Enter a Podcast of Wonder

Bill the barbarian

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

Thanks! For the time being, you'll have to use episodes one and two on repeat to reach 24 hours, but we are working on our next installment.

I appreciate this hefty irreverence. Also, you can always use any of my comments.

1 hour ago, klecser said:
19 hours ago, Joerg said:

Thanks! For the time being, you'll have to use episodes one and two on repeat to reach 24 hours, but we are working on our next installment.

I don’t know about you but I am keeping my copy of  episode one unplayed in the fancy sealed plastic wrap it came in. I figure one day I will be able to retire off the funds I get from the sale!

1 hour ago, klecser said:

I appreciate this hefty irreverence. Also, you can always use any of my comments.

Irreverence, excuse me?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

10 hours ago, Minlister said:

@g33k I see your point but there settled Praxians living in Pavis isn't it? Not all the population came from outside of Prax. So why not members of the CC?

There absolutely could be; I just see it as very unlikely...if for no other reason than there just isn't as much privacy in a city, and if suspicions arise, CC-folk in Pavis can't just vanish into the desert.

I think the overwhelming majority of Survival-Covenant folk in Pavis are transients.  They come for a day, a week, a season... finish what they came for, and leave.

Maybe a few oldsters (less fit for the rigors of nomad life) might "retire" to Pavis, to act as agents for their tribe, to hold down a space for visiting tribe-members, etc etc etc...  But I don't see such oldsters relating much to any Old Pavis families (and I don't see CC oldsters passing themselves off successfully as "regular" Praxians... where are the visiting Riders, FrEx?)

Under the Lunar occupation, there were a LOT of Sables; a few individuals may have stayed a bit longer?  But mostly were transient too.

In the end, the CC are pursuing (culturally, religiously) a form of Waha's Covenant; Old Pavis families mostly HATE the Praxian nomads, and don't respect the Covenant.  I can see an exception made by some Zebra Riders, who honor Waha & Eiritha... but not making an exception for Cannibals, for Waha's sake!!!

OTOH, individual characters -- PC's or "GM Specials" -- can ALWAYS be exceptions to the generalities of the setting.  If I had a good plotline that called for this, I'd jump on it!

10 hours ago, Minlister said:

... CC is not Chaotic so I am not sure you suggestion will work although it is very interesting as a self-standing scenario hook ...

If they WERE Chaotic -- if Uroxi Chao-dar detected them -- they certainly wouldn't survive long in New Pavis!  The enclave I mentioned out in the Rubble has a solution to this, but living in close proximity to others seems likely to become problematic...

C'es ne pas un .sig

52 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I don’t know about you but I am keeping my copy of  episode one unplayed in the fancy sealed plastic wrap it came in...

Wait...

I didn't get MINE in fancy shrinkwrap!

Are you telling me I got a  used copy  of the podcast??!?

Dammit, I want my clacks back!

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

@g33k Thanks for clarifying. I had also in mind Old Pavis, I should have wrote the Rubble it would have been clearer.

But on the Chaos aspect I still don't see your point, sorry. You mentioned the ogres as a an example of the potential organization for the CC or as potential members of the CC?

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I don’t know about you but I am keeping my copy of  episode one unplayed in the fancy sealed plastic wrap it came in. I figure one day I will be able to retire off the funds I get from the sale!

Yeah, that... we stopped doing that after we were approached to contribute to the recycling of plastic packaging. Nowadays we use spider silk, from the depths of our dungeons...

45 minutes ago, g33k said:

Wait...

I didn't get MINE in fancy shrinkwrap!

Are you telling me I got a  used copy  of the podcast??!?

I fear that's unavoidable - it is very hard to record this without us hearing each other speak. And we aren't ready in any shape or form to do this as a live stream, yet.

45 minutes ago, g33k said:

Dammit, I want my clacks back!

Who was that huckster who took your copper?

39 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I KNOW people, what can I say, and no refunds, you knew that before laying yer square coins down...

Looks like I need a sharp stick and a lariat, now.

• Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

54 minutes ago, Dethstrok9 said:

I'm lost... But hopefully that will change soon:)

If the reason you are lost has to do with square coins and clacks, I can help. If the conversation that Jörg is involved in is the reason, yer on yer own. I surprised that g33k and Minlister are keeping up...

735105336_ScreenShot2020-04-01at12_16_08PM.png.c77623364426d989977183537bc94fc9.png

From the Guide to Glorantha Volume one page 12 “Coins of Glorantha.” Note the square shape is representative of the Earth Rune and Esrolia is ruled by a Matriarchy devoted to the Earth. To continue this earth symbolism one step further, copper is sacred to the deities of the earth. Unlost yet?

19 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Oh no you don’t, I can run faster than you can...

20 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Please note, that despite the new global crisis we are still the best we can for the older ecological crisis!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Irreverence, excuse me?

This is my bad Bill. I had come to learn irreverent to mean "cheeky," but in looking up a variety of definitions, it's clear that it's main definition is much more closely aligned with "disrespectful." That is not what I meant. I meant cheeky. I was attempting to compliment Joerg's humor and I messed up. I'm sorry.

48 minutes ago, klecser said:

This is my bad Bill. I had come to learn irreverent to mean "cheeky," but in looking up a variety of definitions, it's clear that it's main definition is much more closely aligned with "disrespectful." That is not what I meant. I meant cheeky. I was attempting to compliment Joerg's humor and I messed up. I'm sorry.

That was the sense I took it to mean, I thought the joke of my being cheeky on one hand (to Jörg) and claiming offence to being called cheeky on the other hand (by you) was obvious. Especially on the day of being a fool... Oh well... My bad... Perhaps we are all a little more serious these days.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

8 hours ago, Minlister said:

... But on the Chaos aspect I still don't see your point, sorry. You mentioned the ogres as a an example of the potential organization for the CC or as potential members of the CC?

Visually, Ogres pass as human.  They eat humans (and possibly human cannibals turn into Ogres sometimes).

It gives you a separate (non-CC) "cannibalism" element, if you want to link that to an Old Pavis family...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

16 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

... Perhaps we are all a little more serious these days.

As I'm wont to tell my youngest (an avid Harry Potter fan) -- No, not me!  Sirius was Harry's godfather!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

@g33k 

It gives you a separate (non-CC) "cannibalism" element, if you want to link that to an Old Pavis family...

Ok, I understand but the CC is so much more than just cannibalism. The cult aims at feeding the hungry ghosts and during the turbulent history of Pavis, how many people didn't receive proper funerary rites? Must be massive; so in a way the CC could even be a necessity for the survival of communities in the Big Rubble. An element despised by everyone, never spoken about, kept at bay, but unavoidable and as such never completely hunted down by the leaders of the various enclaves. The Dirty Secret. And this could be quite a surprise for the Lunar occupant. Pure conjecture obviously, just musing about the gaming potential here. 

14 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

That was the sense I took it to mean, I thought the joke of my being cheeky on one hand (to Jörg) and claiming offence to being called cheeky on the other hand (by you) was obvious. Especially on the day of being a fool... Oh well... My bad... Perhaps we are all a little more serious these days.

Sorry, remember that I am a classroom teacher and the world is kinda topsy turvy and with a lot of intense reinvention right now. 😕 

12 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Is your next Podcast going to cover the BRP OGL?

It is quite an important subject and Glorantha is mentioned. But it is not Glorathan news and our bailiwick is all things Gloranthan. At the moment we are discussing just a brief mention and a link to the messy thread it occupies. As a loyal listener, what is your opinion on our covering this?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

As a loyal listener, what is your opinion on our covering this?

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of people who have been around for a long time.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, Minlister said:

@g33k 

Ok, I understand but the CC is so much more than just cannibalism. The cult aims at feeding the hungry ghosts and during the turbulent history of Pavis, how many people didn't receive proper funerary rites? Must be massive; so in a way the CC could even be a necessity for the survival of communities in the Big Rubble. An element despised by everyone, never spoken about, kept at bay, but unavoidable and as such never completely hunted down by the leaders of the various enclaves. The Dirty Secret. And this could be quite a surprise for the Lunar occupant. Pure conjecture obviously, just musing about the gaming potential here. 

I don't think the CC is right, though.  In the Great Darkness, Daka Fal taught the Tribes how to separate the Living from the Dead, how to send the ghosts on their way to the afterlife.  These ways are well known throughout Prax!

YGMV & YGWV, of course!

But while the CC may be trying to do something "for the greater good" ... IMG it is misguided at best, and very probably something harmful to the very process they purport to serve.  Not every ghost hungers for blood; and even of the ones that do so, only a few have legitimate claims to blood-price for their deaths.  Does the CC limit themselves to that?  Do they address themselves to the specific injustice (if any) and only exact the ghosts' vengeance upon those who bear the guilt?

Using cannibalism to propitiate a ghost whose cause is to see their dead&unburied children get proper funerals is NOT going to lay that ghost.  It's very possible that unjustly-taken blood and death, sacrificed to the ghost, will instead warp it and emPOWer it to further bloody pseudo-vengence...

Rather than secretly aiding the CC, I expect every (sane) family in the area to solicit shamans & followers of Grandfather Mortal, Daka Fal, etc.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

It is quite an important subject and Glorantha is mentioned. But it is not Glorathan news and our bailiwick is all things Gloranthan. At the moment we are discussing just a brief mention and a link to the messy thread it occupies. As a loyal listener, what is your opinion on our covering this?

I think a brief mention is good; it seems relevant.  Ditto for when HQ/QW drops its OGL/SRD.

Honestly, though... the messy thread seems messy enough; I wouldn't promo or link it.  You might mention that there is some fannish confusion & angst, which seems to be slowly resolving...  Or maybe not even mention that...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig