OK, I’ve just uploaded my new short RuneQuest scenario to the Jonstown Compendium:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307504/The-Duel-at-Dangerford?affiliate_id=392988

It's called The Duel at Dangerford. The scenario itself is a couple of dozen pages long, and since only gamemasters and confirmed non-combatants are ever likely to pick it up, I thought it’d be a good place to share some colourful ideas I came up with for The Smoking Ruin and The Dragon of Thunder Hills as appendices. Rated the "Hottest Community Content" on DriveThruRPG!

"This is wonderful. The absolute love for the setting hits you straight in the mouth." -- Michael Kirkbride, Concept Artist & Writer for Morrowind.

Cover.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
Update - blowing my own trumpet.
  • Like 10

I'm not the font of validation, but I mean go for it. I'm pretty sure it won't piss anyone off and you'll probably get some more interest as well.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Does that sound crazy? I think they’re neat ideas and worth sharing, I’m certainly not charging any more to add another dozen pages to a strictly virtual product...

I find your lack of capitalistic zeal...disturbing.

!i!

• Haha 3

A dozen more pages sounds rather substantive, IMO !   I'm never one to say "no" to more content, but I wonder:  does this extra stuff (for TSR & TDofTH) really relate to your new DaD product?

Maybe it really does (in which case nevermind the rest of this!) but.... might it make sense to cut this from DaD, then expand the idea of "extra/supplementary content for TSR &/or TDoTH" and make it into its own separate release under the JCompendium?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, g33k said:

Maybe it really does (in which case nevermind the rest of this!) but.... might it make sense to cut this from DaD, then expand the idea of "extra/supplementary content for TSR &/or TDoTH" and make it into its own separate release under the JCompendium?

It’s weird: I’d feel bad charging anything for this stuff (it’s kinda rambling and haphazard), but I’d feel bad giving it away for free (and possibly spoiler-ing bits of those excellent scenarios). Bundling my notes with something only GMs and non-RQ-players are ever likely to buy seemed the neatest solution. (Plus, of course, issuing cryptic warnings via social media channels)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nick Brooke said:

It’s weird: I’d feel bad charging anything for this stuff (it’s kinda rambling and haphazard), but I’d feel bad giving it away for free (and possibly spoiler-ing bits of those excellent scenarios). Bundling my notes with something only GMs and non-RQ-players are ever likely to buy seemed the neatest solution. (Plus, of course, issuing cryptic warnings via social media channels)

Oh.

Well, if it's weird, man... I can't help ya.  I don' ha' no truck wi' tha' thir "weird" stuffs.  It's all my players' doin', honest!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

This is quite germane to our (well in honesty... my vote, I will let my compatriots speak for themselves though I suspect similar reasons) decision to put an  otherwise perfectly fine little podcast out for free.

Down with capitalism, comrade Nick!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Does that sound crazy? I think they’re neat ideas and worth sharing

Not crazy! I like neat ideas.... 

3 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Bundling my notes with something only GMs and non-RQ-players are ever likely to buy seemed the neatest solution.

Seems like a good plan. There's definitely an audience for items that help GM's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you considered asking other JC authors if they're doing anything for which those extra pages might be a useful addition?  Or even just more appropriate (i.e., clearly GM material)

Edited by Shiningbrow

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Have you considered asking other JC authors if they're doing anything for which those extra pages might be a useful addition?  Or even just more appropriate (i.e., clearly GM material)

I like to think that a RuneQuest scenario is “clearly GM material.”

I’m delighted of course if anyone wants to leverage any of my stuff, but I need to get it out there first. 

How about you put it out as a freebie on jonstown for GM's as a promo to draw attention to your per pay products? 

24 minutes ago, Thaz said:

How about you put it out as a freebie on jonstown for GM's as a promo to draw attention to your per pay products? 

Brilliant idea. You go first.

1 minute ago, Thaz said:

Huzzah for everyone. Love the cover art by the way 🙂

Public domain artwork FTW! This is Horatius Cocles Defending the Bridge, painted by Charles Le Brun in 1642 (ish). It's kinda-sorta relevant to the scenario.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

I’ve just uploaded my new short RuneQuest scenario

I got so excited I almost ordered two pdf:s. :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Puckohue said:

I got so excited I almost ordered two pdf:s. :)

I approve this plan. Keep one in the shrink, and use the other one for gaming.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Public domain artwork FTW! This is Horatius Cocles Defending the Bridge, painted by Charles Le Brun in 1642 (ish). It's kinda-sorta relevant to the scenario.

Really? It looks quite modern, almost cartoonish. Did you put it through any filters? Actually, just checked and it looks as though you didn't.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Really? It looks quite modern, almost cartoonish. Did you put it through any filters? Actually, just checked and it looks as though you didn't.

Wikimedia FTW.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Le_Brun,_Charles_-_Horatius_Cocles_defending_the_Bridge_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke

I love how Prince Orontes makes a brilliant return to the spotlight. That may be worth forgetting about my plans to have him sent to Refuge in 1620, along with five Yanafali rune lord guards, earning the name of Prince Kitty-Cat while presiding over a lot of bad things, including the Wind Stop.

Great job on the poetry, as usual.

Also thank you very much for providing the rumors about Moirades still having a hand in the affairs of Tarsh. Much appreciated.

Now how would you suggest to play this if in your game Fazzur's betrayal occurred on the evening before the Battle against Kallyr in 1625, as per canon?

• Like 1

I enjoyed the read, and I’m glad you decided to publish your notes from the smoking ruins.

It’s a good thing the preview includes the introduction where the premise is described: an alternate timeline for the Battle of Dangerford and Battle of the Queens. As the scenario plays out during the alternative Battle of Dangerford the premise is not unimportant.

My campaign has already played through the Battle of Dangerford and I was planning for a Battle of the Queens in Fire Season, after the Smoking Ruins in Sea Season. I’ll have to see what I can actually use from this publication. The duelling scene is hilarious so I will have to make room for it.

As I’m planning for The Smoking Ruins the notes were very helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Now how would you suggest to play this if in your game Fazzur's betrayal occurred on the evening before the Battle against Kallyr in 1625, as per canon?

(shrug)

That's not how it happened in my campaign. I don't really have the bandwidth for hypotheticals.

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Thank you very much for providing the rumors about Moirades still having a hand in the affairs of Tarsh. Much appreciated.

That nonsense always did made me laugh. I needed a Big Secret for the defector to leak, and now I spend my spare time wondering how long it'll be until our heroes infiltrate the sinister ghost palace on the Dark Side of the Moon to take down the shadowy necromancer-lord behind Lunar Tarsh.

• Like 1