Is it possible

Pheres

8 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I know it's fiction, but the Seer in Vikings was clearly a shaman, and was an important part of the culture and community. He worshipped the gods. He also seemed to be fully aware of the ancestors.

There are "shamans" around the world now that also pray to Jesus and the Christian god. (Although, usually, those outside the shaman's community may not accept it).

RW religions don't necessarily maintain a meaningful distinction between theism and animism the way Glorantha does. 

Nor do I necessarily think all Gloranthan cultures do either, but the RQ game mechanics seem to enforce the idea at least gameplay-wise.

11 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

There are "shamans" around the world now that also pray to Jesus and the Christian god. (Although, usually, those outside the shaman's community may not accept it).

Although, also, that in previous centuries, in a more religious period (about the same than sartarite ?) , this activity would probably burn the shaman's body (not spirit combat fumble, more hide or fast talk fumble)

11 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

There are "shamans" around the world now that also pray to Jesus and the Christian god.

Indeed, in Korea there's a famous Presbyterian liberation theologian, Chung Kyung-Hyung, who scandalised the World Council of Churches meeting in Canberra by shamanising the Holy Spirit when she did the Convocation. The Catholics (and many others) walked out.

I did a lot of work on her in college, she is a truly epic figure. Her performance is available on video although you might have to search harder in 2020 CE than in 1996.

Never underestimate the inspiration of real life when gaming. Never ever. I'm a Muslim and she's been my hero for like thirty years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Indeed, in Korea there's a famous Presbyterian liberation theologian, Chung Kyung-Hyung, who scandalised the World Council of Churches meeting in Canberra by shamanising the Holy Spirit when she did the Convocation. The Catholics (and many others) walked out.

I did a lot of work on her in college, she is a truly epic figure. Her performance is available on video although you might have to search harder in 2020 CE than in 1996.

Never underestimate the inspiration of real life when gaming. Never ever. I'm a Muslim and she's been my hero for like thirty years.

Thx! I was thinking of the South Koreans in particular when I posted that, but wasn't aware (maybe... My memory is starting to suck more) of the walk out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

RW religions don't necessarily maintain a meaningful distinction between theism and animism the way Glorantha does. 

Well, a lot of real world religions really try very hard to, declaring certain practices heretical and so forth. 

And the distinction between the two is not all that rigid in Glorantha, with shamans who are also priests, and religions with Rune lords but also shamans, etc. A lot of cults straddle the gap a bit. 

Notable that two of the major non-human races are very much blended - both Kygor Litor and Aldrya have shamans fully integrated into their religion along with much more traditional theist practices, and probably don't treat the distinction as a meaningful one as a religion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

Sorry for confusion, Shiningbrow! 

There are several thrusts to his argument 

1 traumatic conversion/awakening 

2 the spiritual gifts

3 xenolallia

4 his referencing plural types of spirit (healing, knowledge, wisdom etc) that may be accessed. 

I only said it was interesting, not compelling! 

Sorry for my confusing confusion emoji... 😛

There's no "srsly? That sounds weird, and interesting" emoji... 

edit: although I went to a Catholic high school, I was never Christian, and have read the Bible. The snippets I have read scream paganism, lucid dreams, OOBE, etc.

Edited by Shiningbrow

For anyone trying to create a list of spirits for a cult, Paul is actually a decent resource! 

Holiness, Christ's, God's, slavery, adoption, sluggish, gentleness, Paul's out-of-body, 'different', elemental, wisdom and revelation, the Power of the air, deceitful, cowardice, power. 

Elsewhere he attributes a list of powers to 'the one spirit' - wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, 'discernment of spirits', xenolallia and the interpretation of it. 

Pick a random few and your animist cult can be quite different from the norm!  Apologies if this has offended anyone 😕

On 3/9/2020 at 3:36 AM, GAZZA said:

Is there an actual write up for the Lightbringer's Hero Quest? It seems like one of the more useful ones to do (resurrecting dead comrades - indeed, if you go by 13th Age Glorantha, you can even get Humakti back that way) but I don't think I've ever seen it written up in full.

I ran the LBQ for a HeroQuest game, so I have a pretty detailed writeup that might see the light of day. It is based on lots of published writeups, though.

The one in King of Sartar might be the best published one.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Jesuits are also quite (in)famous for tying Catholicism to local traditions that were shamanic in nature, both in the Americas as well as parts of Asia. I haven't read up on Africa, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it there too (though much of that continent was proselytized by other movements). 

Anyway, this might not be entirely on-topic so I'll leave it at that.