Jump to content
Runeblogger

French covers of RQ3 and Herowars

Recommended Posts

I don’t want to further derail the Wind Words thread with this, so I’ll post it here.

Apart from the Japanese covers, I also tracked all the covers for the French edition of RQ3 and HeroWars. It might be of interest to some of you. 

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/runequest-y-heroquest-en-frances.html

Any French members of this forum are more than welcome to correct any mistakes in my post. 🙏😁

 

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks!

there was also the journal of the publishing house, Tatoo, which offered nice illustrations and one fanzione, les Erudits de l'Ambigu published a very beautiful blacka and white map of the Culbrea tula. 

Culbrea clan.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Minlister said:

Thanks!

there was also the journal of the publishing house, Tatoo, which offered nice illustrations and one fanzione, les Erudits de l'Ambigu published a very beautiful blacka and white map of the Culbrea tula. 

Does the article say which author's Culbrea tribe this was? I have first seen the Gwandor in Ingo Tschinke's (and friends') version of Jonstown, but I think that the Culbri first came to my attention as part of Martin Laurie's Gwandor saga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Minlister said:

one fanzine, les Erudits de l'Ambigu published a very beautiful black and white map of the Culbrea tula. 

Thanks !! ;)

2 hours ago, 7Tigers said:

Les Erudits de l'Ambigu Culbrea articles were Martin Laurie's Gwandor saga translation.

Indeed -- and only a small part of his original work.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I don’t want to further derail the Wind Words thread with this, so I’ll post it here.

Apart from the Japanese covers, I also tracked all the covers for the French edition of RQ3 and HeroWars. It might be of interest to some of you. 

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/runequest-y-heroquest-en-frances.html

Any French members of this forum are more than welcome to correct any mistakes in my post. 🙏😁

 

Hi! I'm French and I own several of these books (1987 RQ3 by Oriflam, the second edition screen...). As far as I know, I didn't notice any mistake. 😉

Just a word about Multisim's HeroWars edition... I own all of them, and I remember french roleplayers had very mixed feelings about it when Multisim published them. 1st reason: some RQ gamers were destabilized by the technical/narrative approach of the game, and that is proper to each. The 2nd reason is, I think, quite specific to Multisim edition. In fact, some of the books are mixed of several Issaries books. Example: Multisim's HeroWars mixes Issaries' Hero Wars - Roleplaying in Glorantha, the Hero's Book and the Narrator's Book, Game Mastering in the Hero Wars. Add to this that french roleplayers weren't (and still aren't...) used to the size of the books, it made them really confused...

And then, I think (and I'm not alone) it's the best HW/HQ french edition ever. The quality of paper, cover illustrations... Even the mixed up text content, that forces you to plunge into the universe... At this time, a great great RPG discover!!! 😍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loïc said:

Hi! I'm French and I own several of these books (1987 RQ3 by Oriflam, the second edition screen...). As far as I know, I didn't notice any mistake. 😉

Just a word about Multisim's HeroWars edition... I own all of them, and I remember french roleplayers had very mixed feelings about it when Multisim published them. 1st reason: some RQ gamers were destabilized by the technical/narrative approach of the game, and that is proper to each. The 2nd reason is, I think, quite specific to Multisim edition. In fact, some of the books are mixed of several Issaries books. Example: Multisim's HeroWars mixes Issaries' Hero Wars - Roleplaying in Glorantha, the Hero's Book and the Narrator's Book, Game Mastering in the Hero Wars. Add to this that french roleplayers weren't (and still aren't...) used to the size of the books, it made them really confused...

And then, I think (and I'm not alone) it's the best HW/HQ french edition ever. The quality of paper, cover illustrations... Even the mixed up text content, that forces you to plunge into the universe... At this time, a great great RPG discover!!! 😍

It is correct that the french Hero Wars book contained the english Hero Wars AND Narrators Book. 
The french Glorantha book was a translation of Peter Metcalfes Glorantha MANUSCRIPT, not of the edited book that was published in english. 
The french version phrases some things differently AND has some paragraphs MORE in it then the english Hero Wars book (for instance the Mostali Heresies, and some Troll Gods descriptions). 
I know that because the german edition is a mix of the english and french edition (translating the english version of the text, but adding the stuff that appeared only in the french edition). 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oriflam also pusblished RQ3 material in their Tatou magazine, for instance :

tatou-n-2-magazine-pour-les-aventuriers-

However, StormBringer, Hawkmoon and later Cyberpunk, all published by Oriflam, were more popular, so they had more covers than RQ.

In my humble opinion, the articles from Tatou were far more interesting for complete beginners like me to understand Glorantha than encyclopedic works like RQ3' Genertela...

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I don’t want to further derail the Wind Words thread with this, so I’ll post it here.

Apart from the Japanese covers, I also tracked all the covers for the French edition of RQ3 and HeroWars. It might be of interest to some of you. 

https://elruneblog.blogspot.com/2019/08/runequest-y-heroquest-en-frances.html

Any French members of this forum are more than welcome to correct any mistakes in my post. 🙏😁

 

As far as my bad Spanish allows me to understand, what you wrote on Oriflam products is correct (and very good). I do not own the other covered products so can not answer on them.

48 minutes ago, Mugen said:

Oriflam also pusblished RQ3 material in their Tatou magazine, for instance :

tatou-n-2-magazine-pour-les-aventuriers-

However, StormBringer, Hawkmoon and later Cyberpunk, all published by Oriflam, were more popular, so they had more covers than RQ.

In my humble opinion, the articles from Tatou were far more interesting for complete beginners like me to understand Glorantha than encyclopedic works like RQ3' Genertela...

Yes. Quite a number (especially in the end) were translations taken from  "Tales of the Reaching Moon".

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in putting international versions of Glorantha publications on the Well of Daliath. People love to look at the covers.

Can anyone point me to a listing of Tatou, contents and covers? or would like to add them to the site or other international publishers?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Can anyone point me to a listing of Tatou, contents and covers? or would like to add them to the site or other international publishers?

As far as I know, it does not exist.

About RuneQuest scenario content, here it is what  I compiled:

Tatou #01 La piste des broos
Tatou #02 Les chemins de sartar
Tatou #03 Les loups de boldome
Tatou #04 Le coeur des démons
Tatou #05 Le rebelle
Tatou #06 Le gros coup (Sandy Petersen en Fonrit) => from Heroes v01  #06
Tatou #07 L' épidémie
Tatou #11 La quête de l'ancêtre => from ToTRM #03
Tatou #14 Les os de pierre => from ToTRM #08
Tatou #15 La vengeance de niall => from ToTRM #09
Tatou #17 Pour le septième du septième de tes enfants (dans une île au large de Seshnela)
Tatou #21 Le taureau par les cornes => from RQ Adventures #03
Tatou #22 Le marais du diable => from RQ Adventures #03
+ not Glorantha:
Tatou #23 Une chasse au renard particulière (Land of Ninja)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other day I was browsing through some Casus Belli issues with RuneQuest content. The best scenario I found was "Anisha", in #77, set in Sun County. Although the background for the scenario was a bit convoluted. I guess some French authors must be already adapting old scenarios to publish them in the Jonstown Compendium. ☺️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Loïc said:

Hi! I'm French and I own several of these books (1987 RQ3 by Oriflam, the second edition screen...). As far as I know, I didn't notice any mistake. 😉

Just a word about Multisim's HeroWars edition... I own all of them, and I remember french roleplayers had very mixed feelings about it when Multisim published them. 1st reason: some RQ gamers were destabilized by the technical/narrative approach of the game, and that is proper to each. The 2nd reason is, I think, quite specific to Multisim edition. In fact, some of the books are mixed of several Issaries books. Example: Multisim's HeroWars mixes Issaries' Hero Wars - Roleplaying in Glorantha, the Hero's Book and the Narrator's Book, Game Mastering in the Hero Wars. Add to this that french roleplayers weren't (and still aren't...) used to the size of the books, it made them really confused...

And then, I think (and I'm not alone) it's the best HW/HQ french edition ever. The quality of paper, cover illustrations... Even the mixed up text content, that forces you to plunge into the universe... At this time, a great great RPG discover!!! 😍

I am among those that had mixed feelings about Multisim's HeroWars, this is the least I can say. While reading the two core books I really asked myself several times what was this setting they were talking about. I barely recognized Glorantha in this mess. It was indeed very frustrating and kept me away from Glorantha for a very loooong time. I didn't like the french edition of RQ3 neither and beyond the translation a good part of my dislike came from the art and from the covers. The art was, in my opinion of course, awful and inappropriate as far as Glorantha was concerned. I had the feeling the art was taken from for another setting. It was a vision that was too far from mine.

Of course it boils down to personal tastes but I noted at the time that those that didn't knew Glorantha before were far more tolerant of RQ3 art than those that knew it before.

Edited by Corvantir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

I guess some French authors must be already adapting old scenarios to publish them in the Jonstown Compendium. ☺️

I hope the rules are changed soon to allow that. Currently they say:

  • Note: we may permit content in other languages at a later time, but for now all Jonstown Compendium materials must be in English.

Obviously it's easier if you write your own stuff (as you've already got permission, and don't need to work out any royalty splits, etc.), but if the original authors are happy for you to adapt their work for publication via the JC, go for it! It's great that there are so many scenarios on our community site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

The other day I was browsing through some Casus Belli issues with RuneQuest content. The best scenario I found was "Anisha", in #77, set in Sun County. Although the background for the scenario was a bit convoluted. I guess some French authors must be already adapting old scenarios to publish them in the Jonstown Compendium. ☺️

There were also some articles and adventures in a french magazine called Runes. In spite of its name, the magazine was not centered on Glorantha.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 7Tigers said:

As far as I know, it does not exist.

You might find this useful, I just found it: http://fanzines.jdr.wiki.free.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Tatou#Num.C3.A9ro_1

7 minutes ago, Corvantir said:

There were also some articles and adventures in a french magazine called Runes

http://fanzines.jdr.wiki.free.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Runes & http://www.runes-le-magazine.com

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Minlister said:

And Boldhome iis a long time favorite

Yes, that map of Boldhome was beautiful. Olivier has surpassed it now, of course, but at the time it blew me away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Minlister said:

Maybe their more original vision was the form they gave the durulz

I liked that duck, I always imagined that's how a Pavis/EWF/Godlearner Duck looked. It must have been in an English book too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the depiction of the Durulz you need to show to people who hate the Durulz. 😁 When my friends and I saw it for the 1st time in the Spanish edition of HeroQuest (1.0), one of my friends said: "If someone had shown to me this picture years ago, I woud have been playing ducks since then."  😏   (deep breath)

Images have such a big impact, particularly in fantasy, that sometimes it is even scary. On the one hand, they shouldn't have such a big impact, because we're talking about imagined worlds, so you can picture things whatever you like in your mind, but on the other, images do have that huge impact in our imaginations. It's like when you read The Lord of the Rings and then you watched the movies, and then all of a sudden you can't go back and read the book without seeing Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, David Scott said:

I liked that duck, I always imagined that's how a Pavis/EWF/Godlearner Duck looked. It must have been in an English book too.

Wasn't it in Hero Wars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Minlister said:

Maybe their more original vision was the form they gave the durulz

 

duck.JPG

That image actually appeared in the English language original of Hero Wars, p.240.

Leafing through my copy (one of the few HW books unavailable from the Vault) I found a couple of other images that are well worth bringing back, and others that may be decidedly un-canonical yet still quite cool.

4 hours ago, Corvantir said:

I am among those that had mixed feelings about Multisim's HeroWars, this is the least I can say. While reading the two core books I really asked myself several times what was this setting they were talking about. I barely recognized Glorantha in this mess. It was indeed very frustrating and kept me away from Glorantha for a very loooong time. I didn't like the french edition of RQ3 neither and beyond the translation a good part of my dislike came from the art and from the covers. The art was, in my opinion of course, awful and inappropriate as far as Glorantha was concerned. I had the feeling the art was taken from for another setting. It was a vision that was too far from mine.

I wonder where your vision came from, then. RQ2?

When I joined the German RQ community, there were quite a number of RQ2 die-hards on the conventions, with notions about Glorantha that were quite alien to me. My understanding of Glorantha came from RQ3 Genertela Box, RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, and then subsequently (RQ3) Troll Pak and slow access to RQ2 material. I got to read the Pavis Box and Cults of Prax material just before I came across Sun County, King of Sartar, and the Tales of the Reaching Moon articles. I bought RQ2 Companion at a German convention, and that started me into playing in Glorantha, in Heortland.

Many of the assumptions of people who had a different entry into the setting keep surprising me.

That said, I had some insight into Hero Wars while things were prepared for publication. I first met Greg at Convulsion 1994 and then several times at other conventions, and by 1998 Greg had an idea who this obnoxious German was, and so did the online community. There are some things where I wish I had had more input, too.

My idea about the Sartarites had shifted from continental Danubian/eastern Alpine Gauls (to avoid the term Celts) towards a mixture of King of Sartar (Greg's anthology), Pavis Box and Trollpak (the only RQ2 publications giving information on Sartar that went beyond Apple Lane and the hiring scene in Snake Pipe Hollow), then heavily influenced by Digest discussions. David Dunham's King of Dragon Pass computer game provided the next major re-assessment of the Orlanthi of Sartar.

Then I came across Penny Love's novel The Widow's Tale, and @Runeblogger describes my initial reaction to the novel quite accurately.

 

Quote

Of course it boils down to personal tastes but I noted at the time that those that didn't knew Glorantha before were far more tolerant of RQ3 art than those that knew it before.

There wasn't that much of tolerable interior RQ3 art in the boxed sets anyways. The covers of the Avalon Hill RQ3 boxes were all quite acceptable. The interior illustrations of Gods of Glorantha and Genertela Box were at times bewildering. One of my first comments on Glorantha being different from how RQ3 products described it was about the knight in the Fronela chapter, and how I thought knights in Glorantha should be imagined, going pre- or onset Dark Ages/Late Western Roman Empire at best rather than late Middle Ages or (Italian early) Renaissance.

Did you have any problems with the RQ3 Renaissance artwork in Sun County, River of Cradles, Dorastor (admittedly with a weird cover until you realize that it is a depiction of Gloranthan artwork), Shadows on the Borderlands, Strangers in Prax?

Edited by Joerg
clarity about the boxed sets period
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...