Yellow Bear?

Martin

Yellow Bear is a pretty big deal in the unpublished "Damiliolad" that revolves around the House Of Damol / Damil. Child of the Androgyne, lives in a place called "Pent," embedded in Blue Moon lore if I recall correctly. Active early Dawn Age. Might be a different Yellow Bear from the one who interacts with Jonat later. 

singer sing me a given

5 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Might be a different Yellow Bear from the one who interacts with Jonat later.

Given that all of Androgeus' children supposedly brought misery where they went, I suspect they likely all wandered across Glorantha and are the same.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Curious what the Hsunchen language spoken by the Rathori of Yellow Bear Hills would be?

Would it be understood partly at a percentage in surrounding areas such as Jonatela?

Would the Hsunchen Yellow Bear dialect be partly understood by other Bear Hsunchens (are there others) around Glorantha such as the case with the Basmoli language having changed but still partly understood in far reaching areas? Ralios and Prax Basmoli could understand one another whereas the Basmoli in more civilized areas of Ralios have given up their language for the more civilized tongues.

Reading this in Glorantha Genertela Crucible of the Hero Wars p.34

So what languages does Harrek speak? Rathori Hsunchen, New Pelorian, Caremnian, Trade Talk, possibly Theyalan?

image.png.e224ccc52b79ab24b3b674db7288ff40.png

image.png.6d194f4fd9ba724dacb52452864833b8.png

• Helpful 1

The bear people of the Yellow Bear Hills seem to have taken on Lightbringer Ways and stopped being Hsunchen. Their beast totem language quite likely was reduced to a few idiomatic expressions in Jonating dialects.

Agriculture seems to have been brought in by King Drona(r) and his boar companion. Unlike the bull people to their east and their west, bear people never were pastoralist hill barbarians. Still there is a bear belt permeating the bull belt, extending from Sylila via Arir to Jonatela and then north into Rathorela.

Bears are among the least gregarious totem beasts and don't really give a totemic reason to form tribes, but they will congregate at seasonal fishing or harvesting hotspots reducing their individual solitude radius.

Harrek is likely to have become rather polyglot. I would add Yggite (from the Storm family), Fonritian, possibly Suvarian (as internal command language among theDarjiinian Dart Competition teams), and possibly some more smatterings picked up during his circumnavigation.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

15 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

So what languages does Harrek speak? Rathori Hsunchen, New Pelorian, Caremnian, Trade Talk, possibly Theyalan?

I think Joerg's note makes sense. 

Rathori - yes. New Pelorian - yes. Tradetalk - yes. Yggite - yes.

From Pamaltela, I think it would not be Fonritian but Banamban and that is spoken most by those of Laskal (where Harrek founds his White Bear Empire). Guide p.550.

Given that many Wolf Pirates came from Holy Country region and he has extended time with Argrath during circumnavigation, a Theyalan creole seems likely.

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 9:53 AM, Joerg said:

The bear people of the Yellow Bear Hills seem to have taken on Lightbringer Ways and stopped being Hsunchen.

So might we say the Rathori of Yellow Bear Hills speak Jonating with some influence of the their old Hsunchen Yellow Bear dialect?

Curious if we would see any Theyalan language influences mixed in from areas east of those regions speaking Jonating or is the main Jonating language a dialect of Theyalan?

(We might just say that is the case and give anyone from Yellow Bear Hills a 1/3 their standard Theyalan ability or something like that as it will be easier for the PC's to converse.)

Would we assume any conversation between Elves and Rathori would be in Trade Talk?

Edited by Erol of Backford