The Original Harley Quin

seneschal

Today we usually associate the name "Harley Quin" with a relatively recent female Batman villain.  But in Agatha Christie's 1930 stories, Quin is a mysterious, possibly supernatural, male righter of wrongs.  While on the side of the angels, Quin strikes me as somewhat creepy -- a sinister fairy godfather with a nose for murder.  Sounds like adventure fodder to me, since he prods the protagonist of the tales into taking action to prevent or redress crimes.

• Thanks 2

On 3/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, Thaz said:

Mr Harlech Quinn was pretty gosh darn cool.  I do miss my shadowrun collection but it had got ridiculous. 

With the exception of the armour rules ("only anti vehicle weapons can hurt me!") I honestly think 1st edition was probably the best. I don't get why RPGs have to have a metaplot nowadays, especially when they're as silly as WoD and Shadowrun's became. Then again, I suppose King of Sartar is Glorantha's metaplot. I don't like that either. :)

4 hours ago, GAZZA said:

With the exception of the armour rules ("only anti vehicle weapons can hurt me!") I honestly think 1st edition was probably the best. I don't get why RPGs have to have a metaplot nowadays, especially when they're as silly as WoD and Shadowrun's became. Then again, I suppose King of Sartar is Glorantha's metaplot. I don't like that either. :)

shadowrun's rules are why i don't play it. it's a game of orks with uzis: it should be light and fast and combat should be ugly and brief. Instead, it's heavy, ponderous, and combat takes like hours to figure out. i have given up on so many games of shadowrun... i just want it to live up to its original selling point.

one day i'll find rules i can use to play shadowrun, though. one day.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

that's interesting, is it an adaptation of the standard rules? as in, can we hack stuff from other products easily?

That's its entire purpose. Its official I belive 

• Like 1

SRA is indeed an official product.

It gets mixed reviews.  I have not played it.  There have been some threads on RPGnet, Reddit, etc.

I am given to understand they missed the bar of "Rules Light" but it's rather notably lighter than the new edition, or any prior edition, really.  Or so I understand.

You should also take a look at surprisethreat.com, if you decide to jump on SRA.

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

shadowrun's rules are why i don't play it. it's a game of orks with uzis: it should be light and fast and combat should be ugly and brief. Instead, it's heavy, ponderous, and combat takes like hours to figure out. i have given up on so many games of shadowrun... i just want it to live up to its original selling point.

Or contrarily: it's cyberpunk with orks. And for cyberpunk (like most sci fi games), crunchiness often is the selling point.

18 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I wonder of Shadowrun with Necromunda-esque combat rules would be. Different genres, I know, but sounds kinda neat.

you could play it with the Fate version of ECLIPSE PHASE, transhumanity's fate, particularly given all the base supplemental materials available for Fate

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 7:29 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

one day i'll find rules i can use to play shadowrun, though. one day.

You only really need to "find rules" if you want to use another crunchy system -- one where you can indeed both model orks and uzis appropriately. If you want something "light and fast", however, you don't care as much: by definition there won't be many stats and numbers to crunch. So use FATE, use HeroQuest, use whatever is your go-to light-and-fast system... by virtue of it being a light-and-fast system, there's only a few numbers to write down anyway, so it's easy to eyeball everything.

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !