Valley of Plenty - back on sale!

jrutila

Our playtest game will wrap up tomorrow night! Our poor playtesters are being made to wait to get their copy. :D Once we finish the final scenario, we'll do a short wrap up to set things aside until Book 2 is ready to begin playtesting.

Until then, we'll travel back into Sartar proper and jump forward back to 1618 and the Anmangarn clan. I'll do an actual play thread for that game since I won't be giving things away. 

• Like 3

Inactive account.

Sometimes play test notes are a great addition in this hobby. Spring board for side-ways thinking. I loved reading, Dying Earth material by Ian Thompson, as he always included notes from play tests, to give a different perspective on how an event could play out.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nebuchadnezzar said:

Just picked this up on DTRPG.  Absolutely jaw dropping.  This is the campaign I didn’t know I was looking for, but I’m so glad I found it/you made it.  Simply incredible, thank you so much.

When you can leave a review on the site over there, feel free to cut and paste this in! ;)

Seriously, though, thank you so much for the kind words. We're beyond thrilled with the reception and are working hard on the next book!

Inactive account.

31 minutes ago, Nebuchadnezzar said:

Just picked this up on DTRPG.  Absolutely jaw dropping.  This is the campaign I didn’t know I was looking for, but I’m so glad I found it/you made it.  Simply incredible, thank you so much.

Wow. You definitely made my day! Nothing makes me happier than a happy reader!

Just now, jrutila said:

I wrote a review about Valley of Plenty: https://worldsofqw.wordpress.com/2020/06/10/valley-of-plenty-review/

I would appreciate constructive feedback about the review as this was my first time writing a longer review of, well, about anything. So, please be gentle.

It sucks! :)

Just kidding. Generally I liked it a lot; you included a link to the product (which is something a lot of reviewers forget to do), you covered the contents well, and you addressed the flaws in the product as well. You provided plenty of follow up material.

Honestly there's not a lot to hate in that review - kudos.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have not been able to do more than skim the book, but I just read the blog page and I have a small request if not done already.

My group size is one - player. We are both novices to the setting. I have one request of the developer’s, and that is some npc sidekick children with some background, to fill in the gap of a normal party. I only ask this (as I could do it myself, but not as good), as the writer’s know the setting and could set up friendships and animosity’s. I am sure other gm’s could find a use for them also, maybe in the same situation or with only 2 players (not sure what the default group size is expected to be). Totally understand if not possible, but just thought to put it out there. Maybe just take some from the play test and give some advancement notes so they can grow also.

Thanks.

Edited by Aprewett
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Aprewett said:

My group size is one - player. We are both novices to the setting. I have one request of the developer’s, and that is some npc sidekick children with some background, to fill in the gap of a normal party. I only ask this (as I could do it myself, but not as good), as the writer’s know the setting and could set up friendships and animosity’s. I am sure other gm’s could find a use for them also, maybe in the same situation or with only 2 players (not sure what the default group size is expected to be). Totally understand if not possible, but just thought to put it out there. Maybe just take some from the play test and give some advancement notes so they can grow also.

It is entirely possible for us to give some NPC examples. Hara and Ula are already in the book (in the early bits everyone starts with the same child stats and NPCs can be raised as the PC is) and the game will run well enough with 3 Wildlings. 

There's a few things on my plate this morning, but give me a bit of time. 

• Like 3

Inactive account.

Here's 4 Wildling NPCs I put together.

Their stats are the same as the Wildling PCs. I have provided no gender as I leave it up to the GM and players to decide on the gender makeup of the group and it makes no difference for the stats. If a PC wants one of the NPCs to be a potential love interest, set their gender accordingly and adjust their name if required.

Have fun with them and use them if needed to round out the Wildlings or as NPCs to pop up as adversaries or allies.

Name: Arvinga

Bloodline: Bentorthenoring

Ring Role: The Quiet One

Keywords: Very perceptive, always watching everything. Rarely speaks.

Look: A wide-eyed, tall child always wearing their light hair in a messy braid.

Arvinga is tall for their age. They have always been taller, their mother commenting on them being a large baby. Neither of their parents are particularly noteworthy in size. Among the Wildlings, they rarely get a word in edgewise but when they do speak, the others, even Ula, tend to listen. They are the first to spot a bird, frog, or adult acting oddly.

Name: Orlonil

Bloodline: Odvarning

Ring Role: The Deceptive One

Keywords: A fast talker with unassuming features and an air of mischief about them. Even for a Wildling

Look: There’s nothing remarkable about this child at all. Well-tanned, dark hair, and skinned knees look normal.

Orlonil looks like the average child in Dundealosford. Until a closer examination shows a gleam in their eyes that can be unsettling. Their grandmother, with a wink and a nod after too much fermented mare’s milk, says there’s a bit of Eurmal in them. That being said, the Wildings trust them implicitly and they have never done them wrong.

Name: Sarigsdal

Bloodline: Keldoring

Ring Role: The Confidante

Keywords: Peace is easier to achieve with them around. Open ears and kind eyes turn no one away.

Look: Born with red hair, they have a fierce set to their jaw that belies their gentle nature.

Sarigsdal’s parents threaten every year to return to the range and leave the city behind. They assure the Wildlings this will not happen. If a secret needs keeping, they are the one to tell it to. Still, it is hard to deny their bloodline and when a fight arrives; they swing as hard as the next kid.

Name: Uroxarios

Bloodline: Ardantharning

Ring Role: The Big One

Keywords: Under their layer of fat, a weakness for sweets cannot be beat, they possess the muscle and heart of an older person.

Look: Not tall, but round. They make precise movements, using their bulk to get through anyone not fast enough to move from their way.

Uroxarios takes ribbing about their size good-naturedly. Most of the time. Should someone get carried away, they will go straight to Ula to devise a plan for payback. They say with pride they take after their mother, big in body and voice, and the first on the line when the clan needs a fighter. They aspire to be the same.

• Like 5

Inactive account.

Quick POD update. There was a minor issue with the print file that Dixie will be fixing this weekend. She was on vacation and has a day job. Sheesh! The nerve! :D (Isn't she amazing though? The book is so sweet!) Then it is back and off. After that it's wait for the pod proof. Once we're at the waiting for it step, we'll let you know!

• Like 4

Inactive account.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, Minion1stClass said:

BTW if you read the book or run the game and have any questions, feel free to ask me! 

Finally had a chance to pick it up yesterday - just from my initial skim, this is really great material!  The whole concept of introducing the game and the world by starting in childhood is very cool (and much of it could readily be transported into another clan setting).  Love the frog and mudpuppy!

One of the great things with HQG/QW is the flexibility to run characters all the way from children onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

(and much of it could readily be transported into another clan setting)

Thanks, again! 

That was our intent. Our main goal was to hook people on the Jaldonkiller Saga, but we also tried to make the presentation of the book a template that could be easily adjusted to some other clan. We've actually thought about doing something similar for the Anmangarn clan at some point.

1 minute ago, Shawn Carpenter said:

We've actually thought about doing something similar for the Anmangarn clan at some point.

The difficulty with the Anmangarn is that they really seem to be less of a clan and more of a warrior society. (At least the depictions in SKoH suggest this.)

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The difficulty with the Anmangarn is that they really seem to be less of a clan and more of a warrior society. (At least the depictions in SKoH suggest this.)

I personally see it as more that they're a clan that's formed around a warrior society. The Black Spear is central to the clan, but food needs to be grown, houses need to be built, etc. Which could very well lead to tensions when the people supporting the warriors' sacred lifestyle feel underappreciated and taken for granted.

31 minutes ago, Leingod said:

The Black Spear is central to the clan, but food needs to be grown, houses need to be built,

Except that they are presented as a war clan, largely raising/herding black bulls. And as a clan that you only enter via adoption (not via birth).

It's perhaps questionable if they really are a clan and not just a warrior society.

However, that was the presentation in SKoH, which is now 11+ years ago.  Jeff may have very different views of the Anmangarn at this point and how they function.