Announcing the Basic Roleplaying System Reference Document and Open Game License

MOB

3 minutes ago, ajtheronin said:

But that's not in the list of Prohibited Content, nor it is part of the trademark of any of the lines.Ā 

It is literary a mechanic (that I wouldn't even call Fate Points since that's the trademark of another game line)

Yep, and if you want add a mechanic like that you can.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

What kind of program would you use to make a project like this? Is Word sufficient? Also, are you supposed to take the SRD and edit it, or is it just the guidelines? Finally, is it acceptable to add your own art work to the product?

The SRD document is not meant to be a layout template. You are welcome to use any software like MS Word, Pages, Quark, or InDesign that you want for layout.

Any products you produce are free to include as much of your own artwork as you want.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints -Ā Chaosium, Inc.

5 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

The SRD document is not meant to be a layout template. You are welcome to use any software like MS Word, Pages, Quark, or InDesign that you want for layout.

Any products you produce are free to include as much of your own artwork as you want.

Alright, thanks. I was just confused weather you had to write up all the material yourself, or if you were supposed to include the document within the product.

2 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Alright, thanks. I was just confused weather you had to write up all the material yourself, or if you were supposed to include the document within the product.

You need to include the license material. Beyond that, you can make what use you want with the OGL material - ie, create derivative works of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Archivist said:

Just curious. CoC 7e doesn't use a resistance table, but I see that in the SRD. Why is that? Is CoC 7e a different thing?

The Basic Roleplaying system does not specifically match directly to the RuneQuest rules, nor does it to the CoC 7e rules. It is a hybrid.

Hope that Helps,

1 minute ago, Greg said:

Will you be opening an errata thread?

For instance, "Technical Skill" in the skill list is missing a bullet.

We kindly ask that you do not refer to simple formatting issues or typos as "errata". Regardless, you are welcome to point out these things so they can be corrected over time.

Hope that Helps,

2 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

We kindly ask that you do not refer to simple formatting issues or typos as "errata". Regardless, you are welcome to point out these things so they can be corrected over time.

Sorry, Rick. You are correct of course.Ā 

4 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You need to include the license material. Beyond that, you can make what use you want with the OGL material - ie, create derivative works of it.

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to hear. I already have a lore book started so I will just need to add the license and the basic mechanics than I will be golden.

Absolute final question, do we need to totally make up new magic and power systems or is it okay to use and expand upon the ones in the Big Golden Book?

3 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to hear. I already have a lore book started so I will just need to add the license and the basic mechanics than I will be golden.

Absolute final question, do we need to totally make up new magic and power systems or is it okay to use and expand upon the ones in the Big Golden Book?

Just don't use what is listed as Prohibited Content - so don't repackage the RQG magic system for example. If you want to play around with the ideas in the BGB, go forward!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Just don't use what is listed as Prohibited Content - so don't repackage the RQG magic system for example. If you want to play around with the ideas in the BGB, go forward!

Okay, I will just make sure everything in The Nightland is public domain and I will be set. Thanks for all the help!Ā :)

• Like 2

Things that I would do if I had the time and resources:
Ā 

• The Basic Roleplaying Catalog of Weapons, Armors and Vehicles
  • The Basic Roleplying Catalog of Monsters and Critters
  • The Basic Roleplaying Catalog of Warlords, Bosses and Henchmen
  • The Basic Roleplaying Catalog of Skills and Eras

:D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Man Henerson said:

Okay, I will just make sure everything in The Nightland is public domain and I will be set. Thanks for all the help!Ā :)

There is stock art you can buy to include in your products, such as over on DriveThruRPG.Ā  Check the details of course, but a bunch of stuff is on sale at the moment.Ā 

For example: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3865/Fat-Goblin-Games

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORtrail said:

There is stock art you can buy to include in your products, such as over on DriveThruRPG.Ā  Check the details of course, but a bunch of stuff is on sale at the moment.Ā 

For example: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/3865/Fat-Goblin-Games

I don't see any of the art available for purchasing, but I never knew that I wanted to play a Super Mario Bros RPG.Ā Super Smash Bros Assemble! :DĀ 

Edited by Old Man Henerson
  • Haha 1