Jump to content
GeminniRed

Selene (Blue Moon Elemental)???

Recommended Posts

So I saw there stats in the bestiary but was  more confused on who had access to them?  I personally feel that Lunars wouldn't have access to them due to it being a separate Moon/Goddess entirely but it still begs the question who know/uses these elemental? 

 

Note:

I do know that these are from dead goddess who was killed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Annilla definitely has them.  Jakaleel probably has access to them as she has connections to the Blue Moon.  Artmal may have access to them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Artmal may have access to them.

You'd almost certainly see them popping up in Fonrit in some numbers should heroquesters manage to heal him and kick off the great revolt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GeminniRed said:

who had access to them

Starting with their source as many have identified - Annilla, Goddess of the Blue Moon. Her Runic associations are Moon, Darkness, and Water, which clearly explains her pantheon associations - Darkness, Lunar, & Sea.

For the Lunars she's the sister of the Red Moon. She's an associate cult of Jakaleel who is the shaman path for the lunars. As such there's no reason why her shaman cannot find selines after a difficult search (passing from the inner region of the moon to an outer region associated with Annilla).

She has the Red Goddess as an associate cult and Artmal. However these are rune cults and unlikely to have selene's. Only Annilla herself has the summon selene rune spell.

So overall only Annilla's cultists and Lunar shaman will have lunes, and any one else you want to further your story.

All this from the forthcoming Cults of Glorantha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just feels a bit underwhelming that there's an entire class of elementals only available to the worshippers of an extremely niche deity, afaik.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

It just feels a bit underwhelming that there's an entire class of elementals only available to the worshippers of an extremely niche deity, afaik.

The tidal powers have always been very strange, obscure and mysterious, though. They aren't Darkness, aren't Water, but this odd cyclical intersection that also merges into the Sky River and down Magasta's Pool. The groups that interacted with the Blue Moon are minimal: trolls on the Blue Moon Plateau, some Lunar shamans, likely secretive assassins in Fonrit, and folk in distant Zamokil.

But... now that the Closing has been broken and the Boat Planet once again sails the Sky River, who knows what might follow in its wake?

… a wizard in God Forgot finds an old God Learner scroll and tracing its logic learns a long forgotten Rune and unexpected spells

… strange slightly glowing and blue jelly-like creatures wash ashore with the tide upon the shore near Karse. They fade in the light of dawn, but before they do, a fisherman hears a strange whisper in the shadows of the water and starts to worship an unknown goddess

… a Praxian shaman rides the Boat Planet into the Sky and finds the eye of a powerful spirit floating in the river. The spirit overcomes him, and when they fall back to Earth, the spirit possesses his body and teaches his apprentices unexpected secrets...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The tidal powers have always been very strange, obscure and mysterious, though. They aren't Darkness, aren't Water, but this odd cyclical intersection that also merges into the Sky River and down Magasta's Pool. The groups that interacted with the Blue Moon are minimal: trolls on the Blue Moon Plateau, some Lunar shamans, likely secretive assassins in Fonrit, and folk in distant Zamokil.

You are missing the Loper people and their descendants in Teshnos, and probably countless coastal fisherfolk, whether Maslo or Kethaela, or the East Isles.

Then there are the Elder Giants, who trace their ancestry to Annilla.

As a goddess of secrets, it isn't that strange that her worship isn't that well known.

 

Summoning Lunar elementals is a lot harder than summoning the ones from the five elements, as you need moon rock (or some other moon substance?) to manifest them. The Blue Moon left some fall-out, most of it next to Thunder Delta, but there's also a significant chunk in Fronela. For the Red Moon, the stuff is rarer as its worshipers need to visit the body of their goddess and take some of that back down to where it came from (although the Crater Makers might be spreading some in their battles).

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joerg said:

You are missing the Loper people and their descendants in Teshnos, and probably countless coastal fisherfolk, whether Maslo or Kethaela, or the East Isles.

Then there are the Elder Giants, who trace their ancestry to Annilla.

As a goddess of secrets, it isn't that strange that her worship isn't that well known.

 

Summoning Lunar elementals is a lot harder than summoning the ones from the five elements, as you need moon rock (or some other moon substance?) to manifest them. The Blue Moon left some fall-out, most of it next to Thunder Delta, but there's also a significant chunk in Fronela. For the Red Moon, the stuff is rarer as its worshipers need to visit the body of their goddess and take some of that back down to where it came from (although the Crater Makers might be spreading some in their battles).

 

 

On a purely pragmatic basis, might the Crater Makers periodically call some down in a controlled environment, for example somewhere the Bat has just depopulated, to provide new resources?  Or would that be regarded as offending Sedenya for base profit, rather than sacred duty?

It goes without saying that RW religious leaders are never interested in wealth or worldly power.....:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

It just feels a bit underwhelming that there's an entire class of elementals only available to the worshippers of an extremely niche deity, afaik.

and anyone who knows a lunar shaman or an adventurous shaman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Scott said:

and anyone who knows a lunar shaman or an adventurous shaman.

Or a sorcerer with access to moonstone from the Blue Moon fallout and a rare spell. Or an artifact from a giant's cradle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given its associated with the moon and rising waters, it wouldn't surprise me if the Oasis of Moonbroth was related to the Blue Moon, and the waterspouts are related to the blue streak's pull on the tides.

There could be Selenes found there, along with blue moon stones, and the mysterious spirit who prophetises there may herself be a powerful intelligent Selene.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tindalos said:

Given its associated with the moon and rising waters, it wouldn't surprise me if the Oasis of Moonbroth was related to the Blue Moon, and the waterspouts are related to the blue streak's pull on the tides.

There could be Selenes found there, along with blue moon stones, and the mysterious spirit who prophetises there may herself be a powerful intelligent Selene.

The cycle of Moonbroth Oasis is (or has become?) that of the Red Moon, though, and not (or no longer?) the cycle of the tides.

Whether the cycle was different in earlier ages might be found in old travelogues. IIRC Labrygon (Lorenkargatan) may have visited before he came to Pavis in the EWF era.

If the cycle changed, that would have happened in 1247, without anyone literate likely to have been in the neighborhood of the oasis.

If the cycle was weekly before, why would anyone have tied that to the moon? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...