Valley of Plenty - back on sale!

jrutila

10 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Except that they are presented as a war clan, largely raising/herding black bulls. And as a clan that you only enter via adoption (not via birth).

It's perhaps questionable if they really are a clan and not just a warrior society.

However, that was the presentation in SKoH, which is now 11+ years ago.  Jeff may have very different views of the Anmangarn at this point and how they function.

Where does it say any of that? Their write-up in SKoH only says:

Also known as the Black Spear clan, due to the sacred object that Chief Colymar bore when he led the first clan to these lands. The spear was a sacred object for many years after the creation of the Colymar Tribe, but a dispute about its use nearly led to violence in the house of the king. To resolve the dispute, King Korlmar sent the spear into the wilderness, and swore that only those who could “follow” it, as in the old days, would deserve to have it. He was among those who found it, and in the wilds those people swore a special oath whose contents are known only to them, and to the clan that was made to defend the secrets. They are the Anmangarn clan, who are also noted for the fine black bulls that they breed.

Which makes them sound like a more or less normal clan, War clan or no. The write-up in the Adventure Book of the GameMaster Screen Pack for RQG, similarly, doesn't portray them as a warrior society that's just called a clan for some reason:

This small clan of about 450 people is also known as the “Black Spear clan” due to the sacred object that Chief Colymar bore when he led the first clan to these lands. The spear was a sacred object for many years after the creation of the Colymar tribe, but a dispute about its use nearly led to violence in the house of the king. To resolve this dispute, King Korlmar sent the spear into the elf wilderness, and swore that only those who could “follow” it, as was done in the old days, would deserve to have it. He was among those who found it, and in the wilds those people swore a special oath whose contents are known only to them, and to the clan that was made to defend the secrets. The Anmangarn are counted as one of the clans descended from the original Black Spear clan.

The clan’s initiation rites are notably fierce and often result in the death of the youths that fail—the clan is famed for the toughness and ferocity of their warriors, and many serve as retainers for the tribal king. They are also noted for the fine black bulls that they breed.

The Anmangarn worship the Black Spear as their wyter and are its sworn guardians—as a result, the Anmangarn always follow the Black Spear into battle. They are otherwise aloof from tribal politics, owing loyalty only to the lawful tribal kin who wields the Black Spear. After Leika’s exile in 1615, the Anmangarn refused to acknowledge Kangharl as tribal king since he did not possess the Black Spear. The clan chieftain is Vestorfin, a wily old Wind Lord loyal to Queen Leika.

An especially "tough" clan, but still a clan going by this write-up.

Edited by Leingod

4 hours ago, Leingod said:

Which makes them sound like a more or less normal clan, War clan or no.

Sorry, it's in Sartar Companion p.48, not SKoH

The Black Spear Clan is a troop of professional warriors whose principal occupations are hunting and waging war. They stand apart from the rest of Colymar society and are charged with defending the sacred regalia of the Colymar Tribe: the Black Spear. They are a War Clan, living off war and hunting; they do not farm. They breed the fine black bulls of the Anmangarn, who belong to the gods.

Also:

The Anmangarn is a small clan, rarely numbering even 450 members. Due to their violent and harsh existence they have few children amongst them; with most fostered to other clans.

And:

Obtaining membership in the Anmangarn Clan is extremely difficult. All applicants must swear to defend the Black Spear against the enemies of the Colymar tribe with their life and soul. The applicant is then subjected to a number of rigorous, sometimes fatal, tests....

The "obtaining membership" and initiation tests (several described) are what lead me to describe entry into the clan as "adoption".  When they have kids, they are fostered out. 

My Anmangarn are a small, semi-nomadic hunter gatherer clan. They maintain the village of Blackspear to provide a safe haven for children and elders who are unable to withstand the rigors of living in the wilds. The clan is responsible for maintaining the safety of the Black Spear, which they do through a special warrior society called the Black Spear Guard. Only Anmangarn or those adopted into the clan as Anmangarn can join the BSG, and they still must survive the society's rigorous initiation tests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Btw, just thought I'd note that while I'm not running a Valley of Plenty campaign (still running the Orlmarth/Colymar campaign from SKoH), I've drafted in the Wildlings as NPC's into the Orlmarth clan - just too good not to include! 🙂

Ah, I knew I had heard of them (I'm one of the players, who's character(s) are currently looking for them ...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!!!! Just received today my DriveThru order, including Valley of Plenty (the only missing book is A Rough Guide to Glamour... coming soon I hope) !!! UPS was carrying a movement rune...

...and I know what I'm going to read tonight... 😊

Edited by Loïc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Valley of Plenty is available to purchase once again from the Jonstown Compendium! The authors say:

Due to popular demand, we are re-releasing Valley of Plenty! 

We will be releasing an updated, deluxe edition later this year, but if you want to jump into the exciting life a Dundealos tribesman, you can purchase this PDF version now and receive the new PDF version when it's released at no additional cost!

More details here.

• Like 6