Finalised 31 December: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks, 2020

Nick Brooke

Just updated for Secrets of Heroquesting, Simon Phipp's comprehensive overview of this massive subject. If you're at all familiar with his website, you'll know he has a lot to say about this topic; the book provides a playable approach to heroquests, and is thoroughly cross-referenced to both canonical and popular fan-written sources. He intends to follow up with further volumes fully detailing playable heroquests (again, see the website) -- this book is a thematic/generic summary and framework for theistic heroquesting in central Genertela.

“Ready to do the Impossible? Come along and discover the Secrets of Heroquesting in this all-new Jonstown Compedium! Inside you will find loads of secrets for Game Masters and Adventurers alike. Everything from consolidated Rules for HeroQuesting, how to Become a Hero, how to run HeroQuests, assorted HeroQuesting Tips, descriptions of the Planes of Glorantha, and other Secrets of HeroQuesting. All lavishly illustrated with over 35 illustrations. So whether you are a Humakti lay member wondering what is really going on during those deadly Sacred Time rituals, or if you are an Illuminated Hero looking for clues on how to Heroform, Invoke HeroQuests, or survive on the Other Side while following in Arkat’s footsteps and warping HeroQuests, now is the time to incorporate HeroQuesting into your RuneQuest or QuestWorlds game!”

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 2

Just updated for Whitewall: The Last City of Orlanth, a brief gazetteer to the Volsaxi citadel with two lovely maps (one labelled in French) and some rather whimsical gazetteer entries. I feel slightly bad about publicising this one, because although the author is giving it away free -- and the maps, which are the best parts of the work, are his own original creations -- he has also included a lengthy forum post by Jeff Richard without permission (or copyright notices), and I suspect there will be consequences. I just hope they don't affect the Jonstown Compendium, or Jeff's willingness to share new and interesting information on this forum, more widely.

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

Just updated for Whitewall: The Last City of Orlanth, a brief gazetteer to the Volsaxi citadel with two lovely maps (one labelled in French) and some rather whimsical gazetteer entries. I feel slightly bad about publicising this one, because although the author is giving it away free -- and the maps, which are the best parts of the work, are his own original creations -- he has also included a lengthy forum post by Jeff Richard without permission (or copyright notices), and I suspect there will be consequences. I just hope they don't affect the Jonstown Compendium, or Jeff's willingness to share new and interesting information on this forum, more widely.

Some advice posted in the Jonstown Compendium Creator's Group, and worth reiterating here too:

Folks, please acquaint yourself with the Jonstown Compendium Guidelines before publishing your project. In particular, the section on what is and is not permitted.

Creators can reference information in the approved rulebooks and products. But please refrain from copying directly (an exception to this is monster stats). In general, rather than quote at length from a published work, refer the reader to that work with the appropriate page number (that way we get to sell some books too😎).

Note that work-in-progress or drafts that Chaosium team members share on Facebook or in forums are *not* covered here. They haven't been published yet. If you want to use or reference such material you need to ask first. Just like you would need to ask anyone else about using their original material.

Jonstown Compendium creators may freely use the maps in the Argan Argar Atlas.

If you want to use maps from elsewhere (or art), ensure that you have clear permission to do so and credit the artist or source.

https://support.drivethrurpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036896591-Jonstown-Compendium-Content-Guidelines

• Thanks 2

Updated today: a couple of recent books got their Silver Best-Seller medals (Secrets of Heroquesting and Men of the West), the ratings chart has moved ever so slightly, and (as expected) the Whitewall book is temporarily unavailable while various problems get addressed.

@Bill the barbarian, I'm happy for you to quote me, but please mention the latest position: Nicolas has withdrawn his book from sale while he addresses the issues MOB mentioned.

Updated today: a few ratings chart movements, including Early Family History's entry as an Electrum Best-Seller.

(Plus some overdue formatting tweaks to the front bits, illustrating some of my weirder formatting choices).

It's like the BritPop chart battles all over again: there's a thrilling three-way tie today at the top of the Jonstown Compendium Electrum Best-Sellers chart, and only one way* to resolve it: more happy customers need to rate their favourite purchases over at DriveThruRPG!

* (not technically true)

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1

Over on Facebook, Andrew Logan Montgomery wrote:

We made it. Last night while I was sleeping Six Seasons in Sartar sailed comfortably past the Gold Besteller mark, joining the fantastic A Rough Guide to Glamour as the only two Jonstown Compendium titles to do so. I hate to sound like an Oscars speech, but I really do need to thank those who bought it, those who play it, and those who have taken the time from their busy lives to give me feedback on it. I have said before the best tribe is the Glorantha Tribe, and to me at least this just proves it.

Edited by Nick Brooke

Just updated for Neil Gibson's Legion, a nicely-presented and beautifully-illustrated collection of broo stat-blocks: 20 Rune levels, 26 initiates, 48 lay members, no gross rapey/breeding content, and four pages of interesting new diseases to amuse and entertain your players.

Just updated for Martin Helsdon's War Elephants of Fonrit, a slim booklet about the care, feeding and utilisation of weaponised pachyderms. Plus minor updates re: the Kralori Primer and Jaldonkiller Saga. Oh, and the index just went Electrum: yay me!

• Like 1

Just updated for Jamie "Trotsky" Revell's Kingdom of the Flamesword, a magnificently comprehensive, profoundly non-canonical description of the Kingdom of Seshnela and the Rokari Church for use in HeroQuest games, from the author of the Book of Glorious Joy (which does much the same for Loskalm).

I'm personally delighted to see some unapologetically mediaeval Malkionism on the Jonstown Compendium, and have plans to add some of my own writings, one of these months...

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 27 September: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Vivien Prigent's In a Merry Green Vale, a 165-page systemless sourcebook for the Lysang clan in 1614, designed to fill some of the gaps between the Colymar (HQ: Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes; RQG: GM Screen Pack) and Cinsina (HQ: Red Cow). The author has a neat trick for overcoming the gap between player and character knowledge: the adventurers are all children of exiles, returning to their homeland for the first time under an amnesty.

• Like 3

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 01 October: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Austin Conrad's Children of Melikaphkaz, a short-form cult writeup with bestiary entries for four related cult spirits. Special shout-out for Kris Herbert's cult illo in the style of Kalin Kadiev's artwork from RQG and the GSB. Austin has made the whole product visible as a full-size preview, so you can check this out before you buy it.

• Like 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 12 October: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for several things that happened last week (I was on holiday), and one that happened this morning:

A new development: four art packs. Purchasers can use this artwork in their own character sheets, game handouts and Jonstown Compendium publications (just give the artist a credit and - ideally - a complimentary copy if you use their work in your own books). Martin's artwork is cleaned-up higher-resolution versions of the illustrations from his Warfare in Glorantha series, while Dario's is the board and card art from a print-and-play boardgame on Chaosium's itch.io store: 

Two more books earned their Electrum Best-Seller medals (having sold more than 250 copies): The Corn Dolls (Sandheart Volume Two) and Yozarian's Bandit Ducks (one of the JC launch titles). Having met the necessary sales threshold, both scenarios are being prepared for print-on-demand.

Finally, Tales of the Sun County Militia (Sandheart Volume One) is now available as a print-on-demand hardback.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 13 October: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for The Pendulum and the Pita FREE festive urban horror-themed sitcom investigation by Innes Smith.

Edited by Nick Brooke

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 17 October: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks
  • Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 26 October: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Forged in Blood and Snow, Jamie Revell's take on the semi-barbaric Kingdom of Jonatela, written for QuestWorlds (meaning it's rules-light and flavour-heavy).

This completes his triptych of books on mediaeval kingdoms in the West of Genertela: Loskalm, Seshnela and now Jonatela have been covered in thorough, gloriously non-canonical detail.

• Like 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 4 November: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson, Book One: The Characters, a 243-page blockbuster containing all the freeform character sheets from our fifty-player live-action role-playing game. Lavishly illustrated throughout by Dario Corallo, this book contains all of the information that was in players' hands before the freeform commenced: it's a perfect companion volume to the best-selling Rough Guide to Glamour.

There's also a new page at the back of the index analysing when scenarios are set: by year, and by season, plus a short annex covering all Chaosium's published RQG scenarios.

• Like 1

I've added a spreadsheet listing every title on the Jonstown Compendium (detailing the price, pagecount, medals, ratings, etc.) to the downloads. If you ever bought the index (it's still just 50 cents), you'll find it's been added to your library (or simply log on to DriveThruRPG and visit the product page: link). I'll update this from time to time, probably not every time.

• Like 3

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 21 November: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Dario Corallo's Yelmalions & Allies (his biggest VTT set so far) and the remastered edition of The Corn Dolls & Fortunate Sun, a free upgrade for anyone who bought Jon Webb's original scenario. We'll be getting this prepped for print as quickly as we can, but being realistic it probably won't be out until the New Year.

• Like 1

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 27 November: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated for Graeme Atkinson's topical scenario Kovid's Nineteen, about what happens when a deadly plague assails dozy wooden-headed people. And don't miss Mark Smylie's new cover art for Martin Helsdon's Armies & Enemies of Dragon Pass (phwoar!), just twenty or so sales from its Gold best-seller medal.

The Black Friday to Cyber Monday sale is now on at DriveThruRPG, with many Jonstown Compendium titles at 20% off. So there's never been a better time to catch up on any recent titles you missed on launch.

POD news: The Corn Dolls files are with DriveThruRPG for their pre-print checks; I'm expecting printed proofs of The Duel at Dangerford any day now. And I'm told layout for a print-on-demand edition of Armies & Enemies is about half-way done: it's a complicated book, presenting lots of challenges, but progress is being made.

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 3

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 29 November: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated with Diana Probst's first Monster of the Month, the highly explosive Air Toads, and to celebrate Martin Helsdon's The Armies & Enemies of Dragon Pass earning its Gold best-seller medal by selling more than 500 copies.

• Like 2

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 15 December: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated with Dario Corallo's map and tokens for running the RuneQuest Classic dungeon Snakepipe Hollow on a virtual tabletop. Also includes print-on-demand listings for The Duel at Dangerford, now available as a 40-page softcover book.

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Updated 22 December: Jonstown Compendium Scenarios & Sourcebooks

Just updated with the print-on-demand edition of The Corn Dolls & Fortunate Sun, by Jonathan Webb, Michael O'Brien & Brian Hebert.

All three volumes of the Sandheart series are now available as lavishly-illustrated hardcover books; the first two (Tales of the Sun County Militia & The Corn Dolls) have been significantly enhanced since their first release, with bonus content and many, many new pictures, while the third (Tradition) really didn't need to be.

And finally, I am planning to keep this JC index going in 2021. There'll be a cheap new title to pick up, which I'll do my best to keep updated with every new release; older books' details will be in the 2020 version, with summaries in the 2021 index (no content breakdowns / blurbs / review quotes). That should make it easier to maintain without losing any details.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

Sandhearts.jpg

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1