A Rough Guide to Glamour wins the Gold Ennie Award for Best Organized Play 2021

Nick Brooke

11 minutes ago, Gamesmeister said:

If we've already bought the pdf is there any mechanism for getting the printed book and just paying the difference? 

Thanks

Nick has replied elsewhere that DTRPG fulfillment offers no way to do this:  the Jonstown Compendium content-creators don't have the logistical infrastructure to offer these sorts of options.

• Sad 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 minutes ago, Gamesmeister said:

If we've already bought the pdf is there any mechanism for getting the printed book and just paying the difference? 

Thanks

I'm really sorry, but there isn't. I honestly wish there was - I'd love to do this exactly the way Chaosium does, by knocking the PDF price off the cost of a printed copy - but DriveThruRPG doesn't provide any tools to us community content publishers (or indeed to professional publishers) that would allow us to do this. We don't know who's bought our books, we can't email them, we can't create special deals that show up for people who've already bought the PDF... Frankly, it sucks.

If it's any consolation, any money I make from the Glamour book goes to artists so they can create beautiful artwork for our future Gloranthan books. Small comfort, I know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have just learned that if you bought A Rough Guide to Glamour in PDF before it was out in print and contact DriveThruRPG Customer Services now, they will refund the PDF purchase if you have bought the POD book (which comes bundled with the PDF).

The customer service "Contact Us" button is at the bottom left of the DTRPG home page. Good luck!

EDITED: this seems to be a clearer explanation of what happens.

PDF and Print.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke

• 1 month later...
A Rough Guide to Glamour came out three months ago. Our 112-page book is a tourist guide to the capital city of the Lunar Empire (the bad guys in most RuneQuest campaigns), but includes much more besides -- fiction, cult writeups, history, art, gazetteers and maps. Written by Chris Gidlow, Mike Hagen, Nick Brooke, Michael O'Brien, Jeff Richard, Greg Stafford & friends. Art by Dario Corallo, Simon Bray, Antonia Doncheva, Julie Hudson, BA Wayne, Dan Barker & Gene Day. Cartography by Julie Hudson, Mike Hagen, Colin Driver & Phil Anderson.
The first edition of the Rough Guide was written to support Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson, a fifty-player live-action role-playing game we started work on in 1995: it was literally twenty-five years in the making. That version (1997) was only available to players in the freeform game (fifty players X three games). The new edition has sold many more copies, and has twenty-four five-star ratings from satisfied customers, making it the most popular title on Chaosium's Jonstown Compendium webstore.
Although the initial release was digital-only (PDF, $14.95), we added a hardback edition as soon as that became possible (19 May: Print & PDF bundle, $29.95). This was the first printed book available from the Jonstown Compendium. The book comes with a downloadable Map Pack including high-resolution versions of all the maps; printed products featuring Antonia Doncheva’s beautiful illustration of the urban goddess Glamour are available from Chaosium’s store on RedBubble.
As it's a print-on-demand title, the hardcover book is only available from DriveThruRPG. You aren't likely to find A Rough Guide to Glamour on the shelves of your friendly local game store, and you can't order it from Chaosium's own website. (If you bought the PDF and want to upgrade to print, contact DriveThruRPG Customer Services via the red button in their website footer and they'll help you pick up a copy for just the cost of printing and shipping)
A Rough Guide to Glamour was a Silver Best Seller (over 100 copies sold) the day it came out, became an Electrum Best Seller (over 250 copies sold) within two weeks, and was the #1 hottest community content on DriveThruRPG for a month, fulfilling the ancient prophecy sung by the nymph Glamour, the First Inspiration of Moonson: "The tide is high but I'm holding on: I'm gonna be your number one..."
In his in-depth review, Andrew Logan Montgomery wrote: “It’s epic, mythic, quasi-historic, and profoundly ridiculous... In short, it is brilliant.” Matthew Pook wrote: "A Rough Guide to Glamour lives up to its name, all glitz and showmanship... It is brilliant in describing the mythical, mystical nature of Glamour." Jeff Richard described it as: "One of the best sources on the Lunar Empire" ... "the Guide to Glamour is about 95% how I view it." Roy Duffy called it "The RuneQuest supplement I never knew I had to have until now." And Austin Conrad says it's "probably the best work of Gloranthan fiction I’ve read."
DriveThruRPG customers have said: “Crazy, nuanced, absolutely essential... The history, mythology, and attention to detail make this a required purchase.” “It is a delight.” “Production quality of the highest standard.” “A work of sheer lunatic brilliance! Probably concocted with moonshine and/or gin, as well as a large dose of 80s music.” “Clear, well written and really beautiful, very easy to read and use... Deliciously fun!” "Ecstatic and passionate ... if you read this book you will understand the soul of the City of Glamour."
  • Like 1

Comrades!

They said it wasn't possible, that would violate ancient compacts and disturb the fundamental balance of the universe. And as ever, we Lunars have proved those pitiful nay-sayers wrong.

A Rough Guide to Glamour is the first Gold Best Selling product on Chaosium's Jonstown Compendium webstore.

As a special "Thank You!" to all our devoted subjects, every Illuminated buyer will find a couple of dozen extra pages - "directors' cut bonus features" - added to their Library on DriveThruRPG.

Hail Moonson! We are all Us!

Now, what do we do for an encore...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Dice are Screaming podcast reviews A Rough Guide to Glamour.

This is a lovely, insightful discussion -- Randy & Mike really get what we were doing. If you want to skip to our bit, it starts 16 minutes in and runs for the rest of the episode.

Edited by Nick Brooke

• 1 month later...
The thirtieth ️ rating for our book A Rough Guide to Glamour is rather special: it came with a review by the celebrated RPG historian Shannon Appelcline, author of Designers & Dragons:

This could have been just another roleplaying sourcebook. At the hands of Gidlow, Brooke, Hagen, and others it still would have been brilliant. But instead of taking that staid, traditional route, the group did something entirely different and better.

A Rough Guide to Glamour is a hodge-podge of materials about the capitol of the Lunar Empire that, like the best material on Glorantha, tells its stories through both the intersections and the absences in a series of overlapping materials. (At one point, I thought this could have a been a 21st issue of the long-gone and much lamented Tales of the Reaching Moon magazine, a Lunar Special, but it's actually something much more than that.)

The major article is a rather extensive Gazetteer of Glamour, but rather than being the sort of thing you'd find in LE1: The City of Glamour, it instead reads more like a tourist guide — and it turns out to be a pretty wonderful way to view a roleplaying city, because it's full of plot seeds and ideas that you could turn into real gameable moments if your players somehow make it all the way out to Glamour.

The other most gameable part of the book is a pair of cults. The Red Emperor is one of the most extensive cults in all of RuneQuestdom, while Glamour is a fine example of a mischievous, rebellious city god. These materials could easily be used for any RQ game.

The rest of the book is made up of the rather joyfully overlapping stories that give all of this depth. There's some fiction that provides some rather interesting insights into the Lunar Empire and the Red Emperor. There's a bit of song that's more of an ode to the Queen than the Emperor but is still hysterically funny. There's also information on history, peoples, governance, and the nearby regions that's everything you wanted to know about the Lunar Empire but were afraid to ask.

Overall, a wonderful bit of Glorantha lore, highlighting the Lunar Empire as seen by its biggest fans in the '90s.

Oh, and it's wonderfully produced with beautiful art and great design. Get the POD, it's a great looking hardcover.

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Out now in Print and PDF: A Rough Guide to Glamour (maintenant en français aussi!)

Disponible dès à présent dans le Jonstown Compendium: le Guide pratique de Glamour, edition français. 12.50€ pour 135 pages en PDF (+ 7 de cartes).

Le Guide pratique de Glamour est votre indispensable compagnon de voyage pour toute visite de la capitale du plus grand empire que le monde de Glorantha ait jamais connu !

Glamour VF.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now up to five  ratings and three reviews.

If you've bought this book already, and you want to see more French-language works on the Jonstown Compendium, please consider leaving a rating or even a review on the DriveThruRPG product page: it really helps!

If you haven't yet bought this book, and you want to see more French-language works on the Jonstown Compendium, please buy our book!

Glamour Reviews.png

If you bought our Rough Guide to Glamour, we've just added a new file of bonus content from the new French edition: the colour map of the Lunar Empire*, a beautiful cross-section through the City and Crater*, a selection of moody author photos in black & white, and most of the extra bits that were added in translation.
In French. 🇫🇷
Because you're worth it.
* these bits are in English. 🇮🇪
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A Rough Guide to Glamour has just won the Gold ENNIE Award for "Best Organized Play 2021."

Awards ceremony here. Acceptance speech here. Excuse me while I have a little lie-down.

Edited by Nick Brooke
Added link to awards ceremony on YouTube
  • Like 10

• Nick Brooke changed the title to A Rough Guide to Glamour wins the Gold Ennie Award for Best Organized Play 2021