Weirdness of scales

GAZZA

So I'm about to start my first RQG game in about 9 hours from now. I've decided to use a start date of 1615 (thank you to the Early History creators!) and I'm going to kick off with River of Cradles. Character creation was last week; I have a Grazeland Healer worshipping Yelm, a Noble Praxian Bison Rider Storm Bull, a Sartarite Humakti Warrior, and an Odayalan Old Tarshite Hunter. I've given them all a bit of background that gets them to one of the banks of the Zola Fel river, and if you know RoC you know that's pretty much when the fun starts.

Anyway we are of course social distancing so I'm about to stick the basic maps I'll need into Roll 20, and I noticed the scale: 1" = 12 meters. I had to laugh - who uses both of those units? I'm an Aussie, so metres is fine (though note what I would consider "correct" spelling ;) ), and obviously nearing four decades of gaming supplements largely from the US I'm well familiar with what an inch is, but I do have to wonder why RQ - almost uniquely out of fantasy RPGs, certainly at the time it was created - decided on metres instead of yards, and yet still uses inches as a scale. Is there some history there?

7 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Anyway we are of course social distancing so I'm about to stick the basic maps I'll need into Roll 20, and I noticed the scale: 1" = 12 meters.

If you want, use 1cm = 5 meters, that works just as well and won't give you a Imperial/Metric headache.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 4/3/2020 at 8:02 PM, Richard S. said:

Maybe it had something to do with the authors being involved in things like wargaming?

And early wargames in the USA tended to be on squares & hexes set to a 1" scale...

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, soltakss said:

If you want, use 1cm = 5 meters, that works just as well and won't give you a Imperial/Metric headache.

Except in Glorantha, where the Lunars are Imperial .... and use Metric.

And the Metrics are Mostali.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig