Questions regarding the Rydychan adventure

On 4/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, The Wanderer said:

Moreover, as they come with their own mercenary soldiers from Salisbury, how would the "servitum debitum" be managed on these manors?

Presumably, you would like to get even more soldiers and knights. So if you have a manor back in Salisbury, that is your first manor, supporting yourself and 3 foot soldiers. When you get a second manor in Rydychan, you want to get a household knight and additional 3 foot soldiers. Not only will this allow you to fulfill your SD obligations to both Countesses, but it will also make you more powerful in fighting against the usurper brothers.

So, no change.

They hired about 30 mercenary soldiers and 10 mercenary knights... 😅 I was wondering if they don't want to upkeep more, if they could use the money to help them pay for the mercenaries the next year.

44 minutes ago, Morien said:

When you get a second manor in Rydychan, you want to get a household knight and additional 3 foot soldiers.

And I think that when they are in Rydychan they will have to use the manor there to mantain themselves as Salisbury is far away.

Posted (edited)

The thing is, as Rydychan is at war, I don't think they would be able to use the resources from their manors in Salisbury once they are settled in Rydychan (remember I am using de adventure  as written in Lordy Domains). Therefore, they will have to use the income from the manors in Rydychan to support themselves. They have brought mercenary soldiers, so I think they could use them to fulfill the SD obligations (they have lots of knights and foot soldiers), and letting them save 1 libram (for no children) and 1.5 libram for no soldiers (no saving from the wife as they'll have to hire a steward).

I would like to know if I am managing it well, regarding BotE/BotW rules.

Of course, these lands are still not granted nor gifted, but "on lease" or "by pleasure". They are "lended" by the baroness of rydychan to "protect and steward".

Maybe I could use the rules for the "leased free farms" (p. 39, BotW) to simplify it, during the years (2-3) of the adventure. And after it, the manors could be gifted to the PKs.

Edited by The Wanderer

Salisbury is not that far, just a few days away. They can certainly at least winter some of the mercenaries there -> use those resources to pay for the mercenaries. At the very very minimum, they should be able to take that £4 render that they'd normally eat themselves and turn it into £2 silver to pay to the mercenaries.

On the most generous side would be to use the full income coming from the Rydychan manors to pay for the mercenaries, allowing the knight to act his own steward since he is there almost constantly. And the £1.5 footman SD could certainly be used to pay for the mercenaries, since the mercenaries will more than fulfill that criteria.

So, up to you, ranging from:

Just £1.5 + £1 saved from kids (harsh)

Just £2.5 + £2 silver = £4.5 (strict)

Full SD £5.5 for that second manor + £1 saved from kids = £6.5 (medium)

Full CR £10 for that second manor (using the £1 DF from Salisbury to support the countess) (generous)

I am tempted to make them support themselves there because although Salisbury isn't very far, it would be risky to send the render (or silver) from Salisbury as Rydychan is occupied by the usurpers and they could raid and steal the caravan. I want to create the feeling of a dangerous land to travel.

And so, it is £4 to support themselves, and I will let them choose if they want to have a steward or not, having a total of 5 or 6 DF depending on that decision.

12 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

I am tempted to make them support themselves there because although Salisbury isn't very far, it would be risky to send the render (or silver) from Salisbury as Rydychan is occupied by the usurpers and they could raid and steal the caravan. I want to create the feeling of a dangerous land to travel.

And so, it is £4 to support themselves, and I will let them choose if they want to have a steward or not, having a total of 5 or 6 DF depending on that decision.

Sure, you can do it like that. Depending a bit on the Countess of Salisbury, she might count the Rydychan adventure as fulfilling the knights' duty to her, in which case their manors should be able to convert that £4 render that the knight is not spending at their home manors into £2 silver, to be collected when they are back. Or if this is more of a PKs' personal project, she would probably insist on that £4 render paid to her since the knight is not there to fulfill the SD.

7 hours ago, Morien said:

Sure, you can do it like that. Depending a bit on the Countess of Salisbury, she might count the Rydychan adventure as fulfilling the knights' duty to her, in which case their manors should be able to convert that £4 render that the knight is not spending at their home manors into £2 silver, to be collected when they are back. Or if this is more of a PKs' personal project, she would probably insist on that £4 render paid to her since the knight is not there to fulfill the SD.

Yes it was a mission appointed by her, collaboring with de baroness of Rydychan and Duke Ulfius ^^

I give them the possibility to send the money to Rydychan, but they have to accept the risk of losing it hehehe

2 hours ago, The Wanderer said:

Is it possible to pay the mercenaries in render? I mean, if they are going to serve you for a year or two. Or do they only accept silver (treasure)?

If I were a mercenary, I would be happy enough to take the upkeep costs in render during the duration of the employment. 'Room and board'. Makes for easier logistics when I don't have to worry about buying my own provisions. Anything extra, though, I would want in silver. So I would probably follow that same rule with mercenaries.

(Note that in my own campaign, we do not use the 2:1 render to treasure conversion, so the issue doesn't come up.)