Multi-man Publishing

11 minutes ago,  sgtscott658 said: 

Awesome wargame, it never loses its value. You cant download pdf's of the boards or counters lol. Buy as much in print official stuff from Multi man publishing, once it goes out of print the secondary market is brutal IE super expensive. I am a big ASL fan.

So as not to cases a stink here, (Off topic, not BRP) I have a series of questions about this and I am hoping we can get away with them In Alastor’s Skull Inn. Look for a new topic, and if we get booted from there I would love to ask more in PM.

Thanks in advance.

So as promised, How do you rate MMP @sgtscott658? Are they  good company to go buy from? You say buy now, is there a serious time limit (publishing rights vanish with the last game. When I had heard Hasbro had bought AH I figured that was it, no more ASL,  so this is of incredible interest to me.

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Howdy-

If you really like ASL and have FtF opponents, then buy as much of the official stuff as you can. MMP is a great company but they only publish limited quantities of modules due to warehouse space. They just came out with  Croix De Guerre 2020 Edition, it includes a HASL and the new and improved French OB. Hopefully I managed to answer some of your questions.

Scott

• Thanks 1

Sorry to leave BRP briefly, all, as said I was so excited to hear the thought of Squad Leader stuff I do not have, I will admit to peeing myself. I will now thank sgtscott658 and return to my usually ranting about all things BRP. 

Cheers

As a new player to ASL, I've been very frustrated that Starter Set 1 is not available. I have Starters 2 and 3, which is a good place to get me started, but Box Set 1 is sold out and it includes some good maps with basic scenarios. I recognize that I could pick some of this up via PDF or buying some maps separately (many are sold out).

In positive news, a buddy of mine was in town and we got a game in and it was a blast. Starter 2 is a fairly economical place to start, if you are interested @Bill the barbarian.

As far as learning the game, this YouTube series helped me the most: 

I've also found that watching game play on YouTube has not been helpful because rarely are they teaching games. It is veterans playing the game at the speed of light and it might as well be in a different language.I'm really missing context on WHY the rules are designed a certain way. I learn games best when I understand the "whys" of the mechanics. 

ASL is a very intimidating game to get into, but when I actually sat down and played, it was fun. But I had to concentrate tremendously because we were basically teaching ourselves with no guidance, so after playing for two hours I was exhausted.

"Why not locate veterans in your community?" Because I don't like playing games with people I don't know. Gaming needs to be an energizing thing for me, not energy sucking, and playing with randoms in my community is energy sucking 95% of the time.

So, do check it out. It is an awesome game. It just has a really really steep learning curve.

Edited by klecser

I bought my Squad Leader items back in the early 1980s. I leapt over to it after playing Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader in the late 1970s. I stopped after getting Squad Leader, Crescendo of Doom, Cross of Iron, and GI Anvil of Victory. I have heard nothing but good things about MMP, and they are in this for the long haul. A number of their things are out of print, but not to hard to get on the secondary market if you are patient. They bought all the rights to the game, so there is no license for them to lose. 

• Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

9 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I bought my Squad Leader items back in the early 1980s. I leapt over to it after playing Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader in the late 1970s. I stopped after getting Squad Leader, Crescendo of Doom, Cross of Iron, and GI Anvil of Victory. I have heard nothing but good things about MMP, and they are in this for the long haul. A number of their things are out of print, but not to hard to get on the secondary market if you are patient. They bought all the rights to the game, so there is no license for them to lose. 

Fantastic and thank you sir, for that insight. I look forward to more firefights in the streets of Stalingrad and eventually moving on to the hedgerows of Normandy and then— Berlin!

PS Yes, I believe Panzerblitz was my gateway drug into AH.