Harrek

Fonrit resources?

Also, and maybe it's just because I'm a historian from the American Southeast, but I can't help but draw comparisons between Fonritian society in the Antebellum South.  So, for a perhaps unexpected influence on Fonritian architecture, might I suggest historic Charleston, South Carolina?  The climate's just about right for Afadjann, and boy howdy did those slavers effectively substitute Ompalam for the Invisible God in their religious observances.

image.jpeg.1d822112d26583f0232ecda1f7ff3721.jpeg 

A street of craft workshops, stone surfaced with plaster and painted in the cult colors of the Glorious One who presides over each trade.  All stand in the shadow of a spired temple to Tenoarpesas the Golden One, who reclaimed the power of slavery.

image.jpeg.9b26f7c2314b8e58b20bcc86e2e88216.jpeg

Image result for historic walled house charleston

Urban mansions of the masirin, shielded from prying eyes by foliage, outer walls, and more fearsome unseen defenses.  The iron spikes that encrust their perimeters

image.jpeg.6f50c76ac34fa205eeec4fb2171602a4.jpeg image.jpeg.1401693aa411133310ed6e9261a40ad7.jpeg

were originally Vadeli architectural flourishes, and serve as the physical matrices binding each masirin household's protective demons and warding spells.  Any slave who passes their influence without the leave of their master or other protection is certain to die a horrible death meant to demonstrate the futility of attempted escape to others.

Image result for charleston sc skyline

Viewed from the sea, temple spires stud the skyline of the metropolis Garguna, while the palace-estates of the masirin can spread over multiple city blocks.  The city's extensive Vadeli Quarter (from which comes its ever-burning lamps and other marvels) helps make it one of the great markets of the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For a fictionalized and semi-stylized version of a bit of a mishmash of African architectural styles, the recent remake of Age of Empires 2 released an expansion/DLC with African civilization (Ethiopians, Berbers and Malians, hence the mishmash), but it looks undeniably good: 

maxresdefault.jpg 

Berbers_preview.png 

Malians_preview.png

4DE37C8FECAA62F044CDAD82C868D073B7290DAC 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

For a fictionalized and semi-stylized version of a bit of a mishmash of African architectural styles, the recent remake of Age of Empires 2 released an expansion/DLC with African civilization (Ethiopians, Berbers and Malians, hence the mishmash), but it looks undeniably good...

Oh-hoyyy-yuh.
Oh-hoyyy-yuh.
Oh-hoyyy-yuh.

(God damn it!)

!i!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dumuzid said:

might I suggest historic Charleston, South Carolina?

Yes, and that I wouldn't have had as a first option on my list😁 But there is certainly something Fonritan in those pictures.

11 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

a mishmash of African architectural styles, the recent remake of Age of Empires 2 released an expansion/DLC with African civilization

Thanks for this, that's pretty much what I thought Garguna should look like. At least the official parts of the city, the Vadeli Quarter might look a bit different... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harrek said:

Yes, and that I wouldn't have had as a first option on my list😁 But there is certainly something Fonritan in those pictures.

I can't find any good pictures online, but the spikes atop many Charleston historic houses' perimeter walls point inward, being intended solely to deter escape by slaves inside.

• Like 1

Hi,

I am a long time player. I've been making up my own version of Fonrit used from the myths in all of the books as best i can. I have a campaign made up i have titled "Shackles of the Storm" where the players can play the slaves worshiping all of the Oppressed Ones or be "slave masters" worshiping the more potent gods.  The story follows a Moses (Let my People Go) feel. where they find prophets have reawaken magic. I set the time frame of this game during the time of when Orlanth dies and the long winter is happening. When the breath comes back the prophets are also awakened in Pamaltela.

I have interpreted the gods as "renamed". Ompalam and Garangordos used divine magic to suppress the stories of the slaves every year (taken from an adventure in Pavis: Gateway to Adventure; page 317) where the Lunars of Pavis rename the gods to suppress their power. I took this idea and said what if the slave masters of Fonrit do this every year to ensure their Power; making their stories and heroquests "the true heroquests".

Here is my list of gods of Fonrit and what they do. it is unfinished and I've been working on for about 2 years. I've even tried to come up with runes for this particular culture.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15UH82LWVw06XxSnOobnkCpuRwR0SftNAB1u1hU5fQe0/edit?usp=sharing

Some samples are: Subcults of Darleester: The Braider, the Warrior, the Bondman.

Now my most recent group is a bunch of teenagers and i thought that slavery and such would scar them. so i am currently running a game set in the Storm Age when the Artmali empire falls. again i played around with who is who and what is named what. I interpreted Baraku as Orlanth from my previous work. I said that Baraku came down the mountain Bandaku (the evil mountain) and is invading Pamaltela. The Artmali and Agimori must help each other with the fight because for he first time death has been verified to their land. in the end the Artmali must sacrifice themselves to this conflict can end ( at the moment) bringing forth part of the Greater Darkness. then a prophecy is told that the Empire will rise again after the One Responsible dies and finds his way back.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zpJ92tdyQkYOGp7HrDBamIiYS9GGdJhjpl6yoBEKsxc/edit?usp=sharing

Well this is my interpretation of things. I try to keep it canon but sometimes you have to set aside "true facts" and play with it. The Glorantha guys even said the myth are real at the same time based on whose perspective it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If you need any more I've got google docs out the ass on organizing all my thoughts. those are just the Gods information for the players as if they wanted to worship them.

I've got a ton more.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm interested to see more of your excellent documents. If you have maps, place descriptions, scenario ideas etc., I'm very interested. Thank you very much.