Questions regarding: Blackwater creek and Missed Dues, printed version

Agentmax7

Hello, I have some thoghts on the printed version of Backwater creek and Missed Dues, keeper screen pack. 

First, I really like these two scenarios. I have run them both, thanks. 

But there are some things, in my copy at least, I think is wrong or have vague descriptions.

Maybe someone already have remarked on this, then let me know.

1. On the cover "Missed Dues and Blackwater creek", but inside the order is not the same, this is a very minor thing but it is a little bit "sloppy"

2. On page 4 the introduction, chapter 5 tells you to have all the handouts in the Appendices, there are no handouts in the appendices, they are spread out in the book, all good but should be clear in the text or erased from the introduction. 

3. Where is handout nr 6, I realized  after a while that it is the background text on page 5, maybe a small text telling it is handout 6 like the other handouts. 

4. Grey read out loud text boxes are in wrong order on page 7, the Miskatonic Faculty option and the Bootleggers option should switch place.

5. In Missed Dues I have a question regarding the paper clips and timeline of events. Did Sticky Jack steal all the items on Tuesday night, October 18th. Handout 1, paper clip "double theft" is written Wednesday October 19th 1922, the text tells us "robbery occurred last night". Handout 2, paper clip "Ancient Dagger Stolen" Tuesday October 18, "Last night a thief" , Handout 3, paper clip "Papers stolen from home of professor" Wednesday October 19, 1922, "broken into last night"

Is the date on handout 2 wrong, should it be Wednesday 19 like all the other clips?

on page 61 Prof David is saying: someone broke into his study at home sometime during the night of Tuesday, October 17.is it just me or is this confusing? 

How I see it is: Monday is 17, Tuesday is 18, Wednesday is 19, the robbery's is taking place during the night Tuesday - Wednesday

I big help is when you get a timeline of events in the scenario

6. My last request is an explanation on how the apartment house, ground floor on Curzon Street is looking like on the inside (floor plan). On the front it is a double door leading into the building or straight into Marge Hockler's apartment? I tried to draw it myself, I think it works but I would like to know. The rest of the house doesn't matter it is only the ground floor I'm asking for. I think this is very clear for someone living in America who knows this kind of houses.  

Kindly,

• Like 1

I just ran Missed Dues for my group and we are in the process of running Blackwater Creek. I noted points # 1 and # 4 right away, and would have to check on the other points from my print copy.

There are at least several inconsistencies regarding page numbers and the handouts for players, as well as a lack of printable handouts for player use in Blackwater Creek. I had to copy and paste the opening Letter from Henry Roades to Professor McTavish (Handout 1) into a Word doc and print it for the players as it appears nowhere as a single page handout in the book, either print version or PDF.

14 hours ago, Agentmax7 said:

1. On the cover "Missed Dues and Blackwater creek", but inside the order is not the same, this is a very minor thing but it is a little bit "sloppy"

Noted in my post above.

2. On page 4 the introduction, chapter 5 tells you to have all the handouts in the Appendices, there are no handouts in the appendices, they are spread out in the book, all good but should be clear in the text or erased from the introduction. 

Yes, this is a significant problem as there are no printable, single page Handouts for the scenario. I will have to copy and paste the text of the Handouts from the Keeper's Screen PDF doc into MS Word docs, and then create ones of my own to distribute to the Investigators which will not have the same realism as professionally designed Handouts.

3. Where is handout nr 6, I realized after a while that it is the background text on page 5, maybe a small text telling it is handout 6 like the other handouts.

You're correct. On page 8, there is a reference to "information regarding the history of Cade (Blackwater Handout 6)," which is then nowhere to be found in the print version of the scenario's pages. However, there is a "Summary of The Confessions of Ezekiel Cade," Blackwater Handout 6 in the PDF version of the scenario near its end, on page 40.

4. Grey read out loud text boxes are in wrong order on page 7, the Miskatonic Faculty option and the Bootleggers option should switch place.

Noted in my post above.

5. In Missed Dues I have a question regarding the paper clips and timeline of events. Did Sticky Jack steal all the items on Tuesday night, October 18th. Handout 1, paper clip "double theft" is written Wednesday October 19th 1922, the text tells us "robbery occurred last night". Handout 2, paper clip "Ancient Dagger Stolen" Tuesday October 18, "Last night a thief" , Handout 3, paper clip "Papers stolen from home of professor" Wednesday October 19, 1922, "broken into last night"

Is the date on handout 2 wrong, should it be Wednesday 19 like all the other clips?

On page 55, 'The Current Situation' states, "On the night of October 17, 1922, all went well with the three jobs, and Jack made-off with his ill-gotten gains..." As you note, all three newspaper Handouts (Handouts 1, 2, and 3) state "last night" but only Handout 2 has a chronologically consistent date (Tuesday, October 18, 1922). But even this date is not entirely right - I went to print-a-calendar.com and found that October 18, 1922 was actually a Wednesday, not a Tuesday.

https://print-a-calendar.com/printable-calendars/1922

on page 61 Prof David is saying: someone broke into his study at home sometime during the night of Tuesday, October 17.is it just me or is this confusing? 

How I see it is: Monday is 17, Tuesday is 18, Wednesday is 19, the robbery's is taking place during the night Tuesday - Wednesday

I big help is when you get a timeline of events in the scenario

As noted above, Tuesday, October 17 as the date of the robbery on page 61 is consistent with the date first mentioned on page 55. Yes, a date-checked timeline for the entire scenario at its beginning would have helped immensely. Blackwater Creek has a 'Timeline of Events' on page 6, but Missed Dues lacks a timeline altogether.

6. My last request is an explanation on how the apartment house, ground floor on Curzon Street is looking like on the inside (floor plan). On the front it is a double door leading into the building or straight into Marge Hockler's apartment? I tried to draw it myself, I think it works but I would like to know. The rest of the house doesn't matter it is only the ground floor I'm asking for. I think this is very clear for someone living in America who knows this kind of houses.

On page 67, 'Inside the Apartment Block' states, "The exact make-up of the apartment block has been left ill-defined (i.e., there is no map), as the reality of the building's fabric has been shattered due to the influence of Azathoth's Court being channeled by Sticky Jack."

When I ran Missed Dues, I told the Investigators that the tenement apartment building had six floors with twelve apartments on each floor. (Large) Marge Hockler's apartment was apartment 1-A, the landlady's apartment, and had its own space at the back of the building with a cellar. Other than the double doors at the front and the rickety, not-up-to-code fire escape in the rear, the scenario states on page 66 that "...the only other access is via a kitchen door at the back of the building, which leads into Marge Hockler's apartment on the ground floor."

My Investigators just climbed up the "hard to reach" fire escape (required a DEX roll), broke a second story apartment window, and entered the building that way.

Thank you for your help, but to clarify

if I understand this right, Sticky Jack started his hunt for all 3 items, late evening on Monday 17, went back to his apartment early morning Tuesday 18.

And what about the handouts, paper clips? handout 2 is the only one with the right date? because if it is Wednesday 19th the robbery's did not take place last night?   

Sorry If i'm being confused, thanks again for your answers 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agentmax7 said:

Thank you for your help, but to clarify

if I understand this right, Sticky Jack started his hunt for all 3 items, late evening on Monday 17, went back to his apartment early morning Tuesday 18.

Page 55 of Missed Dues indicates that all three burglaries were completed by late at night on Tuesday, October 17th. However, one or more later references (e.g., "Miskatonic University Museum' on page 61) state early morning, October 18. I would use the Tuesday, October 17th date for the burglaries as that was the actual date on the 1922 calendar. The newspaper clipping Handouts state incorrect, inconsistent dates. On page 56, the scenario starts on Thursday, October 26, 1922, which is a correct date on the calendar.

And what about the handouts, paper clips? handout 2 is the only one with the right date? because if it is Wednesday 19th the robbery's did not take place last night?

The dates on all three Handouts of paper clippings are wrong. As stated above, October 18, 1922 was actually a Wednesday, not a Tuesday, on the 1922 calendar. The newspaper articles should all be dated Wednesday, October 18, 1922 as the text of all three articles state the burglaries were committed "last night."

Sorry If i'm being confused, thanks again for your answers.

You're welcome. Hopefully, Chaosium will fix these errors and inconsistencies for subsequent printings of the 7th edition Keeper Screen Pack. :)

• Like 1