Rule question: Skill points and Dodge

Agentmax7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 10:20 PM, Agentmax7 said:

Dodge starts with half dex, and you can increase dex through exp like any other skill. 

But can I raise my dodge during character creation, with adding personal interest skill points?

While it seems pretty good, and it might save your life in a pinch, the dodge rules generally end up with your character hitting the dirt in the 7th Ed Rules.  It is often better to try a brawling block using furniture, as all improv weapons are covered by brawling, and once you're rolling around on the ground you are going to get thumped next round.  A good dodge skill doesn't make you an Aikido master unfortunately.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Stormkhan Cogg - the description of the Dodge skill does not include "hitting the dirt" and, according to the rules, you can continue to Dodge further attacks after a first (of course the attacker(s) get a bonus die for you being outnumbered but the same applies if you are fighting back instead).
Darius - I think what you are describing is "Diving for cover", as used against Firearm attacks. You still use the Dodge skill but you forfeit your action for that round (or subsequent round) which sounds much more like hitting the dirt.

Of course it's up to the GM to decide how they wish the Dodge skill to play out. And having a better Brawl skill means you've got a better chance of tagging your opponent on your turn as well.

• Like 1

Also though, coming back to the original question - yes you can improve your Dodge skill using Personal Interest points but think about how that relates to your character i.e. what has happened in their life to make them improve this skill? I had one player who raised his character's Dodge skill to a pretty ridiculous level (75% IIRC) but his background was clown/circus performer so reasoned that it has been part of the acts he used to perform in so I was OK with it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Karl Frost said:

the description of the Dodge skill does not include "hitting the dirt"

Visualise it like this:

A cultist is trying to spear you. Successful dodging means you're twisting and leaning out of the way - dodging the blows. If you decide to drop to the ground (or you accidentally fall, then a successful dodge means you're rolling out of the way. You're at a disadvantage, sure, but you don't want to be pinned!

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, SHOTtheDJdown said:

Somebody knows if I choose the Dodge Skill it spends the Half Dext in the number of Education skills points?

If Dodge is a skill that is part of an Occupation or chosen as part of a flexible choice in an Occupation you can use Occupation skill points toward improving it.

On 3/21/2020 at 1:47 PM, klecser said:

Counterpoint: I will take having to tie rather than getting a higher level of success in most circumstances.

Exactly. When facing mythos monsters, I just want to avoid the hit (at full skill) rather than fight back at effectively half skill. This game is all about surviving rather than fighting back.

Also, diving for cover is mainly just for firearms (which you can't fight back against anyway, so totally worth it).

• Like 1