Inheritance, widow's portion and such issues

13 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

But still, I (and my players) love this knid of game ala Game Of Thrones 🤣

It can be fun, although it can end up taking over or even completely derailing the game. In fact Mordred rebellion appears to be mostly over his being recognized as Arthur's heir.

13 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

You know, William thought he was fortunate to marry a heiress, but... he had a son from the previous marriage and after his death, all the land was again splitted between heirs! Isn't it funny? 😂

Not to William's son!

I've had a few similar situation crop up in my campaign. Ususally an heiress just means a little extra pocket money. Then she dies and the party's over.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

Not to William's son!

I've had a few similar situation crop up in my campaign. Ususally an heiress just means a little extra pocket money. Then she dies and the party's over.

That's the thing.  It would've been a great deal if she was his first wife, with the heir of his and her being the same person.

1 hour ago, The Wanderer said:

So... I thought her portion would be 1/3 of her own manor and 1/3 of William's manor. But now I understand seems that she gets 1/3 of William's manor her entire manor until her heir is grown. 

Then, the uncle would only have 2/3 of William's manor, so only 1 knight of servitum debitum (himself). That means that de HHK she had sex with and now wants to marry is HER own HHK 😂 so...  I think in that case only the countess would have something to say, as neither he has to say about Elizabeth, nor her HHK, right?

Actually it could go either way (as Atgxtg said it can get very complicated), but if you have already ruled it one way in your campaign, you should keep it like that. I was still remembering the "£3 deal until her children are grown" -deal. :)

There is also the fact that since I was going to move for the 'emancipated' model myself, my brain was already in the headspace of letting the widowed heiress keep her own land while her children are growing, or, indeed, until she dies. But that emancipated model would actually let her choose her own husband anyway, rather than need the Countess' permission.

On 4/22/2020 at 11:44 AM, The Wanderer said:

That's the thing.  It would've been a great deal if she was his first wife, with the heir of his and her being the same person.

As Morien said you should keep it the way you previously rules it. Unless you want to run some sort of adventure around a rival claimant or something. Then you have them use all sorts of legal tricks, bribes and whatnot to try and ron the PK of his estates. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.