What if Runequest had eclipsed D&D?

seneschal

Alternatively, there's this thread over on the Order of The Stick site (heavily D&D oriented), bemoaning the unrealism of that system's Hit Points mechanism...

How Hit Points Ruin SoD - Giant in the Playground Forums

So is there hope the tables may yet be turned, one day?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

I'm with the sentiment that if RQ/BRP had been the top of the pile it would have gone the path of D&D... namely, it would be crushed by it's own ponderous ponderousity... bought up by some huge corporation and sapped of what had me playing it in the first place.

Sometimes it's better to stay in the shadows.

Yeah - not to come off as a jerk, but I love BRP, have since I first played it, and I'm really not interested in what it's detractors have to say. I'd rather converse with people who share my interest and enthusiasm.

There should be an emoticon for hitting the nail on the head.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I looked at the first few pages of the thread and was quickly bored with the typical DnD blah, blah, better system, blah, blah. Don't get me wrong, I think you should use the system you like best and various systems do certain things better than other systems, but I just get so tired of the typical DnD fan boy reactions.

Course, I might see more of that type of reaction due to the amount of market share the system has.:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Sweet lord jeebus

That reminds of every mac vs. pc* argument I've stumbled across on t'net and not been quick enough to navigate away from.

Al

* grrrr a mac is a pc you numbskull, you mean 'wintel' or some other lame descriptor grrr

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I don't know why, but the thread linked to in the OP reminds me of when I was about 13 or 14. At the time, I was playing DnD (that's when it was still "Advanced") and while I knew there were other RPGs out there, I couldn't find a reason why I would try them out. They're all the same, right? Plus, who wants to play in a game where you can die from just one sword hit, right?

Then I played Top Secret: SI, HârnMaster, Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, Elric!, Shadowrun, Pendragon, various World of Darkness games, Heavy Gear, and Arioch knows what else. From that point on, I could not go back to DnD even if it was a matter of life or death! After all, who wants to play a silly game where you don't even feel the effect of ten sword hits on the head, right?

So, to answer the OP's question: What if Runequest had eclipsed D&D? Well, I would not have wasted 2 years on DnD, that's what!

(Of course I realize it's a matter of taste and DnD fans all have the right to play what they want and like, but I have the same right, and I will not play DnD ever again, unless one specific friend of mine is DM. And I will accept nobody else as DM!)

Proud pen-and-paper roleplayer since 1991!

Blood and Souls for Lord Arioch!

I play both and have fun with both. I think Runequest was too "out there" for a lot of mainstream success. Funny thing is, that was my group's favorite thing about it (that and we could easily port over Call of Cthulhu monsters).

I will say this however:

There is NO BETTER system for one shot games than BRP.

121/420