Scenario content

Scenario Content  

20 members have voted

1. 1. When it comes to episodic or short Call of Cthulhu​​​​​​​ adventures, what is your preference for content?

• A real action adventure!
    • The Mystery.
    • Uncovering doom.
    • Digging deep.

When it comes to episodic or short Call of Cthulhu adventures, what is your preference for content? What ticks the boxes for you as a player or Keeper when a session ends?

1. A real action adventure! Mainly combat, plenty of chases, some investigation, little research or digging. "Hey - we may've died but look how many cultists we took out!"
  2. The Mystery. Mainly investigation, plenty of research, some combat, a chase or two. "We uncovered that plot and put a spanner in the works for them! Oh, and Fred died but hey ho."
  3. Uncovering doom. Some research, investigation into that research, the chase, deadly combat. "Once we entered that temple, we'd sealed our fate! The Earth is in trouble now!"
  4. Digging deep. A lot of research (and background)  with handouts galore, investigation with conclusions, a chase and survivable combat. "We discovered the ancient city and it's peoples fate. They tried to stop us taking away that knowledge but we've made it back!"

My own preference, as investigator and Keeper is the mystery. It makes for an entertaining session or three, leaves players with a sense of achievement and involves most elements of the game. With campaigns it is possible to have a mix of all; with type 3. usually the concluding 'episode'. The reason why the Action Adventure doesn't 'do it' for me is that I came from AD&D to RQ2, enjoying the deeper skill use of characters. I love CoC because combat is short and relatively realistic (within the bounds of a game) and so it encourages thought and planning among players.

What does anyone else think? What ... style of adventure d'you like?

• Like 1

Wow, 100% for an action Adventure, that is really surprising.

Perhaps not that surprising after 1 vote, though. I expect that proportion to go down by a lot.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I voted The Mystery, but like others I think, I manage a melting of 2, 3 and 4, especially when I'm running a campaign (and then, even a few 1). When I'm running one-shots, it depends on my desire at that very moment, and my players' state of mind. I regularly consult them so I can offer the best enjoyment as possible.

...and from time to time, I cheat them by running a non Mythos scenario: they're looking for the Mythos, and discover the horror can be just human... Excellent, at least in my experience, both for atmosphere and for maintaining paranoia!

• Like 2