Astounding Adventures - Perils of Sumatra report

Loïc

Hi! Just before the confinement decision (I live in France), I was planning to run CoC Camp Sunny at my gaming club. Disease, containment... game session canceled...

Some of my club's fellows proposed to run RPGs through the website Roll20. So I joined two game sessions as a PC (Star Trek NG and Te Deum pour un massacre). I do prefer "real" tabletop RPG, but we all must find activities to support this confinement... So I decided to gamemaster something. I refused to run CoC, because I think it would miss too much atmosphere.

Then I made my choice on Astounding Adventures - Perils of Sumatra (1st scenario of the book). And I had great time ! We went through Roll20, but I didn't create battlemaps (I'm not found of battlemaps, even as a player). I used the function "create a map" just to illustrate the scenes and NPC of the story. For each scene of the scenario, I had about 6 or 8 illustrations. A few 1930s pics collected from google images (padang aerial pic, Alameda docks...), and mainly some 1930s/1950s pulp magazines covers (yes! with titles and so forth...) to illustrate action scenes, bar brawls, head hunters, Taptapnamai mummy... I asked my players their feedbacks, and they loved it. They affirmed they had the impression of being thrown in a pulp action movie, thanks to this excellent scenario. And the pulp magazines covers greatly helped the immersion. As a result, one of my players is also a gamemaster (Tales from the Loop) and decided to GM his scenario through this meanings. And everybody wants some more pulp now !!! It is likely to become a real pulp serial, if not a campaign... And I will certainly keep up with a real Astounding Adventures table when all this mess is over.

Thanks to Chaosium for this excellent book. Few people here in France have a "real" pulp culture, but this gaming experience proved they are really receptive to the genre. I will certainly run more Astounding Adventures during this confinement - just regret there aren't more scenarios available...

I hope I was understandable in this post, please excuse my english...

Edited by Loïc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much Alter! As soon as the confinement is over, I'm going to order these. I'll add these books to my other pulp materials (Hollow Earth Expedition, Daredevils, Justice inc.)... Thanks also for your blogspot link (and very nice job on the plane)!

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:13 AM, alter said:

You should look for Pulp Egypt and Heroes of Rura-Tonga from Peter Schweighofer. He also got some PWYW scenarios on Drive-Thru. On my blog I post about running Pulp Egypt and preppin for Heroes... 

Here is my shameless plug:

Bigthingswithsmallwings.blogspot.com

I haven’t run Pulp Egypt but Rura Tonga is a classic. Highly recommended!

Edited by rsanford
  • Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

On 3/29/2020 at 1:23 AM, Loïc said:

I hope I was understandable in this post, please excuse my english...

Entirely comprehensible; a few minor quirks that don't prevent my understanding!

Make no excuses for your English -- it needs none!

It's also far better than my French.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig