Just how expansive will the Gods Of Glorantha guide be?

redmoongoddess

19 minutes ago, Redmoongodess said:

Is it going to cover every major culture in Glorantha? Only (ugh) ones found in Sartar? Or literally every single cult there is?

No, no, and no. 🙂

It will cover the major pantheons: Dark, Water, Earth, Fire, Storm, and Moon (plus Spirit cults and Chaos). Approximately 100 cults, I believe. Plenty to use from Maniria to Prax, the Holy Country through the Lunar Empire, and a bit of the seas. 

Edited by jajagappa

1 minute ago, g33k said:

Central Genertela, human centric. 

It's got the gods of Darkness for trolls, it's got Aldrya and her kin for elves, it's got sea deities for some of the merfolk, it's got Mostal for the dwarfs.  And, of course, some Chaos as well! So goes beyond just "human".

13 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

It's got the gods of Darkness for trolls, it's got Aldrya and her kin for elves, it's got sea deities for some of the merfolk, it's got Mostal for the dwarfs.  And, of course, some Chaos as well! So goes beyond just "human".

IIRC, coverage of the Elder Race's deities is uneven.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

IIRC, coverage of the Elder Race's deities is uneven.

But adequate for the major races. Enough that if you wanted to have Aldryami PCs you could, for example. A bit light on Mostali, but that’s natural. Very solid for trolls. 

There is basically everything you need for Central Genertela. The Orlanthi pantheons in detail, both Earth and Storm. The Darkness pantheon including major troll gods, and what you need for Kitori, Shadow plateau, etc. The major Lunar and Solar pantheons, enough to run a campaign in Peloria/Dara Happa if you needed, certainly for the provinces - more info about the Lunars than we have ever had. The major Praxian gods. The other major areas of Kethaela, like the gods of Caladraland. The Sea/Water pantheon isn’t fully complete, but everything you need for adventures that include the sea and islands of Kethaela. A few important foreign gods that are important to the story of Dragon Pass - like Ygg, who though native to Fronela is an important god of the Wolf Pirates. A very solid selection of 

The coverage of shamanism feels quite superficial to me. There are a few spirit cults, and the major religions that have shaman-priests are included, but very little that seems to broaden beyond that. 
You get a handful of pages about Illumination/mysticism, more than we had before but just scratching the surface - probably all you need for central Genertela for now though.

What it doesn’t cover:

pantheons from outside central Genertela, except where it is covered by ‘God Learner’ mention of foreign cognates. So don’t expect much about Kralorela, Teshnos, Pamaltela, East Isles, etc. or the native religions of the West.

Sorcery - there are a few spells here and there in the descriptions of gods that also use sorcery, like Irripi Ontor. But no descriptions of the major sorcerous sects, Malkionism, etc.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davecake said:

pantheons from outside central Genertela, except where it is covered by ‘God Learner’ mention of foreign cognates. So don’t expect much about Kralorela, Teshnos, Pamaltela, East Isles, etc. or the native religions of the West.

That is very disappointing, honestly, I wonder if at this point we will ever see any of those pantheons be fleshed out like they deserve to be...it really feels like the guys at chaosium are only interested in Orlanthi and the areas around them at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Redmoongodess said:

That is very disappointing, honestly, I wonder if at this point we will ever see any of those pantheons be fleshed out like they deserve to be...it really feels like the guys at chaosium are only interested in Orlanthi and the areas around them at this point.

There are books in the works for the east, west, and south. The reason we're seeing so much for the north central region is because that's what we have the most material on - much of the stuff for other areas has to be pieced together from limited notes or straight up created on the spot. It doesn't help that the team doing Glorantha stuff is extremely small and involved in multiple projects at once, so there's not many resources to go around. It's a little frustration that we have to wait, but we know that it is coming at least. And just think, if they did include all the other regions' pantheons in the book it'd end up a three or four volume set, and many of the cults would be useless without write-ups of the cultures they belong to.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

... and many of the cults would be useless without write-ups of the cultures they belong to.

IIRC, Jeff has stated that pantheons will come with their respective sourcebooks.  Robin's new P & BR books will presumably cover the Cult of Pavis... likely Zola Fel, too.

And so forth...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, Redmoongodess said:

It has over a hundred cults in 2 volumes, so it quite extensive.

I am sure that other pantheons will be covered in subsequent supplements.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

There are books in the works for the east, west, and south. The reason we're seeing so much for the north central region is because that's what we have the most material on - much of the stuff for other areas has to be pieced together from limited notes or straight up created on the spot.

Also, from conversations with Jeff at conventions, Chaosium sells far more supplements based around Sartar and Prax than anywhere else, by a long, long way, or at least they used to. It makes sense to concentrate on those areas that people are interested in.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

2 hours ago, g33k said:

IIRC, Jeff has stated that pantheons will come with their respective sourcebooks.  Robin's new P & BR books will presumably cover the Cult of Pavis... likely Zola Fel, too.

And so forth...

Yes, I've written the cults of Pavis, Fintnail, and Zola Fel for RQG. But they will appear in the Pavis & Big Rubble materials, where they belong. I also have written cults of the Bloody Tusk, Daruda, Seseine, Glamour, Geo, loads of material on the Draconic religion, and the beginnings of an Invisible God chapter. But those will all appear in other books.

This book covers Dragon Pass, Kethaela, Prax, and Peloria in great detail. From here you can work out the contours of much of the rest of Glorantha. Other than gods of the East Isles, Godunya, Path of Immanent Mastery, and Tskanth, I believe that every cult that was in the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha book is here. Long form. Like Cults of Prax or Cults of Terror. 

Plus so much more - Asrelia, Barntar, Caladra & Aurelion, Choralinthor, Danfive Xaron, Dayzatar, Deezola, Hon-eel, Oslira, Polaris, Shargash, Yara Aranis, Ygg, and so much more. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Jeff said:

Yes, I've written the cults of Pavis, Fintnail, and Zola Fel for RQG. But they will appear in the Pavis & Big Rubble materials, where they belong. I also have written cults of the Bloody Tusk, Daruda, Seseine, Glamour, Geo, loads of material on the Draconic religion, and the beginnings of an Invisible God chapter. But those will all appear in other books.

This book covers Dragon Pass, Kethaela, Prax, and Peloria in great detail. From here you can work out the contours of much of the rest of Glorantha. Other than gods of the East Isles, Godunya, Path of Immanent Mastery, and Tskanth, I believe that every cult that was in the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha book is here. Long form. Like Cults of Prax or Cults of Terror. 

Plus so much more - Asrelia, Barntar, Caladra & Aurelion, Choralinthor, Danfive Xaron, Dayzatar, Deezola, Hon-eel, Oslira, Polaris, Shargash, Yara Aranis, Ygg, and so much more. 

There's approximately one hundred cults in this book.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JustAnotherVingan said:

I much prefer the approach being taken this time than that in RQ3.

A deep lake rather than a shallow sea.

Ideally everywhere will get covered in time but in RQ3 I always felt I only got enough info to whet my appetite, not enough to actually run a game in most of the regions outside central Genertela.

In my opinion and Greg's, there was not enough detail in the RQ3 cults book to run a game in central Genertela, let alone anywhere else.

• Like 3

There was a draft version of the books available at Gen Con 2019, since then there's been a lot more work done on them. If you were at Dragonmeet or at one of the London meetups, you could read through the latest drafts. The Table of Contents are not a good guide to the number of cults as some are contained within others:

3vols.thumb.jpg.c916e2dc94f8b2aa15d543e0ea562a97.jpg

3CoT.thumb.jpg.4a50e944210237a77a2a3a783524188e.jpg

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JustAnotherVingan said:

Ideally everywhere will get covered in time but in RQ3 I always felt I only got enough info to whet my appetite, not enough to actually run a game in most of the regions outside central Genertela.

I'd say the new Cults Book is a deep ocean. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Redmoongodess said:

Is it going to cover every major culture in Glorantha? Only (ugh) ones found in Sartar? Or literally every single cult there is?

It covers the contours of the monomyth and the new Lunar religion. Plus a number of local cults of interest to the core lands of Kethaela, Prax, Dragon Pass, and Maniria.

The two perspectives it does not cover is Malkioni humanism (which really needed its own book), and the draconic religion (and its influences), plus purely local cults outside of the core lands.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JustAnotherVingan said:

This is a deep sea.

Seriously, this is like the RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, but with more cults and a full writeup of each one.

28 minutes ago, Jeff said:

I'd say the new Cults Book is a deep ocean. 

Yes.

32 minutes ago, Jeff said:

It depends on how you count what a cult is. If you count spirit cults it is way over one hundred. 

We count them, way over a hundred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Ompalam, Wachaza, Lamsabi, Selarn any chance of those

But more interesting: when...

41 minutes ago, hkokko said:

Ompalam, Wachaza, Lamsabi, Selarn any chance of those

But more interesting: when...

Wachaza is in the Cults Book. Ompalam, Lamsabi, and Selarn are local cults outside of the core homelands. I have an Ompalam cult writeup already though.

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2