RQ3 Conversion

GAZZA

So I'm in the process of converting River of Cradles for RQG, and I'm having to make a few judgement calls. In RQ3, APP was basically irrelevant for non-PCs to the point that many published characters don't even have one (e.g. the baboons in RoC's first encounter). Since CHA in RQG now takes many of the responsibilities of INT as far as spirit magic is concerned, I am basically setting CHA of such characters to whatever their INT is.

Fetches in RQG, assuming an average roll to awaken, have only 2D6 CHA (as opposed to RQ3's 3D6 INT), so I'm reducing Fetch CHA to 2/3 of the RQ3 INT.

I'm really not sure what to do about Runes, so for the moment I'm just going to assume that Shamans and Rune Lord status have a base 100% chance to cast their Rune Magic (as they would have in RQ3); hopefully that's all I'll need for disposable characters at least. Similarly I'm going to basically ignore passions.

Anyone have any other tips for such conversions? (Or, especially, if you have better ideas for the way I'm handling it).

• Like 2

Yes, for the most part do not sweat it.There are two pages or so in the back of the rules to take note of, give them a read.. Easy, I do not do a lot of altering myself. Do make sure the conversions you make are according to and bring the adventurer up to RQG standards and rules and adjust until this happens, CHA is too low, adjust to match RQG rules which either means raise CHA or drop spells until you meet the RQG rules. Easy, Need an 18 CHA to have a Rune Lord, make it so... Easy. Oh, do not raise a passion to 100, for one it is not necessary as rune spells only have a 95% chance to be cast, anyway in RQG and RQ3 and you do not lose much in the way of specials ( a percentage?) and nothing in the way of crits, More importantly  passions above 80 mean the player has less control of himself or herself then he or she might be willing to have as 80% and above you are moving to being fanatic and the GM is well in their rights to try and compel you to act against your wishes or have you risk losing percentages if you wish to act against your passion . Remember you are changing to match RQG rules, not to match RQ 3 rules. Some spells will have to be dropped, They are in the conversion rules (there are only two pages in the rules for all conversion so again nothing to sweat over) or have then  become special spells known only to the NPC or adventurer. 

There are a couple more things that I can not think of at the moment, but the most important is MGF, maximum gain fun, use handwavium as desired, it’s in the rules (MGF and YGWV). Needless to say the  folk that follow me with advise will give you more changes, notes and thoughts then you can possible use if you play for a century. Use simplicity and fun as your guide read the two or so pages of conversion listen to the points you like from your peers here (including me) and remember to ask your table for their opinions, and have fun.

Good luck and cheers

• Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

I'd say don't bother with conversions for most NPC opponents: use the RQ3 or RQ2 stats basically "as is," until something strikes you as wrong, then wing it in play. You do not need to be spending your time wrangling numbers before you start playing. If you're using some high-end type like a shaman or sorcerer or rune priest, you might need to take more care, but for grunts and cannon fodder: who cares?

And I completely agree about ignoring Passions and Runes for NPCs. They don't ever get to try for inspiration unless it's an important part of your scenario, and in that case they probably succeed by fiat (eg: "The Malani warriors have +20% weapon skills in this assault because they Hate your group after you burned their stead to the ground").

• Like 5

9 hours ago, GAZZA said:

I'm really not sure what to do about Runes, so for the moment I'm just going to assume that Shamans and Rune Lord status have a base 100% chance to cast their Rune Magic (as they would have in RQ3); hopefully that's all I'll need for disposable characters at least. Similarly I'm going to basically ignore passions.

If they are Rune Lords, then assume they are 100% in the cult runes and cast Rune Magic at same. That also gives you some guidance for their personalities - they act like their gods - and you can use those Runes for inspiration of relevant to the game. 

If there is a description of the character and it notes some strong trait (e.g. Rurik is devoted to Yelmalio and hates trolls), then you have the Passions.  Otherwise assume the Rune Lord is Devoted to the god and Loyal to their temple, if important to the game, but otherwise ignore.

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

If they are Rune Lords, then assume they are 100% in the cult runes and cast Rune Magic at same. That also gives you some guidance for their personalities - they act like their gods - and you can use those Runes for inspiration of relevant to the game. 

For Element Runes, I would assume 100 to 120% in the cult runes. For Power Runes, even 60% is a realistic value in a second Power Rune associated with the cult. Thus theoretically a Sword of Humakt could have 90% in Truth and 60% in Death. I agree that such a rune distribution is quite unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Going with 95% for one rune and 75% for the other would be more likely. That is the curse of the opposed trait treatment of the Power Runes, and all the cults lacking Element runes, in RQG. Either you play a bad and often silly caricature of a human being (on the level of the HW/HQ1 disciples which were suggested for retirement), or your rune lord is severely lacking in magical advantage.

What happens if a Rune Lord of a Power Runes only cult falls below 90% in both Power Runes due to fumbled inspiration? Does the consecration still work, or are her magical powers limited to those of an initiate starting with that rune loss? And what about taking damage to CHA e.g. from a disease?)

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Thanks for all the help guys! I must confess that I cheat a lot with NPCs; I don't really have the time or inclination to work out what Runic Inspirations or Passions might be invoked for Random Trollkin #13. RQG could use a simplified mechanic for NPCs, perhaps this is something that could be considered for the campaign book?

3 hours ago, GAZZA said:

Thanks for all the help guys! I must confess that I cheat a lot with NPCs; I don't really have the time or inclination to work out what Runic Inspirations or Passions might be invoked for Random Trollkin #13. RQG could use a simplified mechanic for NPCs, perhaps this is something that could be considered for the campaign book?

I have a chart on a piece of cardboard:

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 hours ago, David Scott said:

I have a chart on a piece of cardboard:

That's really useful. Just one question - are the percentages there intended to be actual percentages, or percentages of the PC's corresponding skills? (I'm guessing the former, which is fine - if I want 245% dudes running around they are probably fine to stat up properly).

9 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Another idea: 
Have a look at the NPC stats from RQ3 Apple Lane, and compare them with the RQG stats of the same persons in the GM Screen Pack. 
It has been 11 years in between the two scenarios, but you get an idea. 

Never thought of that - that's an excellent idea as well, cheers.

14 hours ago, GAZZA said:

are the percentages there intended to be actual percentage

So a Wind Lord of Orlanth might look like this:

Animals
Bargaining - 
Combat - Excellent 90%
Customs
Leadership
Magic - Excellent 90%
Plants
Wealth

Spirit Magic points good 9 points 

Rune points Excellent 7 

Helper spirits / allied spirits Excellent 1

Magic Items very good  0

Hit Points Good 15

Armour very good 6pts

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/