Platinum Best-Seller: The Duel at Dangerford

Nick Brooke

30 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Briefly seriously: if you create barriers to your players' enjoyment of Glorantha, they won't enjoy playing in Glorantha so much. I try to collaborate with my players to make our Gloranthan games cool and exciting and interesting, and it pays dividends. Expecting them to know everything and put in all the effort while you smirk behind your GM screen is a heavy burden, especially if you're the most Gloranthaphile person at the table.

So if there's a scene where you think your players might have problems working out what to do, help them brainstorm through it. Think in terms of ritual magic, or coming up with verbal / somatic / material components, or how summoning looks in a cartoon series they enjoy, whatever model you understand best. They're doing something worship-like, they know the name of the god Humakt, he likes swords (so get yours out and wave it around), it's got something to do with a marked duelling-ground and issuing a challenge to your enemy: now improvise!

Yeah this is pretty much what I do too. 

I am just flippant and full of "cruel GM" energy in my replies, I must admit.

Will report back on how my players did, but it seems we wont get to play til next weekend

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

I am just flippant and full of "cruel GM" energy in my replies, I must admit.

I've seen some strangely counterproductive behaviours from other GMs at the RPG club I frequent, where they seemingly set out to drive players away from their favourite settings by punishing them for not knowing enough... it's a very seventies, "Dungeon Master vs. Players" mindset that I would have expected to have died out long ago. Which is why I replied.

38 minutes ago, coffeemancer said:

Will report back on how my players did, but it seems we wont get to play til next weekend

Good luck when you do, and I look forward to hearing what happened. If you want any helpful advice, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Review roundup: my scenario The Duel at Dangerford currently has thirteen 5-star top ratings on DriveThruRPG! It was the #1 Hottest Community Content across all systems, settings and publishers for a week after release, and rose to 6th Bestselling Title on the world's largest RPG download store. I'll let the RuneQuest Glorantha fans speak for themselves:

“This is wonderful. The absolute love for the setting hits you straight in the mouth.”

-- Michael Kirkbride, Concept Artist & Writer for Morrowind, via Facebook, 26 March 2020

“It’s an idiosyncratic mishmash with a strong authorial voice* and I love it.

• especially footnotes.”

-- Dr Andrew Cowie (@dracowie), via Twitter, 16 April 2020

“The first scenario which really fullfils the ‘take one’s place in the Hero Wars’ promise of Classic RuneQuest… we got to take part in and influence a key turning point in the history of Sartar in true epic style, meeting famous characters and appearing in the Dragon Pass board game. A cast of thousands and never a dull moment… Read Nick’s asides and footnotes, explaining his ancient and pop-culture sources and inspirations, how he ran Chaosium published scenarios in the same epic idiom and, to cap it all, a genuine epic poem.”

-- Chris Gidlow (playtester), review on DriveThruRPG

The level of quality of the Jonstown Compendium products is just astounding and this one does not disapoint… It is not ‘only’ a scenario, it is also a sourcebook as it gives background on the area and critical NPCs for the region and Hero Wars… A scenario where players get to get involved in something bigger than them, to be players of the change in Dragon Pass. Highly recommended.”

-- Cédric C., review on DriveThruRPG

“I totally agree with the previous comments about quality. They feel like they sit with the new RuneQuest releases. I loved reading this and preparing to play. Sometimes it is just nice to enjoy a product. It is well written with a great amount of background detail - and there is help too if you are new to RuneQuest and Glorantha or if you are just getting on a bit (like me) and have forgotten some of it.”

-- Darren P., review on DriveThruRPG

Link: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307504/The-Duel-at-Dangerford?affiliate_id=392988

Edited by Nick Brooke
More 5-star ratings!

Alright, I just finished a massive backlog of Glorantha based reading.  I popped into this thread to say that I LOVED this one in particular.  The writing style, the Cinniatus at the bridge concept, and the fun, almost-but-not-quite irreverent writing style -- all great.   All Glorantha.

This is obviously a super fun night of adventure waiting to happen, and it was also a super fun read.  Well done!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dissolv said:

Alright, I just finished a massive backlog of Glorantha based reading.  I popped into this thread to say that I LOVED this one in particular.  The writing style, the Cinniatus at the bridge concept, and the fun, almost-but-not-quite irreverent writing style -- all great.   All Glorantha.

This is obviously a super fun night of adventure waiting to happen, and it was also a super fun read.  Well done!

Thank you ever so much for saying so, @Dissolv. Please consider leaving a star rating and possibly even a short review* over at DriveThruRPG, to help other potential customers make up their minds.

I really appreciate your feedback, and I’m delighted you liked my writing style so much - my next scenario will be in much the same vein (the Glorantha-ness, the epic Hero Wars sweep, and of course the irreverent fun).

Because I liked your comment so much, you can have your very own Nick Brooke footnote, which follows.

* which doesn’t have to say much more than this.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:23 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Review roundup: my scenario The Duel at Dangerford currently has thirteen 5-star top ratings on DriveThruRPG! It was the #1 Hottest Community Content across all systems, settings and publishers for a week after release, and rose to 6th Bestselling Title on the world's largest RPG download store. I'll let the RuneQuest Glorantha fans speak for themselves:

OK then...  Great sales pitch.  Bought it.  Looking forward to reading it.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
It's been out for two months today: let's plug my Silver best-selling RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha scenario, The Duel at Dangerford, one more time.
  • Seventeen  ratings from reviewers on DriveThruRPG!
  • Controversial footnotes about Ducks!
  • Epic verse to entertain and amuse your discerning players!
If this title becomes an Electrum best-seller, I'll make a video of me declaiming my doggerel Macaulay pastiche to share on social media.
(That's a promise, not a threat, in case you were wondering)
So what are you waiting for? Get in there!

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Out now in Print & PDF: The Duel at Dangerford

By popular demand, The Duel at Dangerford is now available as a print-on-demand softcover: LINK.

The doggerel verse recitation I promised you above happened, and is on Facebook and Twitter.

130190317_790449451511782_813223284750626886_n.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Heads up: the print-on-demand version of The Duel at Dangerford will be withdrawn from sale on 1 March 2021, because that's when DriveThruRPG's printers stop making saddle-stitched books. 

While I might get it back into print as a perfect-bound book eventually, nothing in this world is certain. (Also, DriveThru haven't yet updated their systems to handle perfect-bound premium colour books with less than 49 pages).

So if you've been waiting to buy a printed copy and haven't yet got around to it, you've got almost six weeks.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Out now in Print & PDF: The Duel at Dangerford

The perfect-bound print edition of The Duel at Dangerford is now available. My book came out exactly a year ago, and is on the brink of getting its Gold best-seller medal, so I'm offering 20 print copies at a discount ($6.95, down from $9.95) over in the RuneQuest Facebook group.

GOLD BONUS CONTENT: to celebrate its Gold best-seller medal, I've added a new file to the downloads included with the digital edition of The Duel at Dangerford -- a sneak preview of Act One of its kinda sorta sequel, Black Spear. Coming this summer to the Jonstown Compendium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

DANGERFORD DELUXE! The print edition of The Duel at Dangerford has been upgraded to include seven pages of original artwork by Hirotsugu Kaga of Clark & Company. Commissioned for the Japanese translation by Ashinoha, this is already a free bonus download for my digital customers - if you bought the previous print edition, forward your receipt to me (email in footer) and I'll send you the new artwork. It's on sale this month for just $5.95 (previously $8.95).

894540139_2022-05-1112_20_17.thumb.jpg.f5841c0d737b4c083142ec3850d3f938.jpg

• Like 4

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Platinum Best-Seller: The Duel at Dangerford