A Rough Guide to Glamour wins the Gold Ennie Award for Best Organized Play 2021

Nick Brooke

Available now from the Chaosium’s Jonstown Compendium webstore: the revised and expanded Rough Guide to Glamour.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/309765/A-Rough-Guide-to-Glamour?affiliate_id=392988

PRINT ON DEMAND: now available in premium and standard colour hardcover

A Rough Guide to Glamour is your indispensable companion for any visit to the capital city of the greatest empire the world of Glorantha has ever known!
This book contains:
• A comprehensive map, gazetteer and guidebook detailing the capital of the Lunar Empire;
• Portraits and descriptions of eleven Very Important People who can be encountered there, including Moonson, the Red Emperor, and the Lunar hero Jar-eel the Razoress;
• A description and map of the Sultanate of the Silver Shadow, the throbbing heart of the Lunar Empire;
• Sweeping overviews of the geography and history of the Lunar Empire;
• RuneQuest writeups for the cults of the Red Emperor, immortal wizard-ruler of the Lunar Empire, and the goddess Glamour, the humble nymph who became the First Inspiration of Moonson;
• Insights into the secrets of Kalikos Icebreaker, the Lunar College of Magic and the Imperial Monopolies of the Etyries cult;
• Never republished supporting material from the legendary fanzine Tales of the Reaching Moon;
• Rumours, fiction, poetry, and more besides!
This is a thoroughly revised and expanded edition of the original Rough Guide to Glamour, written by Chris Gidlow, Mike Hagen, Nick Brooke, Michael O’Brien, Jeff Richard, Greg Stafford and friends, lavishly illustrated by Dario Corallo, Simon Bray, Julie Hudson and other artists. 
Foreword by Jeff Richard, Chair and Creative Director of Chaosium Inc.
A Rough Guide to Glamour was first published as a players’ background book supporting Reaching Moon Megacorp’s Life of Moonson, a 50-player live-action role-playing game that debuted in 1997 and ran in the United States, Europe and Australia.

GLAMOUR Cover 140320.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke
Ennie Award!
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 5

The beautiful cover artwork is by Dario Corallo and Julie Hudson. Authors include Chris Gidlow, Mike Hagen, Michael O'Brien, Jeff Richard & yours truly. Foreword by Jeff Richard, interior art by Dario, Julie, Simon Bray, Antonia Doncheva, BA Wayne and Dan Barker. Cartography by Mike Hagen, Julie Hudson, Colin Driver and Phil Anderson. Layout by moi.

Edited by Nick Brooke
tweaks
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Ummm, wouldn't that be the God Learner Empire???

I think you are confusing ‘biggest empire’ with ‘most awesome empire’. The difference is clear in New Pelorian.

The God Learner empire is clearly aesthetically and spiritually inferior, with an intellectual climate that clouds true wisdom. And surely the mighty Lunar army would have proved themselves superior. 

Edited by davecake
  • Like 1

What do we mean by "thoroughly revised and expanded"? I'll tell you...

The 1998 edition of the Rough Guide to Glamour (with red card covers: the most complete version) contained about 29,000 words. We have cut out a third of the book: sections either reprinted in or made redundant by the Glorantha Sourcebook (eg: The Lunar Pantheon, Dart Competitions & New Year Ceremony) and sections primarily written to support the freeform Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson (eg: Recent History, a list of Sultanates, Provinces etc. and their rulers). So there are 20,000 words from the old Guide remaining.

The Jonstown Compendium edition of the Guide contains more than 50,000 words.

Most major sections are significantly expanded (eg: the Gazetteer is 60% longer, detailing 117 locations in Outer Glamour; the Rough Guide itself has two new pages on Holidays and Festivals). We have incorporated material from the Guide to Glorantha (a full writeup of the Silver Shadow Sultanate, with a new map by Colin Driver), from Tales of the Reaching Moon (Cult of the Red Emperor, Lunar Government, Satraps & Sultans, Letter from a Monopolist, A Visit to Glamour), and from the epic Yolanelathon (three interlinked stories by MOB and myself, presented at various conventions in the nineties but never collected under one cover). There is a new 4,000 word writeup of the Cult of Glamour by Jeff Richard, plus obscure rumours, fragments and oddities scattered throughout (eg: Antiquities of Old Glamour, Red Empire, Pelorian Rhapsody, Annual Dinner of the Lunar College of Magic).

If you liked the original Rough Guide to Glamour, we think you'll like this version even more!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thaz said:

Is this PDF or print as well? Looks Amazing. 

Thank you! Our friends at the Chaosium want to own printed copies of this book almost as much as we all do, and I know that MOB will leave no stone unturned to secure a POD option.

• Like 6

Just now, Nick Brooke said:

Thank you! Our friends at the Chaosium want to own printed copies of this book almost as much as we all do, and I know that MOB will leave no stone unturned to secure a POD option.

Coooooooooooooooool Beans.  I cant quite recall if there's a copy in my vault of the previous edition. I'm not Rick Meints but I do have to use a spreadsheet to keep track of my RQ library.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

My money is on a younger Marlon Brando.  But, you know, six of one, half dozen the other.

!i!

I'll take your money. Thank you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, davecake said:

I think you are confusing ‘biggest empire’ with ‘most awesome empire’. The difference is clear in New Pelorian.

The God Learner empire is clearly aesthetically and spiritually inferior, with an intellectual climate that clouds true wisdom. And surely the mighty Lunar army would have proved themselves superior. 

I think you've got your moon-coloured glasses on again...

On 3/12/2020 at 12:05 AM, davecake said:

You say that until the God Learners use their almighty Runequest Sight™ to prove that the moon rune is just two stasis runes stapled together over a light rune.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jeff said:

Bah, as I have told Nick many times, we all know that Elvis was Magnificus. Argenteus on the other hand is Telly Savalas. 

There's only one Chaosium staffer that I will listen to on this subject.

image.jpeg

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 3/12/2020 at 6:05 AM, Thaz said:

Coooooooooooooooool Beans.  I cant quite recall if there's a copy in my vault of the previous edition. I'm not Rick Meints but I do have to use a spreadsheet to keep track of my RQ library.  

I am Rick Meints, and I don't use a spreadsheet to track my collection! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

5 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I am Rick Meints, and I don't use a spreadsheet to track my collection! 🙂

C'mon, man... we ALL know you do it old-school!

You spread it all over your bedroom, and SLEEP stop the pile, gloating.

The rest of your abode is just a massive set of traps for those foolish enough to attempt a raid...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig