The Corn Dolls: Sandheart Volume 2 on DriveThruRPG

Incendiary Pig

Congratulations, Jonathan: your scenario is currently the #1 hottest community content (fan-made publication) on DriveThruRPG, across all systems, settings and publishers. (And RuneQuest scenarios have all the medal positions)

Sandheart #1.png

• Like 2

11 hours ago, g33k said:

The Sun will purify him.

Some Yelmalians scrape their skin with a razor to clean themselves, others use dust baths and others stand bare in the sun to be cleansed.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I have a few questions about this scenario. I already bought it but I don't know when I'll have time to actually read it with the following in mind.

I'm running the Borderlands campaign, set in 1615. The adventurers are all Sartarite exiles working as mercenaries for Duke Raus. They are initiates of Orlanth, Ernalda, Odayla, and Yinkin.

1. Could this scenario, as it is, be played with these four adventurers hired out from Duke Raus as Sandheart militia auxiliaries, or is it necessary to include at least one sun worshipper?
  2. Is the scenario possible to run in 1615 as it is?
  • Like 1

@Puckohue I would say yes to the second question. The second one is slightly trickier as the Sun Dome would probably be reticent to let auxiliaries deal with an internal problem, especially one involving a problem of purity. And access to the information in the Sun Dome temple library would also be difficult. But it can be done I think, the Sandheart setting is conceived to allow for a more open view of outsiders. Find an excuse for the absence of the militia (maybe there are involved in the first Sandheart scenario?), let the "Lunar" head of stead of the scenario write to Duke Raus for help as an old friend and move the information conserved in the SD temple to the Ernalda temple in the district capital? 

For a more difficult approach, duke Raus may have bought diseased barley from the SD and want to investigate, him or 

Muriah is involed as a rival of the Mallia priest of Sanhheart scenario

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Some get a rinse now and the because they can also Never Seek Shelter from Storm.

The ones who don't scrape, dust, sunbathe or shower in the rain buy loads of perfume.

Light Sons, however, must buy manly perfume, otherwise they would be disguising themselves as women, which they can't do.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 hours ago, Minlister said:

@Puckohue I would say yes to the second question. The second one is slightly trickier as the Sun Dome would probably be reticent to let auxiliaries deal with an internal problem, especially one involving a problem of purity. And access to the information in the Sun Dome temple library would also be difficult. But it can be done I think, the Sandheart setting is conceived to allow for a more open view of outsiders. Find an excuse for the absence of the militia (maybe there are involved in the first Sandheart scenario?), let the "Lunar" head of stead of the scenario write to Duke Raus for help as an old friend and move the information conserved in the SD temple to the Ernalda temple in the district capital? 

For a more difficult approach, duke Raus may have bought diseased barley from the SD and want to investigate, him or 

Reveal hidden contents

Muriah is involed as a rival of the Mallia priest of Sanhheart scenario

I was going to ask exactly the same question as Puckohue, so thanks for that. I also thought of that villain to connect it to Ronegarth. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 minute ago, Akhôrahil said:

Amulets shaped like little pine-trees...

Don't use those, they are part of the Aldryami reforestation conspiracy. And in Prax, that means Redwood trees springing to adult size over night...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

38 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Don't use those, they are part of the Aldryami reforestation conspiracy. And in Prax, that means Redwood trees springing to adult size over night...

Well DAMN.

The elves have really pulled one over on the dwarves...

I see those tree-amulets inside a BUNCH of those moss-tally contraptions!

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/2/2020 at 7:46 PM, Minlister said:

Congratulations, Jonathan, this is certainly one of the best scenario I ever read and extremely well presented, very clear and "ergonomic". Keep it coming, I am converting to Yelmalio!

Hey Minlister, Thank you so much for the comment. Apologies for the delay in responding but I have been busy with my day job over the last week or so and have only just checked the forum. I sit at home and beavered away at this scenario not knowing if it would work or not. It means a lot when someone says something supportive. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:02 AM, Puckohue said:

I have a few questions about this scenario. I already bought it but I don't know when I'll have time to actually read it with the following in mind.

I'm running the Borderlands campaign, set in 1615. The adventurers are all Sartarite exiles working as mercenaries for Duke Raus. They are initiates of Orlanth, Ernalda, Odayla, and Yinkin.

1. Could this scenario, as it is, be played with these four adventurers hired out from Duke Raus as Sandheart militia auxiliaries, or is it necessary to include at least one sun worshipper?
  2. Is the scenario possible to run in 1615 as it is?

Hi Puckohoe, apologies for the delay in response. You could certainly run it whenever you like. Minlister came up with some good ideas.

You could run it using Raus mercenaries if there was  some friendship between Raus and the Sandheart officials in the first place. Or you could use Antiochus (a character in the adventure) as a way in. If he is good friends with Raus and asks for help from the outside world  (perhaps the actual Sandheart militia already asked questions and found nothing?) he can then be the initial catalyst. 

You dont need a Yelmalian character but it helps to have one solar worshipper for the final 'ceremony'.  You could always alter the ceremony to suit your characters or make sure they meet, Yellow Foot, another NPC in the scenario who can play that role.

Hope this helps and happy to discuss further.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Jon Webb {@Incendiary Pig)'s Sandheart is one of the outstanding entries in the Chaosium's Jonstown Compendium community content store: a sandbox campaign framework for police procedural investigations on the fringes of Sun County, the xenophobic Uptight Spartans in the Wild West setting with which Ken Rolston and Michael O’Brien launched the RuneQuest Renaissance of the early 1990s.
Because I like what he's doing so much (hey! it's old school!), I reworked his B&W Sandheart campaign map, and the detailed map of Cliffheath from The Corn Dolls (not shown), into full-colour versions, which have just been added to your Library if you bought the books via DriveThruRPG.

Sandheart (Tales of the Sun County Militia).png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, soltakss said:

Some Yelmalians scrape their skin with a razor to clean themselves, others use dust baths and others stand bare in the sun to be cleansed.

Yet other ones are licked clean by their cows.

Thats a nice map, what have you used to make it?

Edited by Borygon
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:36 PM, Borygon said:

Thats a nice map, what have you used to make it?

I used a cheap ($29.99) mapmaking program called Wonderdraft for the basics, and finished off the cliff edges by hand in Photoshop (also adding the caption at lower left). Here's the Wonderdraft website: https://www.wonderdraft.net/  

Here's where people are talking about it and sharing their work (if you filter for "Top Posts," you will see many beautiful things): https://www.reddit.com/r/wonderdraft/ 

And this website has a bunch of cartography assets (map symbols, etc.): https://www.cartographyassets.com/ -- be careful what you use, in case the licensing terms for the symbols you're using don't allow you to sell maps that include them on the Jonstown Compendium.

There's a distinct shortage of Gloranthan symbols (e.g: Bronze Age walled cities, stockades, temples, etc.), and I have a side project underway to fix that, but in the mean time do what you can! If you want top tips on starting out with Wonderdraft (e.g: a walkthrough of how I made that map), just ask!

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Coming shortly to the Jonstown Compendium: Sandheart Volume Two: The Corn Dolls - remastered edition.

Now 110 pages long and lavishly illustrated throughout by Mark Baldwin, Dario Corallo, Katrin Dirim and the Beer With Teeth collective, with cartography by Ludovic Chabant. The last 30 pages hold Fortunate Sun, a scenario by Sun County author Michael O'Brien.

This book has been produced to the same high standards as the other recent Sandheart releases and our files are "print-ready," so we hope hardcovers will become available in a month or so. It will (of course) be a free upgrade to all previous purchasers.

Threesheep@0.25x.png

• Like 6

Sandheart Volume Two REMASTERED: The Corn Dolls & Fortunate Sun is now available on the Jonstown Compendium: two detailed RuneQuest scenarios set in Sun County, Prax.

This 109-page digital download contains a revised and lavishly illustrated version of the original Corn Dolls scenario by Jonathan Webb, plus a new 30-page scenario by Michael O'Brien & Brian Hebert, Fortunate Sun. If you bought the original 45-page The Corn Dolls, this is a free upgrade: you can find it by logging on to DriveThruRPG and visiting the product page or checking your library. There is a separate file of 300 DPI high-quality printable handouts.

Both scenarios are illustrated by Mark Baldwin, Dario Corallo and Katrin Dirim, with cartography by Ludovic Chabant and settlement views by Kris Herbert. Cover painting by Jacob Webb; layout by Nick Brooke.

We are preparing the files for print on demand, but that's still at least a month away. Sandheart Volumes One & Three are already available in premium colour hardcover editions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Print on Demand update: the print files for The Corn Dolls & Fortunate Sun: Sandheart Volume Two have passed all quality checks at DriveThruRPG and Lightning Source. Next, a printer's proof copy of the book will be produced and mailed to me for checking. Watch this space.

• Like 1