US, UK, etc.

Heh.  I have the French Hero Wars hardcovers (I'm missing a couple but currently hunting them down on eBay).  It's interesting how different they are from the original books.  I also backed the upcoming French RQG, so hopefully I'll be able to review the new material they're writing.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

4 hours ago, klecser said:

I just got into ASL... ;)

Awesome wargame, it never loses its value. You cant download pdf's of the boards or counters lol. Buy as much in print official stuff from Multi man publishing, once it goes out of print the secondary market is brutal IE super expensive. I am a big ASL fan.

5 minutes ago, sgtscott658 said:

Awesome wargame, it never loses its value. You cant download pdf's of the boards or counters lol. Buy as much in print official stuff from Multi man publishing, once it goes out of print the secondary market is brutal IE super expensive. I am a big ASL fan.

So as not to cases a stink here, (Off topic, not BRP) I have a series of questions about this and I am hoping we can get away with them In Alastor’s Skull Inn. Look for a new topic, and if we get booted from there I would love to ask more in PM.

Thanks in advance.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

So as not to cases a stink here, (Off topic, not BRP) I have a series of questions about this and I am hoping we can get away with them In Alastor’s Skull Inn. Look for a new topic, and if we get booted from there I would love to ask more in PM.

Thanks in advance.

You have questions on advanced squad leader? by all mean PM me and I'll try to help you.

15 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Those look like your opened ones... where are all the unopened ones, still in the shrink? 😉

Chaosium didn't shrink-wrap individual books very often, but all of their boxed sets were shrink-wrapped. Back in the day it was a rite of passage to have to work the hot shrink-wrap machine in the Chaosium warehouse. Chaosium collated their boxed sets in house too. I do have a number of Call of Cthulhu boxed sets in the shrink, plus a number of other titles, but the only RQ boxed set I have in the shrink is the first printing of the RQ thick box. I can still remember taking the shrink wrap off of the RQ boxed supplements when I bought them in the 1980s...

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

3 hours ago, foolcat said:

Zooming in, I see the German „Die Götter“ (the gods) box, by ex-publisher Welt der Spiele. Very nice! 

I have three of the titles they published back in the early 1990s. The only titles I know they did are:

3001     1991     RuneQuest Collector’s Edition (HC)
3002     1991     RuneQuest
              1992     Das Kreaturenbuch
3040     1993     Die Gotter
3050     1993     Apfelallee
1000     1994     Schatten in den Hugeln

I'd love to know if they did more books.

Hope that Helps,

In my experience, Chaosium’s books are competitively priced for the quality. I was surprised to find they are $5-$10 lower than my mental model of how much they should cost. My favorite features are the lay-flat binding and bookmark ribbon, which I hope will remain regardless of the printer.

I am wary of printers in Lithuania since my experience with another company who prints there (Fria Ligan) has been abysmal. Extreme off-gassing enough to force me to discard the books, and rough, uncomfortable paper and covers.

Edited by Welkin

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

I'd love to know if they did more books.

They also had a 4-panel, A4 portrait format GM screen (6 pages of rules, 2 cover pages w/ artwork). Article #3010, ISBN 3-927903-08-6. Made from thin plastic.

E406966F-7907-46F3-9BD8-314D529EEAB0.jpeg.5c30a66d6fdb561d51b33b93ea3886eb.jpeg

It served as a cover for the 32-page b/w booklet of „RuneQuest Freunde und Feinde — Das Kreaturenbuch II“ (lit.trans.: RuneQuest Friends and Foes — The Creatures Book II), which came enclosed within. Article #3032, ISBN 3-927903-32-9; (c) of the translation and German edition 1992 by Welt der Spiele. This was a translation of „Monster Coliseum: Monster Book“, by Steve Perrin and Sandy Petersen. Translated by our own magister ludi Lutz Reimers, of course. ;)

30B31822-7F29-4E7D-B71C-2F4F5B67080F.jpeg.f6d4f0e5d124e3a1e5d3b635a988564c.jpeg

Edited by foolcat
Made a photo!