Is the Corona-virus affecting your games?

Dethstrok9

5 hours ago, Loïc said:

But wrong point :

Understod you perfectly well just a note to improve your english.. saying "a negative point" or "a bad point" might be better. Autrement, je suis certain, que ton anglais est mieux que mon francais.

À votre santé

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

11 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Understod you perfectly well just a note to improve your english.. saying "a negative point" or "a bad point" might be better. Autrement, je suis certain, que ton anglais est mieux que mon francais.

À votre santé

Thanks for the advice! And no mistake in your french sentences... 😉

• Thanks 1

I forgot three other game-practices in containment :

- gamemastering my 7 year-old son with my old Black Eye books (nostalgy...) and soon my wife will join us ! Victory ! I think I will soon get my son on Elfquest...

- teaching my son to paint some 28mm miniatures (mainly some old WH orcs from the early 1990s). It's really great time, and I'm impressed by his patience and his attention !

- going back on my own miniatures projects (Bob Murch CoC and Pulp Figures, some Warlod Games Judge Dredd...). I precise I don't play miniatures games, just painting them and building settings as a hobby.

To all gaming-parents : it's a great opportunity to make your children discover tabletop RPG. Just don't forget it's not a good idea to slay a 7 years-old kid's PC ! 😜

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Loïc said:

To all gaming-parents : it's a great opportunity to make your children discover tabletop RPG. Just don't forget it's not a good idea to slay a 7 years-old kid's PC ! 😜

I met my wife at the gaming table (in the library, in high school).  We have been gaming together ever since.  🥰

When it came time to create a first "official" (by the rules) PC for our eldest child (who was 6 or 7 at the time, IIRC) my wife instructed me to "cheat" to make the PC extra-survivable.  😱

I advised her that -- instead of "cheating" -- I was simply (and unusually) going to let my "inner munchkin" have free reign in the design/build of the character.   😇

Edited by g33k
clarity
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, Loïc said:

I forgot three other game-practices in containment :

- teaching my son to paint some 28mm miniatures (mainly some old WH orcs from the early 1990s). It's really great time, and I'm impressed by his patience and his attention !

I've been painting 28mm sci-fi miniatures with my children, for use with Infinity. It is very relaxing and mindful to sit in the sunshine painting together.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Loïc said:

My eldest son (15 years old) discovered tabletop RPG a few years ago (both parents are/were players), but he tried online before me (last week, because of the impossibility of face to face meetings).

• Like 1

I thought this would be the appropriate time to trundle out a link to my old web article, Glorantha for the Yoots, in which I detail playing HeroQuest with my then-5-year-old son.  I can't locate a copy of it now, though.  I didn't mention it at the time (2005), but I was playing RPGs with my very young kids largely as a result of a brief period of unemployment.  The circumstances were totally pants, but the memories are priceless.  Happiness is often not something you experience, it's something you remember -- I encourage everyone to cherish these moments.

We went on to playing a little bit of D&D3.5 a few years later (I really have to find, scan, and share the character sheet from his totally-metal, power-gamer Dragonborn Druid with Dire Wolf companion from when he was 10), and every so often I hear rumors that he dabbles in 5e/Pathfinder now that he's 20.  With all of us in the same home for the moment (including his 18-year-old sister), we're beginning to break out the board games (the ironic charm of Pandemic and Contagion wore off quickly), and I'm eyeing the old RPGs again as an alternative to dueling for bandwidth on Netflix from separate rooms.

Courage and cheer, mates,
!i!

• Like 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Hi folks,

I'm normally just a lurker here so sorry to be late to this thread. We thought that it was sensible to stop any face-to-face sessions for the time being so I have run a couple of RQ sessions just using Discord which worked because the other five chaps had already had rolled up paper character sheets in previous sessions. As long as you don't try to be too complicated, a session lasting a couple of hours worked well.

I had never used Discord before so I spent 20 minutes playing with it before-hand and found that the downloaded version of the PC client was the most reliable, the browser version was okay and the Iphone app was the least reliable as the voice kept dropping out, althugh the chat was fine for all versions. 

Cheers,

Craig

• Like 2

Hi All,

Bizarrely, I think I’m gaming more as a result of Covid-19.  Happens that I backed the Fantasy Grounds Unity Kickstarter, with the Call of Cthulhu essentials pack.  So, to learn the system until I can get my RuneQuest rule set working, I’ve been using that and discord to run CoC adventures for some of my normal players, and also a demo for some cow-orders.

It’s quite a nice way to run adventures, provided your using a supported system. Otherwise I’d probably say that you’ll get as much out of the free remote tabletop systems, for quite a bit less money.  That said, there are a lot of systems which are user-supported for free, even if the support is of varying quality.

— 

Malc

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 2:02 PM, Megabeing said:

As long as you don't try to be too complicated, a session lasting a couple of hours worked welI

I’ve been lucky enough not to need online play until the current situation forced my hand, so I’m just working it out and I agree with your sentiment – KISS seems the way to go. We have had success using FaceTime for video chat and Messages for sharing handouts, along with the occasional DropBox download link for chunkier docs like character sheets. Of course, you all need to be Apple users for this to work, but no desktop computer  is needed, for the players at least – mine are just using iPads and iPhones. I think I’d find it a pain having to run from only my iPad, sending docs from my Mac makes it straight forward. The same ought to be possible over Skype and any decent messenger that can send images, something I may have cause to try soon with a different group.

We started with a short scenario from Gateways to Terror to test things out, which lasted a couple of hours, but last Saturday we managed 6 hours without too much stress. That demonstrates that the session worked well, especially as we didn’t notice the time passing. We’re sticking to Call of Cthulhu for now as it suits theatre of the mind which suits the medium well. I had a dabble with all the fancy features of Roll20, but found it a bit clunky and more than I want to bother with (and I’m a techy). 

• 4 weeks later...

It turns out that now I’m playing online I’m actually getting more games in. Still using FaceTime with my usual FTF gang, but now we’re playing once a week rather once a fortnight, a direct result of people being stuck at home and being able to find the time to game. I joined a club at the start of the year and have just started running a Traveller campaign for them, so that’s another weekly session. Only shame I is I joined the club to play rather than remain the eternal GM, but it’s all gaming at the end of the day. It was my first use of Discord last night, using video with it, and I have to say it works a treat. 

Finally, this afternoon, after several weeks struggling to learn all sorts of (new to me) on-line technology so I can 'function' in the 'real virtual' world, I have got my group 'up and running' with a new RPG venture in the 'imaginary virtual world' - an introductory Call of Cthulhu scenario - using (relatively) old technology (one player is a bit of a technophobe - email is about as far as we can 'push' him - Zoom, or Roll20, or anything like that is out of the question for now at least).

42 minutes ago, Phil Hendry said:

Finally, this afternoon, after several weeks struggling to learn all sorts of (new to me) on-line technology so I can 'function' in the 'real virtual' world, I have got my group 'up and running' with a new RPG venture in the 'imaginary virtual world' - an introductory Call of Cthulhu scenario - using (relatively) old technology (one player is a bit of a technophobe - email is about as far as we can 'push' him - Zoom, or Roll20, or anything like that is out of the question for now at least).

I hope you can get playing Call of Cthulhu over E-mail to work... 

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

21 hours ago, g33k said:

Before the internet, there was "play by post" -- literal snail-mail letters, delivered via good ol' USPS.

Luddites FTW!

So you were able to finish a game of Call of Cthulhu this way?

-Voice of the Legion

44 minutes ago, Dethstrok9 said:

So you were able to finish a game of Call of Cthulhu this way?

I was always fortunate enough to have in-person face-to-face groups, and didn't need to play by mail.

I report only that some people did so... And apparently found it worthwhile enough to keep doing so for many months on end.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

It’s going really well. The game is very different to any game we’ve ever played ‘tabletop’ - partly that’s because Call of Cthulhu is different from any of the games we’ve usually played, but also because we’ve never PBEMed like this before... And we are having a blast. There is a good deal of tension involved - it turns out to be a good medium for building suspense - providing the Keeper has a decent command of the English language. And everyone says they’re enjoying it - when they’re not worrying about what awful thing is going to happen to their character.

• Like 1