[brp] xp too kindly? Alternatives?

chuckhazard

I probably wouldn't do the former unless they have the time/money/situation to train outside of game-time (and so increasing in X skill makes sense because they were researching/training it in downtime). The latter seems reasonable if you are only allowing a certain number of points distributed across all skills with a tick because it becomes more of the player's decision whether or not their character actually learnt anything from the experience.

Sure, for the former I was just assuming that they are training in downtime and that we don't necessarily see it explicitly in the game (or well, they can say, "I train in Climbing for a week", or somesuch). depends on the game I guess.

cheers,

Mark

Always start what you finish.

What one RPG (Flashing Blades) did was increase the number of checks required to raise ta skill as skill rating increased.

It also required that skills be maintained. A skill than didn't earn a check during the year would actually drop.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

In the Mouseguard RPG (and maybe Burning Wheel in general, I've only ever played the Mouseguard flavour and have never managed to read through any of the other flavours of BW rules) improving a score requires a certain number of successes and failures (exact number of each escapes me), since players can elect to fail a roll (which CAN then give the GM control of the storyline as well as have immediate game effects) this doesn't make it impossible to raise a skill or trait but can lead to some interesting decisions.

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire