Enter a Podcast of Wonder

Bill the barbarian

1 hour ago, lordabdul said:

You'll understand why when you hear what we've got in store for you! We think you'll like it! It should go out in the next day or two...

Yes, Stuffing  6 people into a box the size of a computer isn’t easy...

HEY YOU!

Yes you, the one crawling out of the box, back in with ya! See, see, what have to go through and last month it was 20 baboons... a few mules... 3 weirdos ,,, and frigging sand....

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

“Aw c’mon gramps, tell us about the deserts and Prax”… “and the mules”… “and… and, erm, and  uh.. and the buhbooms and the moonkeys and the…” 

“Breathe young Ruric, young Bosh and young Ariella… breathe, young ones” says their mom as she herself, breathlessly sweeps through the room wiping a face with spit and the edge of her tunic here, combing an unruly head of hair with her fingers absently there and  finally picking up a piece of fallen fruit, eyes sparking with barely hidden mirth. Family, she thinks.

”Let grandfather sleep, he just returned from many seasons of travel and you have bean hanging off him since he arrived!” Worrying and tucking and pulling she manages to get his blankets settled when the old traveller rolls, stretches and yawns mightily,  all while ruining her efforts, and then winking at his daughter’s voiced disapproval…

…”and sugar, can you tell us about the sugar again”, young Ruric dreamily says.. barely holding onto consciousness... and a flan.

“Sugar!”, snorts the old fellow sitting up, casting off the blankets “who cares about sugar? Let me tell you about where the moon came from and the strange town that’s there now….

"I was talking to a blowhard Lunar (are there any other kind?) and he was telling me about how wonderful everything was in those lands where the moon is always full and the rivers run with milk and honey…

“IS NOT!” yelled Bosh the bothersome. “Your lying! The moon changes every day and rivers have water!”

Briefly startled  by Bosh’s yell, Ruric looks about, “Honey?” 'Well that sounds promising', he thinks.

“Nope, not!, Now quiet, where was I…

"So I scratched my back and brushed away some sand… fascinated, I realized there was not a place on my body that did not feel the harsh rasp of sand!

"Well, I had had just about enough, I shook the last of the sand from my boots, clothing and hair, took one long look at the strange boat with its odd curves stretching out and up and ending in silver points. the unnerving lack of a sail on a vessel that was obviously meant to sail jarred me. as did the strange red paint job; plank and clinker built but… odd. That was the only word., As grains of sand fell from my beard, I turned to the Lunar chap, 

“”and you’re leaving this damn desert bound for Glamour in that there, what did you call it, Moon Ship, and can get us on as hands”? I asked our new friend. 

Three days later the Zola Fel River was now nicely familiar, our new road (as good as home to old travellers such was we), I watched the mountains loom closer, ever closer. Without rowers, we sailed, (not the right word but we did not row either and still we moved, up the fast waters racing to meet us and fruitlessly try to force us back down the river. Impossibly, up the falls we glided, all the way into the mountains. Though the ship had been too long away from the moon which was its source of power. my informant assured me this was a famous moon ship and as it got closer to the moon its power would wax and grow. it would be able to actually fly as well as mysteriously propel it’s way forward! Well thankfully he was right, cause we sailed all the ways up those rapids and waterfalls all the way into the castle of the great giant Gonn Orta…

Gonn Orta throwing Moonboat (by Ludo).jpeg

A wee voice was heard to ask, “Did he have sugar?”

“No, and worse he did not like the Captain too much cause he ordered us all back on the ship from which we had just disenbarked. Once this task was accomplished, effortlessly the giant picked up the fully loaded ship and hurled it skywards.” 

"Doomed, I thought we are finally doomed and at the end of our adventures! I had just rattled off a quick prayer to Issaries to ensure safe travel…when a thin red beam of light shot out from the ships front silver point and met mid-air with a beam coming from the moon itself... And we found ourselves miraculously flying above dinosaur herds and the great cyclopean citadels of Balazar. Birds hovered and looked at us with suspicion as we flew through their flocks, at one point giant hawks flew from one of the giant citadels and gave chase, but the woman leading them, with obvious disappointment, could not catch up… 

"Below a strange and primitive land, behind sand and ahead who knows what mystery would wait under the red moon. I looked at our shipmates and figured we would know soon enough as we sailed through the air to the Elf Sea, the start of our nautical journey to the Lunar Empire and Glamour! Another tale for another day, the voyages through Lunar rivers and skys of the pirates... yes the pirates..., and then the imperial city itself! "

'My, we will need a rough guide to Glamour, I wonder where I can get one.’

“Grandpa… that never hafpened!”

"Pirates, did you say pirates?” said the usually sedate Ariella.

1452633468_ad150.png.febff2e48674270c97789beceab77c38.png

“But I  want to hear about the buhfoons, and moonkeys"

Curious, so are we! Want to know more? We do too, we go to windwords.fm for our Glorantha info, why don’t you come along?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The Wind Word’s tribe loves to acknowledge artwork, and the artists behind them and express our gratitude as well. Nick Brooke gave us kind permission to use a cut from the Rough Guide to Glamour featured above and a bewildered Ludovic Chabant beautifully drew and donated Gonn Orta tossing a MoonShip for us at my request. 

Thanks all.... now go support 'em.

ETA any error in Dario’s work is a result of failure in my skill as a cutter not his skill as an artist. Great suff, both of you.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Gonn Orta throwing Moonboat (by Ludo).jpeg

And here we see Gonn Orta taking advantage of his huge STR and associated Manipulation Bonus to use his Throw 800% skill to throw a Moon Boat far, far away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Thanks, Bill! It was an absolute pleasure for Chris Gidlow, Mike Hagen and myself to be interviewed by you, Ludo & Joerg about our book A Rough Guide to Glamour (and sundry other whimsies and oddities), and I hope your viewers enjoy Wind Words' first (of many?) podcast interviews.

If anyone still hasn't picked up our book, it's available in print and digital formats here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/309765/A-Rough-Guide-to-Glamour

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Curious, so are we! Want to know more? We do too, we go to windwords.fm for our Glorantha info, why don’t you come along?

Great episode, guys (and not just cuz you said nice things about my stuff once again :)). Perfect listening for finally finishing up my read-through of the Rough Guide. Got a letter for ya, if you're looking for listener letters this month:

Dear Wind Words,

Last month's performance of Pelorian Rhapsody was magically hilarious. Music's obviously been a huge influence on Glorantha, both in Stafford's imagination and in later contributors like MOB, Nick, Mike, and Chris. Have there been any other Gloranthan songs--parody or otherwise--created in the past?

Austin

I'm also curious about other music-genre influences on Glorantha, but wasn't sure how to get that more tightly-worded for y'all. Especially metal, speaking as a metalhead myself :D. I've definitely thought about digging out my bass and trying out my hand at songwriting again. The Gods War has tons of great metal themes, and I bet the Lightbringer's Quest in particular would make a killer concept album.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

7 minutes ago, Crel said:

Dear Wind Words,

Last month's performance of Pelorian Rhapsody was magically hilarious. Music's obviously been a huge influence on Glorantha, both in Stafford's imagination and in later contributors like MOB, Nick, Mike, and Chris. Have there been any other Gloranthan songs--parody or otherwise--created in the past?

Austin

Hey, Austin! Have a metric buttload of Gloranthan filk!

For a couple of decades, I hosted a SingalongaNick on (ideally) the last night of every major Gloranthan convention. This was the songbook we used. 

Glorantha Songbook Continuum 2012 v1.00.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Crel said:

I'm also curious about other music-genre influences on Glorantha, but wasn't sure how to get that more tightly-worded for y'all. Especially metal, speaking as a metalhead myself :D. I've definitely thought about digging out my bass and trying out my hand at songwriting again. The Gods War has tons of great metal themes, and I bet the Lightbringer's Quest in particular would make a killer concept album.

Than you Crel for that cue. Hold on to that idea for a bit and, ah.... damn I can’t tell you... yet!

15 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

For a couple of decades, I hosted a SingalongaNick on (ideally) the last night of every major Gloranthan convention. This was the songbook we used. 

This is killing me, I promised teasing and it got killed in editing... ARRGHHH!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

This is killing me, I promised teasing and it got killed in editing... ARRGHHH!

You wanna talk about teaser content ending up on the cutting room floor? Huh? Huh? 😉

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Hey, Austin! Have a metric buttload of Gloranthan filk!

Glorantha Songbook Continuum 2012 v1.00.pdf 1.99 MB · 3 downloads

Fantastic Nick. Do you have more of those marvelous songs?

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

This was the songbook we used.

Oh, I am going to  abuse  delight the hell out of my players with these. Pure gold. Silver? Precious metal which is shiny and people compulsively acquire.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

36 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

You wanna talk about teaser content ending up on the cutting room floor? Huh? Huh? 😉

Right, it wan’t as is it was long...

20 minutes ago, Crel said:

Oh, I am going to  abuse  delight the hell out of my players with these. Pure gold. Silver? Precious metal which is shiny and people compulsively acquire.

Heavy metal, I thought.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crel said:

Considering the influence of M Moorcock's influence on Blue Oyster Cult, Hawkwind, Manowar, Wolfbane, Domine and other, finding fantasy influenced metal seems not too hard.

• Like 1

Just now, Kloster said:

finding fantasy influenced metal seems not too hard.

Oh, it's probably a third of the genre! I'm most curious about the other direction--we have Elvis in Glorantha, has anyone done Ozzy, or Kirk Hammet? etc. Or also just general themes, like all the weird punny stuff from rock & roll and funk which has slipped in. The episode in particular called out Empire of Wyrms Friends/EWF/Earth, Wind & Fire.

Though now I'm especially tempted to go muddle something together involving Harrek and the City of Wonders...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kloster said:

Fantastic Nick. Do you have more of those marvelous songs?

There's a "Stahleck Singalong" group on Facebook that seems to be the epicentre for Gloranthan filk these days. (Castle Stahleck has been the centre of the German RQ/Gloranthan scene for decades, and hosted my most memorable performances)

My most recent composition is attached - it's related to my next scenario for the Jonstown Compendium. 

It's Zola Fel.pdf

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Right, it wan’t as is it was long...

Somehow, "but we cut loads of the interview" isn't quite the panacaea you mistook it for. 😉

Seriously, I'm delighted with the podcast, and think you guys did a brilliant job of editing it down. I'm pulling your leg. No hard feelings whatsoever that you've chosen to hoard all that secret knowledge about the contents of our next Lunar Book for yourselves...

2 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

There's a "Stahleck Singalong" group on Facebook that seems to be the epicentre for Gloranthan filk these days. (Castle Stahleck has been the centre of the German RQ/Gloranthan scene for decades, and hosted my most memorable performances)

My most recent composition is attached - it's related to my next scenario for the Jonstown Compendium. 

It's Zola Fel.pdf 416.54 kB · 0 downloads

Good. I like it (and instantly began to sing in my head). Saved the file with the other one. Thanks.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Nick Brooke said:

Seriously, I'm delighted with the podcast, and think you guys did a brilliant job of editing it down. I'm pulling your leg. No hard feelings whatsoever that you've chosen to hoard all that secret knowledge about the contents of our next Lunar Book for yourselves...

Yeah, but that is not what pissed me off the fact the god learners secret... oops....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Yeah, but that is not what pissed me off the fact the god learners secret... oops....

Ixnay on the Ecretsay.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Last weekend would have seen the 25th annual convention there, if not for COVID 19, although management changed when Fabian ended the Tentacles conventions and Eternal Convention took over. Looks like Jeff was there anyway - has anybody seen the Twitch Q&A?

These last years, there have been two annual Gloranthaphile conventions in Germany, Eternal Convention at Whitsun weekend, and Fabian's successor convention Kraken usually a week before Spiel, Essen in a palais in the middle of nowhere in Brandenburg. Both are quite international.

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

For a couple of decades, I hosted a SingalongaNick on (ideally) the last night of every major Gloranthan convention.

Two good reasons for timing it thus - they are hard on the ears and voices, and unvoluntary audience has summoned the Police on occasion to quiet this down. Also, Daniel F can be found there dispensing suspicious drinks.

Telling how it is excessive verbis