BRP Jorune

vagabond

Just having reread Companion:Ardoth - there is plenty of good Thriddle

conspiracy things that can be read into it.

The withholding of Tech caches from the Dharsage during the Energy Weapons

War.

Illegal Shirm-Eh trading at the advice of Thriddle during the Ramian plague,

leading to the Ramian invasion.

The warp flash itself.

Ian

Yes indeed.

How much do we know of the Thriddle involvement with the original Earth colonies?

Regarding Steve's comment in the rpg.net thread. What about the war with Thantier for Tan Iricid. How did the Thriddle conduct warfare? If they managed to defeat Thantier, that would be no mean feat. What do we know about this?

Did the Thriddle have a hand in ensuring the various earth colonies remained isolated for so many years?

Knowing how xenophobic humans can be I find it a little hard to believe yhayt the Dharsage hasn't become suspicious of the thriddle. Or perhaps they have but there is nothing they can do?

My greatest fear is that the Lamorri had a psychic mind control slavery rather then the traditional shackles and chains. Maybe even genetic manipulation to ensure obedience. If a Lamorri were to turn up, thriddle would become subservient and begin working for their masters again.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Yes indeed.

How much do we know of the Thriddle involvement with the original Earth colonies?

Regarding Steve's comment in the rpg.net thread. What about the war with Thantier for Tan Iricid. How did the Thriddle conduct warfare? If they managed to defeat Thantier, that would be no mean feat. What do we know about this?

Did the Thriddle have a hand in ensuring the various earth colonies remained isolated for so many years?

All good thoughts and things to run with for sure.

Knowing how xenophobic humans can be I find it a little hard to believe yhayt the Dharsage hasn't become suspicious of the thriddle. Or perhaps they have but there is nothing they can do?

Companion:Ardoth has some good insight here. Suspicion and mistrust

certainly exist. The Thriddle were, at one point, banished from Ardoth.

But, then the warp flash occurred, and the previously warp free Ardoth

was no longer warp free. So, the Dharsage caved in and allowed the

Thriddle to return in an effort to fix things. How odd the Thriddle knew

exactly what to do? Makes you wonder if they caused it in the first place ...

My greatest fear is that the Lamorri had a psychic mind control slavery rather then the traditional shackles and chains. Maybe even genetic manipulation to ensure obedience. If a Lamorri were to turn up, thriddle would become subservient and begin working for their masters again.

An interesting thought, and not a bad idea. I think it would require more

than just their presence though. Maybe some biotechnical device/implant?

But, as I mentioned before, you assume there are no Lamorri left on Jorune.

And, if there are some left, where do you think they might be? And how

would you think are they kept locked up ...

:)

Ian

I'm just reading up the PDf by Sholari James 'The Lamorri'. Not sure how canon this is but according to it, Lamorri still exist within their strogholds within essence amplifiers. Presumably, the machines for spawning their bodies also exist in their strongholds. Now, these are guarded under the eternal siege by the shanthas (shantas?) and access I'd prohibited to the Slave races. So where could these be?

Perhaps the 'holy burial grounds' which the colonists invaded some of these. Except the buried were not shanthas but Lamorri.

I would have thought maybe Ardoth, but the shanthas allowed the Humans to settle there.

The Thoosahs are also potential sites, including Tan Iricid. The thriddle led the attack on the sites and claimed that the lamorri had been hunted out, but as the Shantha learned some remained. Were the thriddle entirely honest then? By the way, the thriddle were also responsible for the Lamorri genetic plague. This puts into my mind the bio weapon used by the colonists against the Shanthas. Were the thriddle involved in that too?

Its all rather frustrating. Too many questions not enough straight answers. Sometimes I wish, I could thrash all this out in a video conference with Andrew Miles etc.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

• 1 month later...

OK, things have been pushed back due to family emergency. Nothing too serious (yet, we hope), but

something that we need to keep an eye on, and eats up my already limited free time. Hopefully the

delay won't be too bad - I just have to actually type things in and format a little bit.

Ian

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to say that I was able to really pick up things in earnest over the past couple of weeks, collating notes, expanding on thoughts, and organizing things. Hope to put things into a digestible format soon. I will put up docs on a chapter by chapter basis so that should one chapter get updated, there is no need to download the entire thing.

Chapter one will be chargen of the basic playable races - Humans, Boccord, Muadra, Bronth, Woffen, and Crugar. I will also include some basics for the remaining races so that NPCs can be rolled up. Basically, I will have stats, backgrounds and professions/vocations with associated skill lists.

Chapter two will be Skills and skill resolution. Brief descriptions of new skills specifically from Jorune, or old skills from BRP but adjusted to reflect reuse for Jorune.

Chapter three will focus on combat. It will include Combat Maneuvers (slightly altered), as this fits with Jorune's original combat system pretty well. Also included will be the beginnings of the Gloundan Shadow Warrior's Sis-Naun martial arts, as well as Thike Fighting. Jorune specific weapons will be covered.

Chapter four will be Isho, Moon skills (Color) and Dyshas, as well as Ebitra (Shanthic martial arts using Isho) and more detailed Sis-Naun (an interesting look at Isho use for non Dysha weavers). Current Dyshas will be reworked a liltle to reflect the modifications to BRP, as well as providing advice and a way to create new Dyshas. Isho skills will also be covered in more detail, as well as how the major playable races interact with it.

Chapter five will expand the non player races such that almost any race can be a PC (Shanthas are not intended to be PCS, but obviously, I cannot nor will not make that a "rule" - purely a matter of GM's discretion). There will be some "new"revelations regarding lineage and motives, as well as some new information regarding Isho interaction. Also, Lamorri will make an appearance.

Chapter six will be a bestiary - a port of Jorune creatures and a reworking of Recos.

That's all for now. Chapters may not be posted in the exact order, and may get reworked over time due to suggestions and testing. I hope to have chapters one, two and three posted soon, as they are the closes to completion. Chapter four and six will probably follow.

Cheers and Happy New Year's.

Ian

• 3 months later...

I'm curious if there's been much progress on Vagabond's conversion... Jorune's an old love of mine that I've had a resurgence of interest in lately.

To my mind the stickiest part is getting all the Isho-related aspects of the setting to feel right. Particularly the manipulation and use in combats.

Any news on this project Vagabond?

I'm curious if there's been much progress on Vagabond's conversion... Jorune's an old love of mine that I've had a resurgence of interest in lately.

To my mind the stickiest part is getting all the Isho-related aspects of the setting to feel right. Particularly the manipulation and use in combats.

Any news on this project Vagabond?

I haven't heard in a while although I've been popping in every now and then to check the downloads.

That reminds me I need to put my Colony Era charactersheet and Earth Tec weapon stats up at some point.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Oh! Those would be cool to see! I look forward to them.

PM me with your email address and I can send you what I have. Problem is that I have embedded artwork without permission and not credited it. I will strip it out before submitting for download. I only ask that you do not distribute these files anywhere.

Thanks.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Sorry I have not been around much recently. Some very big projects at work have deadlines coming up -- soon (one of them has to be in place by the last weekend of June, and the other two follow quickly in July - really techie geeky stuff involving database migration, virtual machines, ZFS, failover storage systems, and all new cluster hardware, .. but I digress).

Anyway, when the dust settles, and my 1 yo son starts sleeping better at night again, and now that my mother-in-law has bought a new house and no longer lives on our couch, I hope to be able to pick things up again. I have been typing things up a bit slowly (more slowly then I had hoped in Jan/Feb), so things are still progressing. Just too damn slowly, even for my likes ...

Ian

That's cool... real life takes precedent as always, but it's good to know you still have Jorune BRP on the brain.

I've been using some of the ideas I've seen here in our Saturday games... experimenting a bit with Jorune-style magic in a non-Jorune setting (that still resembles Jorune in the corners). I'm not sure how the kids feel about it... it seems less showy and mysterious/romantic compared to the stuff they've read in Harry Potter, etc.

That's cool... real life takes precedent as always, but it's good to know you still have Jorune BRP on the brain.

Jorune is one of a few things that constantly resides there ... I always wished I had found a copy when I had copious amounts of free time as opposed to a decade or so later ...

I've been using some of the ideas I've seen here in our Saturday games... experimenting a bit with Jorune-style magic in a non-Jorune setting (that still resembles Jorune in the corners). I'm not sure how the kids feel about it... it seems less showy and mysterious/romantic compared to the stuff they've read in Harry Potter, etc.

I think Jorune's less "magical" magic (so to speak) comes from (and can be rectified by addressing) two separate issues:

1) The Dyshas presented in the source aren't all that interesting at first glance. Or second, or even third. Part of my aim with my BRP port will be a system which will allow one to fairly easily create new Dyshas that are balanced with the ones already present, thus allowing people to use their imagination some more and perhaps move things into new a cool directions. I have some ideas to go along with this, so there will be the source Dyshas (though they may be reworked a little to make the build system more consistent and less complex) and some new and interesting ones - imagine a Muadra creating an "avatar" around himself using a set of colors that create various effects - a red fiery glow with heat damage and defense, a blocky dark brown body like Marvel's The Thing, etc. Kind of like applying the info from Shanthas of Jorune and the Eevids with some other ideas.

2) Making the weaving of Dyshas, the effects, the unweaving/interference, etc. more descriptive. Sure, you can roll the dice and have the player "weave" something, or you can describe the actual process more in depth ("Colored strands if Isho energy snake their way towards the Caji, like a multitude of bright, colorful serpents, coiling into a ball just in front of the weaver's body.")

Ian

One quick question for you Jorunis.

So, using the original descriptions, Bronth max out at 8 ft tall and 1000 lbs. Corastin max out at 3.5 m (or just inder 11.5 ft) and Croid max out at ~3m (9 ft 10 in). The only weight/mass values I have for Corastin and Croid come from the Sholari Pack where, IIRC, they were in the 600 lbs range. However, this same pack listed Bronth as bring on average 450 lbs. So, if I use some max stats, Bronth are quite massive (using SIZ as Mass), actually right up there with Croid and Corastin. But, the range will vary more for Bronth than Croid and Corastin.

Any thoughts ...

Ian

One quick question for you Jorunis.

So, using the original descriptions, Bronth max out at 8 ft tall and 1000 lbs. Corastin max out at 3.5 m (or just inder 11.5 ft) and Croid max out at ~3m (9 ft 10 in). The only weight/mass values I have for Corastin and Croid come from the Sholari Pack where, IIRC, they were in the 600 lbs range. However, this same pack listed Bronth as bring on average 450 lbs. So, if I use some max stats, Bronth are quite massive (using SIZ as Mass), actually right up there with Croid and Corastin. But, the range will vary more for Bronth than Croid and Corastin.

Any thoughts ...

Ian

Hmm interesting dilema. I don't know what your answer would be since it depends on the 'density' of the body in question. I'd try to work out SIZ both in Height and Weight and then apply a 'bodytype' multiplier to them. Anything from 0.25 to 1.75.

I expect insectoids to be lighter than reptiles. Mamals somwhere in between.

You might need a SIZ table like in SB1-4 with height/weight ranges for SIZ by bodytype.

Ultimately, use your instinct and rank them by how massive you think they are and apply figures accordingly. The info in the sholari pack may have been assembled from independent sources and may not be consistent.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

OK, third try with a reply ...

Hmm interesting dilema. I don't know what your answer would be since it depends on the 'density' of the body in question. I'd try to work out SIZ both in Height and Weight and then apply a 'bodytype' multiplier to them. Anything from 0.25 to 1.75.

My formula took rolled STR and listed weight/mass, and came up with a decent multiplier that presented a nice scale to give a comparison of relative body style/frames and weight/mass between races.

I expect insectoids to be lighter than reptiles. Mamals somwhere in between.

I fudged the formula a little to give Cleash a boost. Given their low rolled STR but relatively heavier listed weight/mass (probably due to their heavy chitin carapace). All in all, it came outt OK. Also note - Croid and Corastin are not exactly reptiles ... ;)

You might need a SIZ table like in SB1-4 with height/weight ranges for SIZ by bodytype.

I had originally considered this, but dumped it in favor of just using the broader scale/chart from the BRP book (actually, the ones posted here are a wee bit nicer).

Ultimately, use your instinct and rank them by how massive you think they are and apply figures accordingly. The info in the sholari pack may have been assembled from independent sources and may not be consistent.

Which is where I wound up. To whit, this is where things stand ...

Bronth roll 3d6+11 for an average of 21-22 (~375 lbs), max roll of 29 (~740 lbs), and a racial absolute max of 33 (~1000 lbs). Fits the given data from the material pretty well.

Corastin roll 2d6+18 for an average of 25 (~600 lbs), max roll of 30 (~800 lbs), and a racial absolute max of 33 (~1000 lbs).

Croid roll 2d6+20 for an average of 26 (~650 lbs), max roll of 31 (~850), and a racial absolute max of 34 (~1050 lbs).

Over all I think this works well, and coupled with higher STR rolls, all three get decent damage bonuses, with Corastin and Criod really packing a punch.

Ian

Ok. Been skimming the 2nd edition briefly and just have a few observations at moment.

Bronth. How do they stack up against Great Troills? I would put both more or less in same size strentgth bracket.

Croid. There is a picture on page 11 of the Tauther guide where a croid picks up a Cleash with no trouble and is about to rip it apart. Quite fiercesome! It looks to be 4 or 5 times the size of a cleash. Ie as in how many cleash you could fit in its skin. I can't think of a suitable equivalent from RQ. Maybe a small giant?

Corastin. I'd probably make them similar to Bronth in strength and size. That picture with the woman and corastin bodyguard. He stands head and shoulders over her, but she looks quite petite.

Cleash, maybe heavy for actual displacement, but have spindly legs and armes. Bodies are bulbous. Although tall, its all legs. Same with scarmis. Tall but spindley.

Sorry I can't be any more help with stats.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Ok. Been skimming the 2nd edition briefly and just have a few observations at moment.

Bronth. How do they stack up against Great Troills? I would put both more or less in same size strentgth bracket.

I figured Bronth would be closer to a regular bear, if not slightly smaller. The MRQ SRD has a Brown Bear with STR and SIZ 3d6+15. Polar Bears are listed as STR and SIZ 3d6+21. I think a Bronth would be similar to but smaller than a normal Brown Bear, which has a max rollable of 33 and racial max of 37. Considering adult brown bears range in size between 550 and 1700 lbs, I think things are a good fit for my Bronth SIZ.

I think a Great Troll with STR 4d6+12 and SIZ 4d6+12 (SIZ is too high - max rollable is 36 and racial max is 41 - way over the source's max of 1000 lbs).

Croid. There is a picture on page 11 of the Tauther guide where a croid picks up a Cleash with no trouble and is about to rip it apart. Quite fiercesome! It looks to be 4 or 5 times the size of a cleash. Ie as in how many cleash you could fit in its skin. I can't think of a suitable equivalent from RQ. Maybe a small giant?

A large Croid should be able to easily pick up a 325 lb Cleash. I think my numbers will suffice again. Picking up a Cleash would be an opposed STR (Croid) vs. SIZ (Cleash), and given a Cleash weighs around 325 lbs, that would put its SIZ around 20. I assure you, a Croid has a much higher STR :)

Corastin. I'd probably make them similar to Bronth in strength and size. That picture with the woman and corastin bodyguard. He stands head and shoulders over her, but she looks quite petite.

I agree pretty much, though again, the source states Bronth are 7 - 8 ft tall, while Corastin hit 10.5 ft. However, relative body frames would put Corastin in the same SIZ range overall, maybe a little higher.

Cleash, maybe heavy for actual displacement, but have spindly legs and armes. Bodies are bulbous. Although tall, its all legs. Same with scarmis. Tall but spindley.

Sorry I can't be any more help with stats.

No, it's helpful. For example, by making me pull up the MRQI info, I find this for a Giant Beetle - STR 2d6+12 and SIZ 3d6+6. Now, Cleash are stated to be pretty weak, but the Giant Beetle's SIZ is not too far off - average of 16-17, max rollable of 24, and racial max of 28. I'll have to look up what I may have already put in place. Could be close.

I think the main concept for me, and this is what I'll place in the docs, is that SIZ is more a representation of mass. To find the appriopriate height, use the rolled SIZ, and find an appropriate height by looking at SIZ chart, and looking at a SIZ value up to 3 points lower to 1 point hgher. For example, if the character/creature has a SIZ of 25, then an appropriate height would be anywhere in the range of SIZ 22 to SIZ 26. I'll play with the numbers to find an "official" fit.

Ian

Ian,

How about using SIZ for mass and STR for Height? My logic is that strength tends to be relative to size to a certain extent. ie you need to be strong enough to carry your body about. Not perfect but might be a better fit?

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Ian,

How about using SIZ for mass and STR for Height? My logic is that strength tends to be relative to size to a certain extent. ie you need to be strong enough to carry your body about. Not perfect but might be a better fit?

Nah - too many real world examples make it a bad fit - Shawn Bradley, ex-NBA. 7'6, 275 lb AFTER considerable weight training. He weighed 235 lbs as a rookie. No STR whatsoever :)

Really, SIZ should be relative to height and STR, which is what I tried to do with my formula. It comes from muscle mass, fat mass, and structural size. But, that is too tough to fit into dice ranges. Hence, take a listed SIZ (looking at mass/weight), and then allow for some deviation for height (to represent variety in frame).

Ian

Read all the beastiaries you can find.

Map / tweak existing beasties to Jorune Beasties.

The players will not know the difference. That is what I would do.

Oh, believe me - I pull from whatever resources I have handy - my vast Eternal Champion collection, Ringworld, RQI, MRQI SRDs, CoC, etc.

Ian