Platinum Best-Seller: The Duel at Dangerford

Nick Brooke

OK, I’ve just uploaded my new short RuneQuest scenario to the Jonstown Compendium:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307504/The-Duel-at-Dangerford?affiliate_id=392988

It's called The Duel at Dangerford. The scenario itself is a couple of dozen pages long, and since only gamemasters and confirmed non-combatants are ever likely to pick it up, I thought it’d be a good place to share some colourful ideas I came up with for The Smoking Ruin and The Dragon of Thunder Hills as appendices. Rated the "Hottest Community Content" on DriveThruRPG!

"This is wonderful. The absolute love for the setting hits you straight in the mouth." -- Michael Kirkbride, Concept Artist & Writer for Morrowind.

Duel at Dangerford - Print.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
Over 1,000 copies sold!
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Thaz said:

Huzzah for everyone. Love the cover art by the way 🙂

Public domain artwork FTW! This is Horatius Cocles Defending the Bridge, painted by Charles Le Brun in 1642 (ish). It's kinda-sorta relevant to the scenario.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Puckohue said:

I got so excited I almost ordered two pdf:s. :)

I approve this plan. Keep one in the shrink, and use the other one for gaming.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Public domain artwork FTW! This is Horatius Cocles Defending the Bridge, painted by Charles Le Brun in 1642 (ish). It's kinda-sorta relevant to the scenario.

Really? It looks quite modern, almost cartoonish. Did you put it through any filters? Actually, just checked and it looks as though you didn't.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Really? It looks quite modern, almost cartoonish. Did you put it through any filters? Actually, just checked and it looks as though you didn't.

Wikimedia FTW.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Le_Brun,_Charles_-_Horatius_Cocles_defending_the_Bridge_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke

I love how Prince Orontes makes a brilliant return to the spotlight. That may be worth forgetting about my plans to have him sent to Refuge in 1620, along with five Yanafali rune lord guards, earning the name of Prince Kitty-Cat while presiding over a lot of bad things, including the Wind Stop.

Great job on the poetry, as usual.

Also thank you very much for providing the rumors about Moirades still having a hand in the affairs of Tarsh. Much appreciated.

Now how would you suggest to play this if in your game Fazzur's betrayal occurred on the evening before the Battle against Kallyr in 1625, as per canon?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I enjoyed the read, and I’m glad you decided to publish your notes from the smoking ruins.

It’s a good thing the preview includes the introduction where the premise is described: an alternate timeline for the Battle of Dangerford and Battle of the Queens. As the scenario plays out during the alternative Battle of Dangerford the premise is not unimportant.

My campaign has already played through the Battle of Dangerford and I was planning for a Battle of the Queens in Fire Season, after the Smoking Ruins in Sea Season. I’ll have to see what I can actually use from this publication. The duelling scene is hilarious so I will have to make room for it.

As I’m planning for The Smoking Ruins the notes were very helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Now how would you suggest to play this if in your game Fazzur's betrayal occurred on the evening before the Battle against Kallyr in 1625, as per canon?

(shrug)

That's not how it happened in my campaign. I don't really have the bandwidth for hypotheticals.

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Thank you very much for providing the rumors about Moirades still having a hand in the affairs of Tarsh. Much appreciated.

That nonsense always did made me laugh. I needed a Big Secret for the defector to leak, and now I spend my spare time wondering how long it'll be until our heroes infiltrate the sinister ghost palace on the Dark Side of the Moon to take down the shadowy necromancer-lord behind Lunar Tarsh.

• Like 1

If you picked up my new scenario yesterday, you should be able to leave a rating or review on DriveThruRPG today (there's a short pause built into the system, to make sure you've had time to read any new product before you review it). I'd really appreciate positive customer feedback, or constructive suggestions!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307504/The-Duel-at-Dangerford?affiliate_id=392988

Oh look: I got a nice gong from DriveThru for >100 sales.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/themes/dtrpg/images/buttons/english/MetalBestSeller-Silver.png
That's because all the cool kids are reading my scenario now. Don't miss out! And please don't forget to leave five-star ratings and rave reviews on the product page: it's greatly appreciated.

On 3/26/2020 at 6:37 AM, Nick Brooke said:

Well, that's gratifying.

And "The Duel at Dangerford" is still the #1 Hottest Community Content on DriveThruRPG more than 24 hours later. I must be doing something right...

OMG, it's a small hobby isn't it? My little scenario is currently the #6th best seller of ALL THE THINGS on DriveThruRPG. Get in there!

image.png.2c0e249dc3a3fcdeb0e508bae6a199d7.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, coffeemancer said:

bought and read it today.
Pretty good. I like your writing style.

Thank you for saying so! If you liked my scenario, please remember to leave a rating and/or a review at DriveThruRPG (there’s a 24-hour wait before you can do that, because reasons); and if you’re planning on running it and have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch (here, Facebook, or via email to nick[at]etyries[dot]com )

well, after going to work I came to wondering if the arkati is a physical dude just sitting on the island in the mortal world or if he is in the hero or godplane?

Cant access the pdf at work so its not so much a question about something being unclear but me being curious and impatient.

seem to recall it mentioned that an improvised humakt ritual could summon him but im not sure if I read that or imagined it...

54 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

well, after going to work I came to wondering if the arkati is a physical dude just sitting on the island in the mortal world or if he is in the hero or godplane?

seem to recall it mentioned that an improvised humakt ritual could summon him but im not sure if I read that or imagined it...

The way I see it - he’s usually not there, but when you start doing Humakti-interest stuff on his patch of holy ground he manifests from the Other Side (probably from the “Hero Plane,” if you care about Gloranthan mythological topology more than I do). 

I assume any group of Glorantha fans can improvise a Humakti ritual on the fly, but if not - mark out the border of a duelling space (probably by drawing a line on the ground with your sword-point), make some kind of sacrifice, invoke the deity. You’ve just created a patch of sacred ground, and Skall the Arkating is now very interested in what happens next. I would allow this without spending magic points on worship or Rune points to Sanctify a space. Making rolls vs. Worship Humakt, Devotion to Humakt, Death or Truth Runes is always an option.

He has a physical body once he manifests, but he’s using heroquest cheat codes, which is where my Matrix analogy comes into its own - nobody but another hero is going to be able to lay a finger on him, and he’s scarily lethal.

2 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

The way I see it - he’s usually not there, but when you start doing Humakti-interest stuff on his patch of holy ground he manifests from the Other Side (probably from the “Hero Plane,” if you care about Gloranthan mythological topology more than I do). 

I assume any group of Glorantha fans can improvise a Humakti ritual on the fly, but if not - mark out the border of a duelling space (probably by drawing a line on the ground with your sword-point), make some kind of sacrifice, invoke the deity. You’ve just created a patch of sacred ground, and Skall the Arkating is now very interested in what happens next. I would allow this without spending magic points on worship or Rune points to Sanctify a space. Making rolls vs. Worship Humakt, Devotion to Humakt, Death or Truth Runes is always an option.

He has a physical body once he manifests, but he’s using heroquest cheat codes, which is where my Matrix analogy comes into its own - nobody but another hero is going to be able to lay a finger on him, and he’s scarily lethal.

aside from one of them playing Kodp my players dont know glorantha well.

so, gonna be kinda fun to see what they improvise...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

aside from one of them playing Kodp my players dont know glorantha well.

so, gonna be kinda fun to see what they improvise...

You’re part of the “group of Glorantha fans,” you’re allowed to help them out!

Briefly seriously: if you create barriers to your players' enjoyment of Glorantha, they won't enjoy playing in Glorantha so much. I try to collaborate with my players to make our Gloranthan games cool and exciting and interesting, and it pays dividends. Expecting them to know everything and put in all the effort while you smirk behind your GM screen is a heavy burden, especially if you're the most Gloranthaphile person at the table.

So if there's a scene where you think your players might have problems working out what to do, help them brainstorm through it. Think in terms of ritual magic, or coming up with verbal / somatic / material components, or how summoning looks in a cartoon series they enjoy, whatever model you understand best. They're doing something worship-like, they know the name of the god Humakt, he likes swords (so get yours out and wave it around), it's got something to do with a marked duelling-ground and issuing a challenge to your enemy: now improvise!

• Like 1